• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,578 posts in this topic

In this extensive and abounding Baker Romance thread, I was wondering if and what issues of Teen-Age Romances, Diary Secrets, Pictorial Confessions/Romances, and Wartime Romances have YET to be posted/pictured? Some surviving issues are obviously more difficult to locate than others (while I know any in high grade are a tough find). Which ones are missing from this thread, and which, in your opinions are scarce to rare even in low grade?

As I was checking out recent additions here, I could not help but admire the phenomenal cover for TheCollectron's offering of Diary Secrets #14. Whether Baker draws a panel, a splash or a cover, each is a stunning self-standing work of art (imo), and that Diary Secrets #14 is a perfect example of that.

The attached pic is from TheCollectron's cover with a hint of color correction.

GGA FORUM: http://www.SpankingPanels.com/forum/

103318.jpg.cff7911d835c880fde03b48efe20343b.jpg

What a figure on the girl holding the Marriage Application on the cover to Wartime romances #16. Baker's sense of anatomy and expression is so impressive.

Visit Today

I agree. I really like the way the girl is posed. I particularly wanted that issue because of the cover image.

In this extensive and abounding Baker Romance thread, I was wondering if and what issues of Teen-Age Romances, Diary Secrets, Pictorial Confessions/Romances, and Wartime Romances have YET to be posted/pictured? Some surviving issues are obviously more difficult to locate than others (while I know any in high grade are a tough find). Which ones are missing from this thread, and which, in your opinions are scarce to rare even in low grade?

As I was checking out recent additions here, I could not help but admire the phenomenal cover for TheCollectron's offering of Diary Secrets #14. Whether Baker draws a panel, a splash or a cover, each is a stunning self-standing work of art (imo), and that Diary Secrets #14 is a perfect example of that.

The attached pic is from TheCollectron's cover with a hint of color correction.

I've seen all of the St. John Baker's under some format or another, at least all the "known" issues. The rebound giants are the hardest to locate. I would say the majority of romance comics are hard to find in high grade. I think you would be quite frustrated to be a completionist in high grade with St. John's. I'm trying to complete the St. John Baker issues and there are many that I am just happy to have in any grade at all. Now, original art is another issue all together. I've only see maybe 3-4 pages of St. John romance. I'd like to hope one day that a hoarder will bring some to market but this probably will not be the case. I've seen quite a few of Mighty Mouse so maybe it's possible.

I was going through some St. John and I thought these are some of the more difficult one's to find. There are many more that could be added to this list, of course.

In no particular order...

img038.jpg

If anyone has a copy of Wartime Romances 3, they'd like to part with please PM me. I'd love to upgrade this one..

img040.jpg

img042.jpg

img043.jpg

img044-1.jpg

img045.jpg

img046.jpg

img047.jpg

img048.jpg

So cool JvR11, thanks for posting these great covers!!! There's so much to absorb here with Baker's covers (and art). In regards to Cinderella Love 28, does the CCA logo detract from this issues appeal? I mean are precode Baker's more appealing, because he had more creative license with the art, and the way he preferred to draw his figures? I'm sure it effected him personally, but what about Baker Collectors? Precode vs Postcode, or it simply does not matter because a beautiful piece of art is still a beautiful piece of art no matter what period Baker drew it?

Cinderella Love, the St. John issues are magnificent. Here on #28, I love the then-modern affiliation to the actual Cinderella story, as the Female character amorously dreams of her idyllic Prince Charming. C.L.#28 is an enchanted cover. I'm certain she is waiting for her fairy Godmother to arrive to make all her dreams and desires come true.

There's much more I'd like to comment on from the books from your collection, as Baker's work provokes much thought through his visuals. One last thing I've also noticed about Matt Baker's art, he seems to have a mastery of truly capturing the essence of a story within his covers and Splashes. Truly, no dialog is even needed, we can plainly see it, or at least I can.

Need Some Active Participants & GGA Experts

103392.jpg.317d0f00c04f87822feb11f3ee32bba9.jpg

There is something that is confusing me, and I wonder if anyone here can shed light on the relationship between Ziff-Davis and St. John between 1951-1953? For instance, in 1950 Ziff Davis began the title Cinderella Love with issue #10 and Romantic Marriage with issue #1. In Sept. 1951 the Cinderella Love title is transferred to St. John Publishing beginning with issue #12. And in Sept 1953 St. John Publishing acquired the Romantic Marriage title with issue #18.

And according to Overstreet, Matt Baker's cover issue of Romantic Marriage #23 reprints the contents of issue #15. And issue #15 was a Ziff Davis issue. So that means that St. John had the printing plates transferred from ZD to themselves when they acquired the title, right?

This all pertains to the transferring of established comic book titles between 2 separate Comic Book publishing companies. Does anyone have any ideas? I have a few other questions about the numbering system, but for now don't want to get ahead of myself.

Need Some Vocal GGA Participants

Edited by GGA_Fan

There is something that is confusing me, and I wonder if anyone here can shed light on the relationship between Ziff-Davis and St. John between 1951-1953?

When you're done with that, somebody please explain the connection between Timely, Atlas and Marvel comics. Also I'd like to know what's up with the Youthful Magazines and Trojan connection, and the link between Avon and Realistic.

When you're done with that, somebody please explain the connection between Timely, Atlas and Marvel comics. Also I'd like to know what's up with the Youthful Magazines and Trojan connection, and the link between Avon and Realistic.

Here's my layman's understanding-

Timely,Atlas, Marvel: I believe Marvel's original company name was Timely beginning back in 10-11/39 with Marvel Comics #1. In the 50's, they simply changed their name to Atlas (in essence ditching the name Timely). Then in the late 1950's once again changing names to Marvel (though, if my memory is correct, I believe they used the name Marvel too in the mid-late '40s). So this was all 1 schizophrenic company. I guess they are happy with Marvel now, because it's been 50 years with no name change.

Youthful Magazines and Trojan connection- They made excellent precode comics, and very well may be inter-related through single ownership. I do not have any answers for this one, but someone out there must.

Avon/Realistic: Again, this is my layman's understanding: Same company. I believe Realistic was a subsidiary of Avon used to market their own line of comic books with more 'Realistic-ally' (yet less expressionistic) drawn art.

Your analogies are different from my original question because 2/3 of the above, are single comic publishers. While Ziff-Davis and St. John are clearly 2 separate companies and entities. If I am incorrect, or if anyone can expand on what I've said, feel free, because it is interesting, as well as educational from a Comic Book historical perspective.

Relationship with Ziff Davis and St. John is that St. John bought out Ziff Davis. I'm sure they probably also had extra stock hanging around which was utilized by St. John.

I didn't know that. Is that documented somewhere, or are you speculating? Maybe St. John Publishing only purchased a few titles from Ziff Davis. Does anyone know how many ZD Romance issue numbers were reprinted by St. John? If St. John purchased the entire Ziff-Davis Company, then that means they continued to use the company under their ZD label as a subsidiary until 1956/7 when they were still publishing their only major ongoing title, G.I. Joe.

I'm just thinking aloud here, but is it possible that St. John purchased a few titles from Ziff-Davis, yet I don't know how that investment would benefit them, unless they felt that the titles Romantic Marriage, Kid Cowboy, The Hawk, Wild Boy of the Congo and Cinderella Love would benefit them, as apposed to starting their own new titles. And if St. John did purchase the entire ZD company, then did they reprint or rebound their stock of titles? I mean when we look at the Ziff-Davis titles from GCD we can see it's a small list of relatively short run titles with the exception of G.I. Joe. Why would ZD, who only appeared on the scene in 1950 sell out to St. John after only 1 year of the inception, and why wouldn't St. John Publishing switch the G.I. Joe title to their own brand name?

These are questions I am asking myself to solve these riddles of the nature of the relationship between ZD and St. John. Is it common knowledge that St. John purchased the ZD company? Is confirmation of it documented somewhere on the net? If so, why URL?

This is only a small unresolved question in my own mind, since my interests in comic books primarilybetween 1945-1954, GGA and oddball comics.