• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,577 posts in this topic

There are quite a few other examples that do end up on Metro's website. But, I don't think they have a policy in place for not bidding on the ComicConnect auctions. I guess they see these as two separate companies.

There is absolutely nothing that separates "I am bidding on this item I'm auctioning because I want to sell it elsewhere for a price slightly above my top bid" from plain old shill bidding.

I guess I started this because I was sick of being outbid on items and then watching them end up as a For Sale. That PR 18 should have been mine. I put in a dozen bids.

If they want to sell their items at a certain price, than do so. Please spare us an "auction".

I guess I started this because I was sick of being outbid on items and then watching them end up as a For Sale. That PR 18 should have been mine. I put in a dozen bids.

Yeah, and all you really did was establish the rather high value upon which they based the book's current selling price.

I feel your pain. Imagine bidding in an eBay auction where you know the seller is bidding against you just to sell the book for a higher price. Nobody would stand for it.

Quite frankly, this is shocking if this is true, however in any auction you as the seller can buy the item back if you pay the buyers/ auction house fee.

It seems unlikely in these cases. In the case of the PR 18 the other bidder leapfrogged over me several times. One minute I'm the high bidder, the next minute I'm outbid. This went on for awhile until I gave up. Then it shows up on a their website at a fixed price.

Quite frankly, this is shocking if this is true, however in any auction you as the seller can buy the item back if you pay the buyers/ auction house fee.

It is not clear to me that Metro is the seller. These books may have been sold by third parties.

Still, if Metro was the seller, you have a seller bidding on their own books in a no-reserve auction, and isn't that what we call "shill bidding"?

In California, the Civil Code (§ 1812.608(h)(2)) directs an auction company violates the law if it “[c]ause or allow any person to bid at a sale for the sole purpose of increasing the bid on any item or items being sold by the auctioneer” and includes instances in which the auction company “[a]llow the owner, consignor, or agent thereof, of any item or items to bid on the item or items, without disclosing to the audience that the owner, consignor, or agent thereof has reserved the right to so bid.”

It seems unlikely in these cases. In the case of the PR 18 the other bidder leapfrogged over me several times. One minute I'm the high bidder, the next minute I'm outbid. This went on for awhile until I gave up. Then it shows up on a their website at a fixed price.

To reiterate, though, if Metro was bidding on a book put up for sale by a third party, and was acting just like any other bidder, subject to the same rules and processes as any other bidder, and Metro's purpose was to buy the book for resale, then there's nothing nefarious here. It only would be a problem if Metro's purpose in bidding was to drive up the price paid by someone else.

Frankly, I'm not concerned by Metro outbidding folks on a third party's books, but I would be concerned if Metro often turned up as an underbidder on a third party's books. And if Metro is bidding on its own book in the fashion you describe, then I'd be shocked.

lol

I was just doing a search to make sure I did well on this book.......guess I did.

Congrats! I would have grabbed it if I didn't already have a decent copy of this one.

Here's a group shot of Teen Age Romances. I've been working on trying to organize. I'm still missing a few photo covers but it's not a big deal to complete. Thanks to Michael for helping me complete my last Baker cover of the series. :) I know there are some out of order. :juggle:

DSCN0499.jpg

Edited by JvR11

Here's a group shot of Teen Age Romances. I've been working on trying to organize. I'm still missing a few photo covers but it's not a big deal to complete. Thanks to Michael for helping me complete my last Baker cover of the series. :) I know there are some out of order. :juggle:

DSCN0499.jpg

:applause:

DSCN0499.jpg

Extremely nice.

DSCN0499.jpg

Very nice. :applause: