• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,575 posts in this topic

I've only been actively collecting Baker/St. John books for 2 years now, and yet I must say that they've become some of my very favorite books in the entire hobby.

Still quite early in 2018 and yet I'm well on my way towards obtaining 50 Baker books per year (up to 130 of 'em now!). Many thanks to several boardies who continue to aid me in that quest.

Prices continue to be volatile, and supply is fluctuating, but long-term I am very confident that I'll continue to really enjoy Bakers for the rest of my collecting career.

Now if I only wasn't such a dunce having completely ignored Bakers for 35 years! :cry:  

1 hour ago, sacentaur said:

I've only been actively collecting Baker/St. John books for 2 years now, and yet I must say that they've become some of my very favorite books in the entire hobby.

Still quite early in 2018 and yet I'm well on my way towards obtaining 50 Baker books per year (up to 130 of 'em now!). Many thanks to several boardies who continue to aid me in that quest.

Prices continue to be volatile, and supply is fluctuating, but long-term I am very confident that I'll continue to really enjoy Bakers for the rest of my collecting career.

Now if I only wasn't such a dunce having completely ignored Bakers for 35 years! :cry:  

Ain't that truth.  Once you discover Baker, you wonder how could have overlooked him all these years.  

In our defense, the boards have been great for bringing exposure to great books that haven't been widely collected.

2 minutes ago, Yorick said:

I was sure that Giant Comics Edition 15 would break 3k.  If someone here got it - congratulations!  Good lookin copy.

I agree that it seems like a bargain.  Given he initially had it up with a BIN of $9,500, I'm sure the seller was disappointed that it went for only $2,738.

I assume it was the pq that killed it.  I know it kept me from chasing it.

Be interesting to see if the buyer has it regraded hoping for a better pq.

What's your opinion on Teen-Age Romances 14? Personally I love the cover (ever since I saw that it was used for the cover of Benson's book on Baker), though several Baker aficionados have told me it's not one of their top favorites.

A 3.0 (and PGX of all things) sold for a thousand bucks on CLink, I have two raw 3.0's ...

5 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

What's your opinion on Teen-Age Romances 14? Personally I love the cover (ever since I saw that it was used for the cover of Benson's book on Baker), though several Baker aficionados have told me it's not one of their top favorites.

A 3.0 (and PGX of all things) sold for a thousand bucks on CLink, I have two raw 3.0's ...

My personal opinion is that it's a classic cover, and will one day be noted as such...  

tar14_pb.jpg

1 minute ago, 29dukedog said:
8 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

My personal opinion is that it's a classic cover, and will one day be noted as such...  

tar14_pb.jpg

I'm in the minority on this, but I've never been crazy about it.  Way down there on my list of Baker's best.

I don't think it did all that well in our Baker poll from last year, although I may be misremembering. 

1 hour ago, Yorick said:

I was sure that Giant Comics Edition 15 would break 3k.  If someone here got it - congratulations!  Good lookin copy.

For a while I had a max bid of $3100.  But it's not really a favorite Baker to me, so around mid-day yesterday I reduced my max bid to $2100 (this is when it was at $2000).  I didn't expect to win and I didn't, and I'm good with my decision.  But I think the buyer got a good deal, if you look at what Bakers have been going for the last 6 months.

16 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

Did anyone see Tar 13 listed on ebay get pulled after one bid? Low grade copy but you never see it.

Yep, I saw it, too.  Must've been a private sale, and I'll bet the seller unknowingly settled for a fraction of what an auction would've brought.

1 hour ago, n2wdw said:

For a while I had a max bid of $3100.  But it's not really a favorite Baker to me, so around mid-day yesterday I reduced my max bid to $2100 (this is when it was at $2000).  I didn't expect to win and I didn't, and I'm good with my decision.  But I think the buyer got a good deal, if you look at what Bakers have been going for the last 6 months.

I could be wrong, but I think as, say, an OW-W it would have done an easy $5K.  I think of it as a real Baker key and it's pretty tough even in mid-grade.  People really seem to shy away from LT books. 

1 hour ago, 29dukedog said:
1 hour ago, comicnoir said:

Did anyone see Tar 13 listed on ebay get pulled after one bid? Low grade copy but you never see it.

Yep, I saw it, too.  Must've been a private sale, and I'll bet the seller unknowingly settled for a fraction of what an auction would've brought.

I know this has been happening since forever on eBay, but I've never really understood it.  What's the pitch used on the seller? "I'll pay you $X right now.  Better take it or you may have to settle for 0.5 x $X when the auction ends."  Who would fall for that?  If one guy approaches you with an offer, particularly right at the beginning of a listing, why not let the auction play out and see if there aren't other people who might be very interested in the book? You may end up (which was probably the case here) with 2 or 3 x $X. 

1 hour ago, comicnoir said:

Missed it, but TAR 13 is a Baker I rarely see and have never owned (would love to have one!).

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I agree that it seems like a bargain.  Given he initially had it up with a BIN of $9,500, I'm sure the seller was disappointed that it went for only $2,738.

I assume it was the pq that killed it.  I know it kept me from chasing it.

Be interesting to see if the buyer has it regraded hoping for a better pq.

I was pretty interested in that book. I regret not getting the Crippen when it was here on the boards 6 months ago for $2k. Seemed high at the time.

General rule so far in the 2 years I have been here: High at the time golden age books on the forum = Great deals 6 months later.