• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,575 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, szavisca said:

Well this metro book of mine came back 2.0 lower than they advertised...then I looked a little closer because I didn't remember there being a chip off the top right.  Any recourse for this? if anyone can tell me if they experienced damage to their book by CGC before?  Kinda figure they'll just tell me it was damaged in shipping or that I didn't pack it right.  They were kind enough to note the damage I'm pretty sure they caused in the graders notes...

wbt1before.jpg

wbt1after.jpg

It's always good to scan a book before sending to cgc. I had a small piece come away at the bottom of the spine and it was floating in the well. Couldn't disput that. They said the grade would be the same so who cares? I think I got some small remuneration. And reslabbing to get rid of the pesky piece.

9 hours ago, szavisca said:

Well this metro book of mine came back 2.0 lower than they advertised...then I looked a little closer because I didn't remember there being a chip off the top right.  Any recourse for this? if anyone can tell me if they experienced damage to their book by CGC before?  Kinda figure they'll just tell me it was damaged in shipping or that I didn't pack it right.  They were kind enough to note the damage I'm pretty sure they caused in the graders notes...

wbt1before.jpg

wbt1after.jpg

Well while the damage was unfortunate (and I hope they make it right) that is still one gorgeous copy! Congrats on a savvy pickup!

Speaking of Bakers coming home with undisclosed problems ....  Bought this one raw on the boards.  Price was way too cheap to bother squawking about it, but it's a bummer that this nice book was marred in this way.  On close inspection, I think I agree that the top was trimmed and that it's not just St John production sloppiness. 

2018-02-02-0001_zps1s6s5uxy.JPG

15 hours ago, szavisca said:

wbt1before.jpg

wbt1after.jpg

Ouch. Very unfortunate. If they mentioned it in the grader's notes, this implies it arrived to them in this condition. If it was not in the notes you would have had more recourse. 

1 minute ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Ouch. Very unfortunate. If they mentioned it in the grader's notes, this implies it arrived to them in this condition. If it was not in the notes you would have had more recourse. 

Yeah probably just gonna let it go, thought maybe they scan or photo books as they “verify” them... but it wouldn’t be in their interest to set up their system so as to enable people to verify that they did damage.  It’s just part of the risk in playing this game.  

Could be worse, Coulda ended up in a purple label etc etc.  Wont say I don’t care at all but It just kinda is what it is now.

1 minute ago, szavisca said:

Yeah probably just gonna let it go, thought maybe they scan or photo books as they “verify” them... but it wouldn’t be in their interest to set up their system so as to enable people to verify that they did damage.  It’s just part of the risk in playing this game.  

Could be worse, Coulda ended up in a purple label etc etc.  Wont say I don’t care at all but It just kinda is what it is now.

Not sure if you had this book pressed also. That would add another layer of suspicion. I have heard of CGC shipping noting that a package arrived in damaged condition, in which case they would have contacted you for instructions. I don't think CGC tries to dodge responsibility with something like this but if it's in the notes, I don't think much can be done. Often, a tiny chip like this is the result of the book moving around inside the mylar during shipping.  Sorry this happened to you.

11 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Not sure if you had this book pressed also. That would add another layer of suspicion. I have heard of CGC shipping noting that a package arrived in damaged condition, in which case they would have contacted you for instructions. I don't think CGC tries to dodge responsibility with something like this but if it's in the notes, I don't think much can be done. Often, a tiny chip like this is the result of the book moving around inside the mylar during shipping.  Sorry this happened to you.

For the record I didn’t press it... the very faded date stamp in the B led me to believe metro or someone else had already done it, that and the book was a pancake to begin with.

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Happier with this outcome.  Didn't realize (or forgot) that there was already a copy on the census -- a 7.5.

2018-02-02-0001_zpsengssw10.JPG

The Bride looks more and more like Baker to me (like a swiped CL25 face), but everything else says "no".  Really awesome RARE book!

1 hour ago, Yorick said:
3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Happier with this outcome.  Didn't realize (or forgot) that there was already a copy on the census -- a 7.5.

2018-02-02-0001_zpsengssw10.JPG

The Bride looks more and more like Baker to me (like a swiped CL25 face), but everything else says "no".  Really awesome RARE book!

Certainly not his usual approach, but I think it's by our man. 

Now, if only I can track down a copy of the first issue!

2 hours ago, szavisca said:

Years ago they damaged a book when they encapsulated it.  I sent them a high res scan I had done before I sent it in and they gave me a fair "store credit" for it.