• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,559 posts in this topic

Here's a weird St. John digest. It appears to have a Baker story inside. Is this a Baker cover? Only one I've ever seen.

comslashdoublecross_zpsotkyy6qj.jpg

Haven't seen that one before, so I did some poking around. Grand Comics Database has it listed with the cover and a majority of the stories as being by Matt Baker. http://www.comics.org/issue/319820/

Interesting. First one I've seen.

Added: Just looking at the checklist in The Art of Glamour and they don't list it. hm

Wow. Never have seen this one before! I believe that is Baker. At a minimum, he contributed some pencils to that cover in my opinion.

I finally got a copy of this item, and although I agree that Matt Baker's hand is apparent in the cover art, I do not believe he does any art inside.

See my pics below. The girl in the last one looks like a distorted version of a Baker girl, as if someone was doing a poor job of copying him.

What do you think?

SDDD%20front_zpsg1jznkht.jpg

SAM_2421_zpstq8jojso.jpg

SAM_2424_zpsh2uf4od8.jpg

SAM_2425_zpssgvp6p6c.jpg

Mel,

I think that's a pretty fair assessment: Someone who had some of Baker's work in front of him and was following it as closely as he could. To be honest, I wouldn't stake my life on Baker having done the cover either. hm

I think both the cowboy and the horse on the cover have the Baker wild-eyed look seen elsewhere, but the simplicity makes me think that Matt probably knocked it out quickly while breezing through the office one day.

This book is another example of St. John experimenting with the comic book format. At 10 cents each, he was probably keeping costs low and didn't spring for a fully-detailed cover.

Here's a weird St. John digest. It appears to have a Baker story inside. Is this a Baker cover? Only one I've ever seen.

comslashdoublecross_zpsotkyy6qj.jpg

Haven't seen that one before, so I did some poking around. Grand Comics Database has it listed with the cover and a majority of the stories as being by Matt Baker. http://www.comics.org/issue/319820/

Interesting. First one I've seen.

Added: Just looking at the checklist in The Art of Glamour and they don't list it. hm

Wow. Never have seen this one before! I believe that is Baker. At a minimum, he contributed some pencils to that cover in my opinion.

I finally got a copy of this item, and although I agree that Matt Baker's hand is apparent in the cover art, I do not believe he does any art inside.

See my pics below. The girl in the last one looks like a distorted version of a Baker girl, as if someone was doing a poor job of copying him.

What do you think?

SDDD%20front_zpsg1jznkht.jpg

SAM_2421_zpstq8jojso.jpg

SAM_2424_zpsh2uf4od8.jpg

SAM_2425_zpssgvp6p6c.jpg

Another copy of this one came up on eBay recently. Unfortunately, I was asleep at the switch and missed it.