• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
42 42

13,509 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, BB-Gun said:
22 hours ago, Mijael.Levy said:

Just got this one

0YlkdFqh.jpg

I usually prefer the full page covers but that Diary Secrets is very attractive.<3

Yes, I agree.  Most of his best work is in the form of the full page covers.  One of the mysteries of his career is the gap between how good his late St John romance covers were and how mediocre his Quality covers were, although drawn only a year or two later. My suspicion is that he was already suffering significant health problems circa 1956, or else something else was distracting him from his work.

Crippen copy of DS 15. Since graded as a 6.5 OW. Discoloration along the spine less noticeable in hand. 

diar.jpg

Edited by Sqeggs

8 minutes ago, Mijael.Levy said:

I showed this book to my Girlfriend and she asked me if the two girls are lesbians . I though the same thing when i saw the book for the first time. They must be roomies but somehow the cover sugest they are a couple.

Looks like the one in the bed is wearing her boyfriend's jammies. :)

12 hours ago, Mijael.Levy said:

I showed this book to my Girlfriend and she asked me if the two girls are lesbians . I though the same thing when i saw the book for the first time. They must be roomies but somehow the cover sugest they are a couple.

They were roomies. Very hot roomies. The adorable redhead just got her incredible roommate in trouble with the police. That's all. Although you never know with girls.

Edited by comicnoir

...Later cover by the master (as per GCD), and the smiling lady on the left is the is 'clincher'. Dirt cheap eBay win, but i did expect a little competition on the end, but it never came. 'Good', and i'm happy with the copy. Down to only needing two more Baker romance (non St John) to complete my 'alternate' Baker Romance collection. :banana:

Love Romances #77.jpg

On 1/25/2019 at 10:36 PM, sagii said:

...Later cover by the master (as per GCD), and the smiling lady on the left is the is 'clincher'. Dirt cheap eBay win, but i did expect a little competition on the end, but it never came. 'Good', and i'm happy with the copy. Down to only needing two more Baker romance (non St John) to complete my 'alternate' Baker Romance collection. :banana:

Love Romances #77.jpg

Be a heck of an accomplishment to get them all! Even all but two is great.

I'd say the cover on this one looks more like Colletta than Baker to me, though. hm

52 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Be a heck of an accomplishment to get them all! Even all but two is great.

I'd say the cover on this one looks more like Colletta than Baker to me, though. hm

I'll concede the interiors are unmistakable in comparison to the cover, but there are Baker touches evident. I read somewhere,  I believe the AOG, that Colleta tended to overpower (delete) many characteristics of the pencilers he inked. 

There is a cover in the My Own Romance run that Colleta signed but GCD calls for Baker :whatthe:

54 minutes ago, sagii said:

I'll concede the interiors are unmistakable in comparison to the cover, but there are Baker touches evident. I read somewhere,  I believe the AOG, that Colleta tended to overpower (delete) many characteristics of the pencilers he inked. 

There is a cover in the My Own Romance run that Colleta signed but GCD calls for Baker :whatthe:

Yeah, I think Colletta was known for inking with a heavy hand. 

Speaking of "Baker" covers that aren't, this one was advertised as such on eBay.  It ain't Baker, but I bought it anyway.  Kind of an interesting cover. Can't think of another Spin the Bottle cover, although @Dr. Love may know of one.  Seems as if the subject matter would have had trouble passing muster once the Code came in.  Also kind of weird that these obviously post-teens are playing Spin the Bottle and the guys are in sports jackets and ties. hm

s-l1600_zpsnpecdbjf.jpg

54 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Speaking of "Baker" covers that aren't, this one was advertised as such on eBay.  It ain't Baker, but I bought it anyway.  Kind of an interesting cover. Can't think of another Spin the Bottle cover, although @Dr. Love may know of one.  Seems as if the subject matter would have had trouble passing muster once the Code came in.  Also kind of weird that these obviously post-teens are playing Spin the Bottle and the guys are in sports jackets and ties. hm

s-l1600_zpsnpecdbjf.jpg

I was watching that one!

Cool cover and pick up either way :applause:

2 minutes ago, sagii said:

I was watching that one!

Cool cover and pick up either way :applause:

I had a feeling you would be out there lurking on that one!

Not sure what made Dave and Adams think the cover was by Baker.  The listing didn't provide a rationale.

25 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I had a feeling you would be out there lurking on that one!

Not sure what made Dave and Adams think the cover was by Baker.  The listing didn't provide a rationale.

Probably just 'going with it' since  Baker did work for quality, or it looked 'Bakerish to him(shrug) 

But he ought to know, that's my job around  here (:

1 minute ago, sagii said:

Probably just 'going with it' since  Baker did work for quality, or it looked 'Bakerish to him(shrug) 

But he ought to know, that's my job around  here (:

You need to provide us with the short list of Quality romance covers that you think aren't Baker! :baiting: