• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,558 posts in this topic

Baker didn't do any covers for Dear Lonely Heart but they did use one of his South Sea Girl stories as a romance. This splash is from Seven Seas 2 and the story page is from DLH 3. Notice that the bare midriff has been colored in. The characters are the same but the names have been changed to protect the innocent.

2611789686_961dd8361b_b.jpg

2610955097_157ed995d4_b.jpg

and the cover since it isn't in Gerber.

2610954439_a1bffbaebb_b.jpg

There were some interesting stories in DLH 1. Wertham missed some of these.

2610954833_aaa3e6ac78_b.jpg

A lot of the Fox and Fiction House titles look like Baker has done pencils but someone else has finished. The All Top cover may be done by Baker but Jo Jo has a similar look. The appearance of the background characters suggests that the rest of the work on Jo Jo was Kamen. Webb also had a similar style. All Top has some pretty good Phantom Lady stories. Fight, Jumbo and Jungle have art by Baker but I don't know if anyone gives Baker credit for any of the covers.

bb

2611870142_cc13859dca_b.jpg

2611036075_27c624eb04_b.jpg

And a couple more Amazing Ghost Stories were found on line. I like the covers but no Baker inside.

bb

2611865700_ac92545122_o.jpg

2611031815_6474b2493e_o.jpg

These are great, I've never seen these before. I love seeing Baker's in a different light.

A lot of the Fox and Fiction House titles look like Baker has done pencils but someone else has finished. The All Top cover may be done by Baker but Jo Jo has a similar look. The appearance of the background characters suggests that the rest of the work on Jo Jo was Kamen. Webb also had a similar style. All Top has some pretty good Phantom Lady stories. Fight, Jumbo and Jungle have art by Baker but I don't know if anyone gives Baker credit for any of the covers.

bb

2611870142_cc13859dca_b.jpg

2611036075_27c624eb04_b.jpg

The All-Top looks more like Kamen to me although neither Gerber nor OS credit him for that one. The Jo-Jo definitely looks like it could have Baker's hand in it, at least the figure of the woman. The man doesn't look Bakerish to me.

Wow, this was a cool string to stumble onto. Would never have guessed such geat artwork existed in Romance comics. And to think how many of these I passed over with a snear when I was a youngin.

Thanks for exposing (literally) these to me.

Frazetta, Stevens and Baker - 3 guys who just knew how to capture, well you know... :banana:

The Jo-Jo definitely looks like it could have Baker's hand in it, at least the figure of the woman. The man doesn't look Bakerish to me.

I concur with the likely involvement of Baker and there were definitely situations where he was only partly involved in the artwork on a page or cover. The man looks like the work of Webb.

Wow, this was a cool string to stumble onto. Would never have guessed such geat artwork existed in Romance comics. And to think how many of these I passed over with a snear when I was a youngin.

Frazetta, Stevens and Baker - 3 guys who just knew how to capture, well you know... :banana:

Frazetta, Stevens, and Baker were more like guys who knew how to capture :grin::grin:, not :banana:

You would have thought he would have done artwork for Negro Romances. There was a mention he may have done one of the covers but I don't think it was him.

From Alter Ego #47, "Baker of Cheesecake" by Alberto Becattini, referring to the Negro Romances #4 cover:

"...there is something "Bakerish" about this cover (the guy in the car, especially has a "Baker face", with eyes drawn far apart). Jim Vadeboncouer, Jr., for one, disagrees, but my guess is that Baker at least pencilled it (with inks, perhaps, by Vince Coletta or Giordano)."

I wish I had a copy to see for myself.

You would have thought he would have done artwork for Negro Romances. There was a mention he may have done one of the covers but I don't think it was him.

From Alter Ego #47, "Baker of Cheesecake" by Alberto Becattini, referring to the Negro Romances #4 cover:

"...there is something "Bakerish" about this cover (the guy in the car, especially has a "Baker face", with eyes drawn far apart). Jim Vadeboncouer, Jr., for one, disagrees, but my guess is that Baker at least pencilled it (with inks, perhaps, by Vince Coletta or Giordano)."

I don't have a good scan but here is the small copy that I found.

2613198778_803183e272_o.jpg

I have been flying blind on this and just digging out what I can find with a Baker cover or story but Alberto has a great article in Alter Ego 47. Baker fans should get a copy. I love the articles in AE and the details but I miss the glossy color of the Comic Book Marketplace. I guess production cost would be too high. But the Baker stuff looks good posted on this thread.

Baker not only did Canteen Kate for Fighting Marines but he also did Leatherneck Jack. This is probably his most gruesome cover.

2612406211_da892f7690_b.jpg

I think Jack's girl friend could have been Asian as drawn by Baker but they didn't use the correct color mix.

2613239326_c302a033e1_b.jpg

Canteen Kate was so animated. Full figure drawings and action-packed stories resulted from a lot of talent and hard work.

2613238962_f02a23a2a8_b.jpg

bb

Edited by BB-Gun

I agree BB,

I think the girl in the Leatherjack Jack splash looks Asian too!!! Management probably made the colorist change her into a redhead!!! I think she would have looked better Asian though!!!

Love the South Sea girl stuff!!! Thanks for posting another page, beautiful work by Baker!!

Frazetta, Stevens, and Baker were more like guys who knew how to capture :grin::grin:, not :banana:

opps - :blush: wrong fruit - should have used a more "melon like" icon...

Don't forget to check out the other artists that did romance comics. Schomburg did some nice air brush covers.

2614673682_79eb487ba2_b.jpg

And Frazetta did this nice story for Personal Love 32. Someone added some pretty good shading and color to this page. Horror comics usually have a lot of color but romance stories are usually not quite so dramatic. Frazetta probably added the shading which added more depth (ala Roy Crane) but the color may be by someone else. Someone noticed that a lot of Frazetta'a fine line work is lost in the engraving process but I kind of like the effect of the colors.

bb

2614674014_5f2ce8cc8d_b.jpg