• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,579 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, fett said:

GCD has this as Vince Colletta and/or Giordano. Anyone think that is a baker boy coming up the stairs? Similar to other covers I've seen. 

RomanticSecrets020.jpg

Colletta all the way for me, although the central figures do bear a family resemblance to those on the covers of Teen-Age Temptations 2 and Romantic Marriage 24.  

6 hours ago, comicnoir said:

Had to post again. Crippen copy.

teen-age romances 13 (1).jpeg

Wow.

Great colors, gray blue, purple ... But no way the characters are "teen-agers"? Not even in America, not even in the 50s, when much more people dressed properly? :wink: Who bought these books? Single women in their twenties dreaming of Mr. Right? Female teen-agers, bored of their classmates, curious about future "possibilities"?

Edited by Pickie

1 hour ago, RICK STARR said:

I think the TR # 13 is a far better cover than the  #14. 

Well, it came back today and needless to say, I am pleased. Plus the OW/W pages!

5a7a934fb6d1d_GCE15B.thumb.jpg.ca9d06e36b41513593ecb222199ef8b0.jpg

AQUAMAN 11.jpg

ARMY AT WAR 112 BC.jpg

ARMY AT WAR 112.jpg

ATOM AGE 2 BC.jpg

ATOM AGE 2.jpg

BATMAN 123.jpg

Congrats. New single highest graded. Looks spectacular.

7 hours ago, Pickie said:

Wow.

Great colors, gray blue, purple ... But no way the characters are "teen-agers"? Not even in America, not even in the 50s, when much more people dressed properly? :wink: Who bought these books? Single women in their twenties dreaming of Mr. Right? Female teen-agers, bored of their classmates, curious about future "possibilities"?

Yeah, that's a common observation:  Baker didn't do a good job of drawing teenagers.  Even in situations like the cover of TAR 42 that is supposed to be showing students, the man in particular looks much too old. 

2017-11-01-0001_zpsikutswu5-2.JPG

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 4:48 PM, szavisca said:

Thanks, appreciate that.  I guess I’ll write them an email.  Worst they can do is say sorry not our fault.  And with that  I’ll stop clogging up the Baker thread with my plight :) ... until I post about the resolution anyway.

If anyone cares or wants to know for their own purposes CGC was pretty quick with their response.  I basically emailed them and politely asked if they photo books as soon as they receive and verify them or had any way of knowing if my book was damaged while in their care.   They said they note condition immediately upon arrival and that the damage was likely to have been caused in transit.  Not a surprising response and I can't really say I disagree with it.  They did as a courtesy offer to credit my account a small amount that basically covered the cost of having the book graded to begin with.  Bummer that it got damaged however that happened, but nice of them to offer the credit, they didn't really need to do that.

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Yeah, that's a common observation:  Baker didn't do a good job of drawing teenagers.  Even in situations like the cover of TAR 42 that is supposed to be showing students, the man in particular looks much too old. 

2017-11-01-0001_zpsikutswu5-2.JPG

Teacher's Pet?

I have just a lowly CGC 2.5 on this issue.

The CGC 5.0 just went up on CLink...

Edited by sacentaur

59 minutes ago, szavisca said:

If anyone cares or wants to know for their own purposes CGC was pretty quick with their response.  I basically emailed them and politely asked if they photo books as soon as they receive and verify them or had any way of knowing if my book was damaged while in their care.   They said they note condition immediately upon arrival and that the damage was likely to have been caused in transit.  Not a surprising response and I can't really say I disagree with it.  They did as a courtesy offer to credit my account a small amount that basically covered the cost of having the book graded to begin with.  Bummer that it got damaged however that happened, but nice of them to offer the credit, they didn't really need to do that.

Thanks for posting the followup.  Seems like the best outcome from an unfortunate event.  I've always been satisfied with CGC even when, in the end, they weren't able to accommodate me, as with books that I was sure were pedigrees but they were unconvinced. Even better, though, were the times when I did finally convince them! :)

22 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I know this has been happening since forever on eBay, but I've never really understood it.  What's the pitch used on the seller? "I'll pay you $X right now.  Better take it or you may have to settle for 0.5 x $X when the auction ends."  Who would fall for that?  If one guy approaches you with an offer, particularly right at the beginning of a listing, why not let the auction play out and see if there aren't other people who might be very interested in the book? You may end up (which was probably the case here) with 2 or 3 x $X. 

This used to be possible, but ebay does not allow communication outside of its message system.  I've tried to share my email address/phone number with sellers or buyers several times with no luck.  Blocked.  I guess if you've done business with the seller or buyer prior to the auction listing, then you'd have their contact info.  Sometimes I'll buy someone's drek so that I obtain their direct contact info and then work out deals on the real book I want.  When I sell, I don't like ending auctions early, but sometimes it might be worth it.

If only I had taken that offer for my Going Steady 11 instead of letting the auction ride...  At least a friendly boardie got that book.

1 hour ago, Yorick said:

This used to be possible, but ebay does not allow communication outside of its message system.  I've tried to share my email address/phone number with sellers or buyers several times with no luck.  Blocked.  I guess if you've done business with the seller or buyer prior to the auction listing, then you'd have their contact info.  Sometimes I'll buy someone's drek so that I obtain their direct contact info and then work out deals on the real book I want.  When I sell, I don't like ending auctions early, but sometimes it might be worth it.

If only I had taken that offer for my Going Steady 11 instead of letting the auction ride...  At least a friendly boardie got that book.

Actually, I think there are ways around it if you spell out your e-mail address in the message to the seller in a way that eBay's filters don't block.  

21 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Actually, I think there are ways around it if you spell out your e-mail address in the message to the seller in a way that eBay's filters don't block.  

I've tried that but they have filters for AOL and America on Line and  10 digit phone numbers with or without spaces. It has gotton pretty hard. You really have to look to find out who you are even buying from now.