• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,559 posts in this topic

Cool! A lot of those books (including mine) are marred by bad staining to the front cover.

Thanks. It's hard to say why some have staining and some don't. Is it storage? The inks that were used? Both?

Both. SA Marvels have a similar problem. I think the inks they both used were extremely cheap and the oils from the interior inks eventually seep into the cover causing that yellow halo.

My experience has been that it's often a combination of storage conditions - I believe warm climate causes the oil to transfer easier than a cool climate.

I could be wrong. None of this is scientific but it's what I've picked up from observations over the years.

That is a sweet DS 12, love it!

Here are a few Baker's that I had on-site graded at the Balticon over the weekend.

I thought this one would come out a little higher.

photo DIARY SECRETS 25_zps7d7vfbyp.jpg

photo DIARY SECRETS 29_zpsvbaqdlku.jpg

Very happy with this one!!

photo TRUE LOVE PICT 11_zpse4kngolm.jpg

Ecstatic over this one, to say the least.

photo TEENAGE ROMANCES 32_zpsveutmuiy.jpg

That is a sweet DS 12, love it!

Here are a few Baker's that I had on-site graded at the Balticon over the weekend.

Fantastic! Every one is impressive.

Perhaps the creases at the right on the cover of DS 25 kept it down to a 6.0. Unless there are some hidden defects, there doesn't appear to be much else wrong with that book.

A recent score. One of Baker's last covers I believe...

He even used his own name in the dialogue.

comsecretsoftruelove_zpsb8dq3bc5.jpg

That's a nice one. Someone (comicnoir?) pointed out that that cover was originally intended for an issue of Wartime Romances. I believe you are right that that was the last Baker cover to be published.

Beautiful books on the last few pages.

Great job hunting down these relatively high grades...

Hopefully, some of the undercopies will become available.

:wishluck:

No undercopy on the 43. Undercopy on the 41already sold :sorry:

Looks like a textbook 6.0 here..... must be a back cover stain or something. Either way.... it's definitely a wall book. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Back cover looks good. The graders may just be going through a bit of an ornery period. hm

This one was sold to me raw as a 6.0. It's such a tough book, though, that I'm happy with it.

ca5993cb-9e84-4a2d-b477-cbfd7d6d5b6a_zps108rhoi0.jpg

5.0? Yea, thats funny. Who is grading these books anyway? Oh well, beautiful book.

They must have hit it for all the diagonal creases across the cover.

Ken

This one was sold to me raw as a 6.0. It's such a tough book, though, that I'm happy with it.

ca5993cb-9e84-4a2d-b477-cbfd7d6d5b6a_zps108rhoi0.jpg

5.0? Yea, thats funny. Who is grading these books anyway? Oh well, beautiful book.

They must have hit it for all the diagonal creases across the cover.

Ken

:idea: