• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,554 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Yorick said:

Wow.  It is a rare day for me to discover a Baker not previously seen.

Well, this one only counts as Baker in a very loose sense, but I picked up this obscure Australian comic on eBay last summer and it contains a reprint of a Baker Atlas Western:  "A Man with a Gun," first published in Frontier Western 5.

2018-01-14-0001_zpsh5djmetm.JPG

I thought the True Love Pictorial 9 would close for more on eBay today (it closed at $733).  I think of it as a classic Baker cover, not at the level of GCE 12, but still a classic.  I thought it would go for over $1000.  Anyone else surprised? 

s-l1600.jpg

6 minutes ago, n2wdw said:

I thought the True Love Pictorial 9 would close for more on eBay today (it closed at $733).  I think of it as a classic Baker cover, not at the level of GCE 12, but still a classic.  I thought it would go for over $1000.  Anyone else surprised? 

s-l1600.jpg

Definitely a very tough book.  Maybe some condition issues held it back?  Also the closing time was probably not ideal for the seller.

I was able to win a bad guys' 4.0 on CLink about a year ago for less than $400.  That really surprised me.  I forget what my snipe was, but it was definitely way higher than that.  So, you never know. 

4 minutes ago, n2wdw said:

s-l1600.jpg

probably the piece off the bottom corner prevented any 1K bids or more. It truly is though, a fantastic Baker composition 

7 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Owned by the Baker family?

Yes.  His brother, I recall.  It was mentioned in the Alter Ego edition featuring Baker (Issue 47?).

38 minutes ago, n2wdw said:

s-l1600.jpg

A surprise to me.  I would hate to tell everyone what my 6.0 miscut copy cost.  The seller was giving it away because of the miscut!!  They thought it was trimmed.

25 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Proving that Baker bargains still exist, even in auction settings. 

RAD459B42016119_91548_zpsebbmney1.JPG

As I was the underbidder, I think you paid the right price!

11 hours ago, RICK STARR said:

probably the piece off the bottom corner prevented any 1K bids or more. It truly is though, a fantastic Baker composition 

Agree 100%.  Really nice looking copy of a tremendous Baker cover but some condition issues such as the piece off the bottom corner prevented this from going higher.  I also noticed a few copies have surfaced recently which may have reduced the demand a bit.   Still a fair price for a classic cover.

21 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Well, if the one that just sold on eBay was worth $750 ....

I'll keep secret the nice offer a fellow boardie offered me for my copy...  He's buttering me up to get at a different book.

There's probably only about 5-10 copies (at best) that rate better than 3.0.  You have one of them!

4 hours ago, Yorick said:

I'll keep secret the nice offer a fellow boardie offered me for my copy...  He's buttering me up to get at a different book.

There's probably only about 5-10 copies (at best) that rate better than 3.0.  You have one of them!

B605B5ED-05E8-4B57-8EF3-05D2DD40786D.jpeg

Edited by Ricksneatstuff

I was looking at the census to see which books to submit next, and I noticed that True Love Pictorial 5 has the wrong publication date.  What the what?

2 minutes ago, Yorick said:

I was looking at the census to see which books to submit next, and I noticed that True Love Pictorial 5 has the wrong publication date.  What the what?

That is weird.  Causes that issue to be out of order in the list.

I've said it a million times, but here's a million + 1:  CGC ought to set up a way on the boards that obvious errors like this one could be reported so they can be corrected.  The CGC census is a valuable part of the hobby and needs to be accurate -- or, at any rate, needs to be corrected to eliminate the kinds of gross errors that they've allowed to accumulate over the years.

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

I've said it a million times, but here's a million + 1:  CGC ought to set up a way on the boards that obvious errors like this one could be reported so they can be corrected.  The CGC census is a valuable part of the hobby and needs to be accurate -- or, at any rate, needs to be corrected to eliminate the kinds of gross errors that they've allowed to accumulate over the years.

Yes - this is a great idea. The knowledge shared on these boards should be benefitting to our host.  They could even gamify it a bit... earning a badge of credibility from CGC would be cool. Similar to (but also very different from) Overstreet Advisors. 

1 hour ago, Yorick said:

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

5 minutes ago, torontodesignguy said:

Yes - this is a great idea. The knowledge shared on these boards should be benefitting to our host.  They could even gamify it a bit... earning a badge of credibility from CGC would be cool. Similar to (but also very different from) Overstreet Advisors. 

So I decided I'll submit my copy (funny, it has the "RC" initials stamped on the cover).  On the online submission form, it allowed me to enter the correct publication date.  Hopefully this won't create a second entry for TLP5.

Now to get these wrapped up and shipped to Florida!  Plus another package on its way to Canada!!!