• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,546 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

Except the Love Life is so badly drawn.

Yeah, isn't it awful?  I bet the figure of the woman on the left was also swiped from somewhere.  Maybe not too surprising that this series lasted only one issue. 

3 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Actually a pretty decent copy, so the price doesn't surprise me.  Not having the auction end in mid-afternoon eastern might have allowed it to close higher.

Kinda like my copy better, though. Bought for way less five years ago. :)

wartime6_zps33cc1295.JPG

1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:

Actually a pretty decent copy, so the price doesn't surprise me.  Not having the auction end in mid-afternoon eastern might have allowed it to close higher.

Kinda like my copy better, though. Bought for way less five years ago. :)

wartime6_zps33cc1295.JPG

Nice...better than mine...

2 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Whoa...it sold for $732...unbelievable.  One of the most common WRs out there too...

...we Internet cowboys are a little jaded when it comes to assigning scarcity ...... we have this global instantaneous reach..... but how many of these Bakers are available at local shows or the LCS ? They just seem common in a relative kind of way. I'm sure you'll all see a few at Yorba Linda though.... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

2 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

That price was pretty dead on IMO. I didn’t pick it up but it would be 1100-1200 after press and grade to 6.0-6.5.  

1 hour ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

That price was pretty dead on IMO. I didn’t pick it up but it would be 1100-1200 after press and grade to 6.0-6.5.  

I doubt that copy will press to a 6.0 or 6.5.  I looks like it has a spine split at the bottom, and the roll would have to be taken out.  I guess they can do that, but I still don't see it being higher than a 5.5.

21 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I doubt that copy will press to a 6.0 or 6.5.  I looks like it has a spine split at the bottom, and the roll would have to be taken out.  I guess they can do that, but I still don't see it being higher than a 5.5.

Roll No Problem at all. Hard to tell for sure but I think that split is really small like 1/4”. I think pic 3 gives a false impression.  

I wish I would have got it now so we could see the end result. 

On January 11, 2018 at 11:10 PM, 29dukedog said:

An amazing copy, one of the best I've seen.  Plan to have it graded?  If so, I think you might just have 2nd in the census... and who knows, if the grade gets finalized on a Friday...   

I'm sorry; I just found your question. Thank you! Yes, eventually I will probably slab the Cinderella Love 27, but no rush. Also, it may not score as high as it appears due to some tanning of inside covers; not sure how that will be factored in. But I have added micro chamber paper to at least arrest that process. It will look awesome in the slab though, regardless of number. But it also looks awesome in Mylar. Every time I think of slabbing, I usually spend on more books instead lol

22 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Also, the big change is there were 5 bidders above 500.  Even six months ago the bidding would have stopped at 350 with just two guys going above 600 or so. 

A growing collector base, no doubt. 

Very interesting.  The very strong prices that 1950s teen humor books (and, to a somewhat lesser extent, non-Baker romance books) have been getting on Heritage makes me think that that collecting base (which probably overlaps somewhat with the Baker collecting base) has also grown significantly.

25 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Very interesting.  The very strong prices that 1950s teen humor books (and, to a somewhat lesser extent, non-Baker romance books) have been getting on Heritage makes me think that that collecting base (which probably overlaps somewhat with the Baker collecting base) has also grown significantly.

To be honest, I think DeCarlo Timely is outpacing Baker St John. Part of that is there is more inventory. 

45 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

To be honest, I think DeCarlo Timely is outpacing Baker St John. Part of that is there is more inventory. 

Certainly Heritage has been getting very strong prices and not just on the DeCarlos.  I haven't even been coming close on most of them. :cry:

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

I don't think this board helps matters much unless you are a seller...