• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,554 posts in this topic

Just listed a couple of Baker romances low grade in case anyone is interested Wartime Romances 13 and Diary Secrets 15. Had the opportunity to upgrade.

A few more Bakers attached. My apologies for using scans made by someone else. I think this is from a link recommended by an article written by someone on board.

bb

2608883444_e8389f2e98_o.jpg

2608054067_ac617c03ec_o.jpg

Kate was also featured in the Fighting Marines. The early St. Johns issues are too big for Golden age boxes and have to go in the magazine boxes. I will dig those marines out if I can remember. This low resolution scan is one of my favorite covers.

2608883204_13b473fb9b_o.jpg

And I found another good scan of an all Baker issue.

2608883070_301eed3fee_b.jpg

A few more Bakers attached. My apologies for using scans made by someone else. I think this is from a link recommended by an article written by someone on board.

bb

Oops posted twice.

bb

Edited by BB-Gun

Baker was awesome, no doubt...

And he never got to draw attractive african-american women, at least for St John ... I some times wonder (and can of course never succeed putting myself in that situation) if that was ever a source of frustration. I've got to go back and look at the Alter Ego focusing on Baker to see if that issue was addressed.

You would have thought he would have done artwork for Negro Romances. There was a mention he may have done one of the covers but I don't think it was him.

I don't want to come across as a snob...but there is no age like the Golden Age. Especially for covers. I may have grew up reading early Silver age comics, but their cover art just doesn't come close.

Snob :baiting:

Every age had its turkeys and glorious covers ... but, in the final analysis, I, like you, find more covers from the GA I like than any other age ... except maybe from the Modern Age. I know I know, anathema you'll say ... but some of the graphism and compositions today are really winning with me.

I don't want to come across as a snob...but there is no age like the Golden Age. Especially for covers. I may have grew up reading early Silver age comics, but their cover art just doesn't come close.

Snob :baiting:

Every age had its turkeys and glorious covers ... but, in the final analysis, I, like you, find more covers from the GA I like than any other age ... except maybe from the Modern Age. I know I know, anathema you'll say ... but some of the graphism and compositions today are really winning with me.

no doubt there are great examples across all eras, but hopefully those that are "here" (GABoards) appreciate the GA to be the quintessential in sampling....

South Sea girl from Seven Seas #1

2610857284_8f5dfe2553_b.jpg

Her reincarnation as Vooda

2610024859_f9e9ae8f5f_b.jpg

Another Teen-age Temptations that I think I forgot

2610857566_d862058a83_b.jpg

Fighting Marines (wash cover?) with Canteen Kate story and a full size Baker cover

2610023793_2dbef99d75_b.jpg