• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,551 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Bumble Kitty said:

I received a small batch of books today.  

I was very happy with the grade on this book:

DiarySecrets 16 front.jpg

Amazing book! I have one I have to get graded myself I’m hoping to get in the 4.0-4.5 range.

What bothers me is they keep putting on the label reprinted splash page from Wartime Romances #12. I’m sure this could be a debate on its own

Here's the page in question...

Is it almost the same pose? Sure

But the background, dress, leg position, hair color, hair style and facial expression are all different. Not to mention the guy lying down has his leg position flopped as well. To me this is not a reprinted splash page, but just my opinion.

Still an amazing book you have there! One of Bakers best! :golfclap:

5EB115BB-EF62-4A73-BA7B-AD3C3DD848CF.jpeg

Edited by mustang33guy

12 hours ago, mustang33guy said:

Amazing book! I hav one I have to get graded myself I’m hoping to get in the 4.0-4.5 range.

What bothers me is they keep putting on the label reprinted splash page from Wartime Romances #12. I’m sure this could be a debate on it own

Heres the page in question...

Is it it almost the same pose? Sure

But the background, dress, leg position, hair color, hair style and facial expression are all different. Not to mention the guy lying down has his leg position flopped as well. To me this is not a reprinted splash page, but just my opinion.

It's Baker swiping himself, but not a reprint. Thanks for pointing that out. They need to get a better eye around there.

Edited by comicnoir

13 hours ago, mustang33guy said:

Amazing book! I hav one I have to get graded myself I’m hoping to get in the 4.0-4.5 range.

What bothers me is they keep putting on the label reprinted splash page from Wartime Romances #12. I’m sure this could be a debate on it own

Heres the page in question...

Is it it almost the same pose? Sure

Why the MB/Osrin on the bottom? It's not the original art so was that a note someone made to themselves? Or was it written by one of the two men in question? Because that would be something special...

45 minutes ago, PeterPark said:

Why the MB/Osrin on the bottom? It's not the original art so was that a note someone made to themselves? Or was it written by one of the two men in question? Because that would be something special...

Looks like that scan is from the Digital Comic Museum, which was made from a copy belonging to comics historian Jim Vadeboncoeur, Jr.  Those are most likely pencilled notes he made for his own purposes.  

5 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

Looks like that scan is from the Digital Comic Museum, which was made from a copy belonging to comics historian Jim Vadeboncoeur, Jr.  Those are most likely pencilled notes he made for his own purposes.  

I got the scan from Comic Book Plus which may also be the copy that was uploaded to Digital Comic Museum by Jim, not too sure.

1 minute ago, mustang33guy said:
7 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

I got the scan from Comic Book Plus which may also be the copy that was uploaded to Digital Comic Museum by Jim, not too sure.

Both sites have a lot of the same scans.

On 12/28/2018 at 12:36 AM, Bumble Kitty said:

Forgot about this one, until I showed a fellow boardie a box of Quality's...

Girls In Love 57 Baker front.jpg

Very nice copy. This might be the Quality cover that most resembles his St John work. This could be a TAR cover, although with his TAR covers with multiple teenagers, he didn't usually make the figures in the foreground this large. hm

On 12/30/2018 at 12:53 AM, comicnoir said:

This is one of my favorite Baker covers, a "romance noir" complete with venetian blinds and moody lighting. Notice the diary entry she is writing that alludes to a pregnancy and the mocking expression on the boyfriend's face in the photo. The colours are perfect too. Certainly one of his darker pieces.

Diary Secrets 20 cgc 5.5.jpg

Never noticed the writing in the diary before.  As I remember @Dr. Love noted that there are only four Baker St John covers with the girl crying; this being one. 

On 1/6/2019 at 2:30 AM, sacentaur said:
On 1/5/2019 at 8:09 PM, Bumble Kitty said:

Here's a favorite of mine:

Cinderella Love 15 front.jpg

Wow Roland, just wow.

Why doesn’t CGC list this as a Baker cover?

CGC typically follows Overstreet.  For a long time, Overstreet was really weak on Baker attributions.

On 1/9/2019 at 12:16 AM, mustang33guy said:

Amazing book! I have one I have to get graded myself I’m hoping to get in the 4.0-4.5 range.

What bothers me is they keep putting on the label reprinted splash page from Wartime Romances #12. I’m sure this could be a debate on its own

Here's the page in question...

Is it almost the same pose? Sure

Interesting.  Clearly not a "reprint" but a reworking or self-swipe (as @comicnoir notes).  Pretty unusual label note.  I think I've seen a few others noting when a cover is a swipe -- not that I can remember any of them!