• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,558 posts in this topic

You lucked out if you got it at a reasonable price. It looks like a really nice copy too :)

I just picked up this First Kiss. It is not referenced as a Baker cover anywhere, but it is characteristically Baker to me. You can see it's the same time of finger symmetry on the man as in the Cinderella Love cover along with many other Baker traits. The mouth is a little more voluptuous than what Baker has been known for but this could have been a Colletta addition. This is a great First Kiss cover.

firstkiss.jpg

CLa.jpg

This isn't Baker, but I figured you all would appreciate a look at this comic:

untamed-love-01.jpg

I love the blue color on the cover. This is a Canadian reprint and I thought it looked pretty cool when I bought it. What I didn't realize is that it appears to be trimmed on the right edge -- either that, or the Canadian reprint was badly produced. (I would consider returning it to the seller, but she's in Nova Scotia, and the sale price wasn't much anyway.)

Anyway, the inside stories are full of romance grooviness:

:applause:

You lucked out if you got it at a reasonable price. It looks like a really nice copy too :)

I just picked up this First Kiss. It is not referenced as a Baker cover anywhere, but it is characteristically Baker to me. You can see it's the same time of finger symmetry on the man as in the Cinderella Love cover along with many other Baker traits. The mouth is a little more voluptuous than what Baker has been known for but this could have been a Colletta addition. This is a great First Kiss cover.

firstkiss.jpg

the wife always complains when i wear black pants, red socks and brown shoes.

and what are the odds this is her 'first kiss'?

nice pick-up (thumbs u

firstkiss.jpg

the wife always complains when i wear black pants, red socks and brown shoes.

and what are the odds this is her 'first kiss'?

nice pick-up (thumbs u

I am digging the look...very tight!

firstkiss.jpg

CLa.jpg

I see more Colletta than Baker, but maybe it was because he inked it.

The finger symmetry people talk about is just good drawing. People's middle fingers tend to close together when relaxed.

firstkiss.jpg

CLa.jpg

I see more Colletta than Baker, but maybe it was because he inked it.

The finger symmetry people talk about is just good drawing. People's middle fingers tend to close together when relaxed.

Of course, there is no true answer about what Colletta might have done. I'm wondering if there was a mix. For instance, I can't see Colletta spending the time to ink all the lines on the girls pants. I think he would have just made it a solid cover.

Edited by JvR11

Later on maybe he would have had flat color on the girl's pants but at that time it could be him.

I agree with comixnoir. Last night, it was quite clear Coletta put a strong stamp on the pencils. The ink line on the girl's leg look so much like Coletta's signed Atlas Romance covers.

Nevertheless, great eye JvR :thumbsup:

Yes, it's Colletta. I sold his son some of his, Coletta's, Charlton work. He lives in Naples, Florida. I've got his email around hear, somewhere, if someone wishes to query him. When I realized who he was I asked if I could interview him about his father and he agreed. However, I never got around to creating a list of questions for him. I really wanted to know if he, Vince, was a rakish, womanising playboy type of artist who was always dating figure models. Plus did he ever get into any fights. With whom?

Of course, there is no true answer about what Colletta might have done. I'm wondering if there was a mix. For instance, I can't see Colletta spending the time to ink all the lines on the girls pants. I think he would have just made it a solid cover.

Actually that cross- hatching was probably done with zip-tone shading film, not by hand.

Before computers, artists would cut out transparent film, usually in a dot pattern, sometimes in a hatch or cross-hatch, and apply it over a certain area of artwork.

I remember playing with the stuff when I was 12 years old. Still have some tucked away.

Edited by comixnoir

Actually that cross- hatching was probably done with zip-tone shading film, not by hand.

Before computers, artists would cut out transparent film, usually in a dot pattern, sometimes in a hatch or cross-hatch, and apply it over a certain area of artwork.

I remember playing with the stuff when I was 12 years old. Still have some tucked away.

Ahh, this makes complete sense. Thanks for sharing this info :)

Sorry to have to break this to all of you, but it appears Matt Baker stole most of his designs from anonymous British (edited correction: Australian) artists. Case in point:

apc10-copycat.jpg

As you can see, Baker added his own flourishes, such as the fire escape and the chip out of the building's corner. Otherwise, sadly, his cover for Authentic Police Cases #10 appears to be a complete rip-off. Like I said, sorry to have to tell you this. Don't blame the messenger, eh!

Edited by Doohickamabob

???

The Vic Flint is the Baker cover, not the other way round, right?

Yeah, I was just being a sarcastic doofus, but I'll break the joke to avoid further confusion: The Baker cover is the original, the other cover is the copycat. And I should also point this out -- now that I look at it, I think the copycat is Australian.

It's amazing what a complete rip-off the Australian comic is. No originality. I guess they were pressed for time and couldn't be bothered with the fire-escape.

Baker was the complete original. The others were just hacks.