• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,559 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Speaking of "Baker" covers that aren't, this one was advertised as such on eBay.  It ain't Baker, but I bought it anyway.  Kind of an interesting cover. Can't think of another Spin the Bottle cover, although @Dr. Love may know of one.  Seems as if the subject matter would have had trouble passing muster once the Code came in.  Also kind of weird that these obviously post-teens are playing Spin the Bottle and the guys are in sports jackets and ties. hm

s-l1600_zpsnpecdbjf.jpg

Dr. Love might know about such things, but "The Gentleman Collector" has a tie to knot and no time for tomfoolery.

12 hours ago, sagii said:

:applause:Teen-Age Romances #45 continues to bring bring bucks (counting the Boards sales on top of tonight's C'Link copy).

I know I've said this before, but there's such a sharp falloff from the way Baker finished up at St John and his work for Quality. Those full cover St John books, published in 1954-1955, include most of his best work.  His work for Quality just seems markedly inferior and I don't think it can be entirely attributed to poor inking or having to adhere to the Code guidelines. (The last few issues at St John actually have the Code stamp and there's not much in other covers from this period that would have caused problems with the Code.)

Sheer uninformed speculation, but I'm inclined to think that his health took a turn for the worse late 1955/early 1956.  Either that or something else was going on in his life that affected his ability to work. 

18 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I know I've said this before, but there's such a sharp falloff from the way Baker finished up at St John and his work for Quality. Those full cover St John books, published in 1954-1955, include most of his best work.  His work for Quality just seems markedly inferior and I don't think it can be entirely attributed to poor inking or having to adhere to the Code guidelines. (The last few issues at St John actually have the Code stamp and there's not much in other covers from this period that would have caused problems with the Code.)

Sheer uninformed speculation, but I'm inclined to think that his health took a turn for the worse late 1955/early 1956.  Either that or something else was going on in his life that affected his ability to work. 

I should add before @sagii's head explodes that Baker did some good work for Quality. It's just that there seems to be an abrupt falloff from the superb work he was doing near the end at St John to the decidedly mixed work he did for Quality. 

23 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I should add before @sagii's head explodes that Baker did some good work for Quality. It's just that there seems to be an abrupt falloff from the superb work he was doing near the end at St John to the decidedly mixed work he did for Quality. 

:foryou:

I totally get what you're saying. There are examples that can be chalked up to 'inking' and then some that just looked 'phoned in' (health issues, lower pay rate (shrug), who knows), and then there are maybe 3 that are unmistakenly Baker.

Either way, whether you are pro or con the post St. John period I appreciate that you are always 'game' to discuss all the work done by this deservedly celebrated artist. It is "The Baker" thread after all and all of his works should be inclusive for showcasing.

8 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Either that or something else was going on in his life that affected his ability to work. 

Like his close friend Archer St. John found dead Aug 12, 1955, in his mistress' apartment from either suicide or a mistaken overdose of sleeping pills.

Two years earlier Matt was on top of the world, running the whole art show at St. John out of his own private office on the 8th floor of an office building at 545 Fifth Avenue - fabulous Fifth Avenue, the center of the modern world, within strolling distance of Saks Fifth Avenue, Tiffany's, Rockefeller Center, St. Patricks Cathedral, etc.

In a few short years, Matt would be working under Vince Colletta, a man he did not like, a kind of coarser wiseguy version of himself, a miniaturized dapper life of the party ladies man, but connected in a way, vital in a way Baker never had been.  The ultimate quiet personal guy forced to work under the loudest brashest out there guy who not only was successful, he had a mansion in Saddle River NJ for gods sake.  Saddle River was where RICH folks lived.

So yeh Baker wasn't a happy guy towards the end.

21 hours ago, sagii said:

:applause:Teen-Age Romances #45 continues to bring bring bucks (counting the Boards sales on top of tonight's C'Link copy).

That was only the second copy I've ever seen go to auction.  There are not enough to go around...

39 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

Like his close friend Archer St. John found dead Aug 12, 1955, in his mistress' apartment from either suicide or a mistaken overdose of sleeping pills.

Two years earlier Matt was on top of the world, running the whole art show at St. John out of his own private office on the 8th floor of an office building at 545 Fifth Avenue - fabulous Fifth Avenue, the center of the modern world, within strolling distance of Saks Fifth Avenue, Tiffany's, Rockefeller Center, St. Patricks Cathedral, etc.

In a few short years, Matt would be working under Vince Colletta, a man he did not like, a kind of coarser wiseguy version of himself, a miniaturized dapper life of the party ladies man, but connected in a way, vital in a way Baker never had been.  The ultimate quiet personal guy forced to work under the loudest brashest out there guy who not only was successful, he had a mansion in Saddle River NJ for gods sake.  Saddle River was where RICH folks lived.

So yeh Baker wasn't a happy guy towards the end.

Yeah, St John falling apart -- both the person and company -- had to be a blow.  I hadn't heard before about his having a private office on Fifth Avenue.  One of the odd things about his time at St John in the accounts I've read is that he was apparently the art director but some people who worked there said they rarely saw him and didn't think he had much input. 

It's unfortunate that he didn't live into the 1960s, for his sake, primarily, but also because he wasn't around when 1960s fandom began tracking down and interviewing GA artists, inviting them to cons, and so on.  We would then have his account of his time at St John in the early 1950s. 

23 minutes ago, Yorick said:

That was only the second copy I've ever seen go to auction.  There are not enough to go around...

GPA lists exactly one sale of this book -- a 3.0 that sold for $63 in June 2009.  The cert is no longer in the census.  There is a 3.0 on there, so maybe this copy was resubmitted and remained a 3.0 or maybe it turned into the 5.0 on the census or ....

The sale of this 2.5 won't make it onto GPA because, of course, CLink doesn't report its sales. 

7 minutes ago, sagii said:

I thought there were two Boards sales . I could be mistaken. 

Those don't count as auctions.  I wish I could have purchased the 6.0 copy that Rick sold.  I need to get back to playing the lottery...