• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
42 42

13,509 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, sagii said:

No, really, i was referring to All Picture All True Love Story #1, a book i thought @Sqeggs is after still.

Sorry for the mix up :shy:

The chase is still on! Will I get there before you complete the Baker Quality run?  We're neck and neck coming down the stretch!

24 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Was there ever one in the fabulous Dr. Love collection or have you been holding out for a high-grade copy? 

Never owned one, always holding out for a decent grade. At a decent price.  Then ships sail. If I had to do it all over again, I would lower my Baker bar, and then look to upgrade over time.

13 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

Never owned one, always holding out for a decent grade. At a decent price.  Then ships sail. If I had to do it all over again, I would lower my Baker bar, and then look to upgrade over time.

If I had to do it over again, back in 2013-2014, I would have gone even more hog wild than I did! :)

Edited by Sqeggs
Typo

Just now, sagii said:

....Another from the end of the line, courtesy of Atlas. This cover is credited to Baker (pencils) in the AOG and the GCD 

Love Romances #82 (a).jpg

Nice. He looks way older than her. Possibly a #metoo incident between faculty and student? hm

Is your quest to get all the Baker Quality books and all his Atlas books?  

1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:

Nice. He looks way older than her. Possibly a #metoo incident between faculty and student? hm

Is your quest to get all the Baker Quality books and all his Atlas books?  

You catch on fast :baiting:

lol

The Atlas' are a bit harder, because of the Colletta inks and such ('proving' it's a 'Baker'), but more or less, i'm after confirmed and 'more likely than nots' (:

1 minute ago, sagii said:

You catch on fast :baiting:

lol

The Atlas' are a bit harder, because of the Colletta inks and such ('proving' it's a 'Baker'), but more or less, i'm after confirmed and 'more likely than nots' (:

Then you can start on, the "Does look a little like hims" and the "There's a hint of him in theres" and the "Might be someone swiping hims" and the "Someone swiped this cover from one of his panels" You will end up the completist's completist! 

1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:

Then you can start on, the "Does look a little like hims" and the "There's a hint of him in theres" and the "Might be someone swiping hims" and the "Someone swiped this cover from one of his panels" You will end up the completist's completist! 

Exactly! :idea:

1 hour ago, Dr. Love said:

Joanna told me of a near mint copy out there owned by a renowned romance collector.

I finally scored a sweet copy of DS 15 (from Harley) at CalComicCon this past weekend, along with lower grade copies of Pictorial Confessions 1 (I like this particular issue) and The Texan 7 from our very own cmcfan (Jeff).

There were quite a few low-grade Bakers to be had, but the prices were just too darn high. I am still seeing price resistance for these lower condition books. I am perfectly happy with nicely presenting 3.0 copies, but not when they’re stickered to the moon!

Always great to see a handful of fellow Baker Boardies at the Con...:foryou:

I know what you mean Steve. Not a lot of Bakers in the room and those that were there were real pricey. I think dealers like them on their walls as attention getters. I obviously don’t mind lower grade copies at somewhat reasonable prices. I have also seen a lot of resistance on low grade high prices. I had a few non romance Bakers that sold right away. I guess I must have been reasonable. 

I was able to snag a few cool Friction House books and ECs but only slightly unreasonable. ECs seem to be making a run again as well. I pretty much got cleaned out of the ones I brought as well. Prices seemed be a little high overall but there was a LOT of great eye candy in the room. Market seems very strong.

Good to see you even though briefly. Hard to be a buyer and a seller but my main focus was on selling so I stayed in my booth most of the day. Incredible sales for me. Might be because I brought a lot of different stuff for readers and box divers. Really paid off for me. Had a great time and can’t wait until next year. Maybe the best one day show in the country?

15 hours ago, comicnoir said:
16 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

Joanna told me of a near mint copy out there owned by a renowned romance collector.

Love to have a look at that one. 

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

I know what you mean Steve. Not a lot of Bakers in the room and those that were there were real pricey. I think dealers like them on their walls as attention getters. I obviously don’t mind lower grade copies at somewhat reasonable prices. I have also seen a lot of resistance on low grade high prices. I had a few non romance Bakers that sold right away. I guess I must have been reasonable. 

I was able to snag a few cool Friction House books and ECs but only slightly unreasonable. ECs seem to be making a run again as well. I pretty much got cleaned out of the ones I brought as well. Prices seemed be a little high overall but there was a LOT of great eye candy in the room. Market seems very strong.

Good to see you even though briefly. Hard to be a buyer and a seller but my main focus was on selling so I stayed in my booth most of the day. Incredible sales for me. Might be because I brought a lot of different stuff for readers and box divers. Really paid off for me. Had a great time and can’t wait until next year. Maybe the best one day show in the country?

Does seem to be a lot of sales resistance these days to lower-grade Bakers with high asking prices -- certain key issues (like TAR 45) excepted, of course.  As I've mentioned to some people, there are Bakers in this category on eBay and on dealers' sites that have been sitting for awhile. A year or two ago, they would probably have sold at the prices being asked.

I'd say that Cole romance books are in some cases bringing higher prices than Baker books in the same grades. Probably an indication that more people are getting into Cole and are filling out runs and that the price increases have not yet flushed out enough copies to meet the demand. I've been trying to avoid paying too much for mid-grade Cole romance because I expect that the prices may soften over the course of the next year or so.