• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,575 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, sagii said:

:applause:Nice to see the OP of this Thread posting (and hosting)!

I am very thankful to all of you who have kept this thread going all of these years.  One thing in common, we all appreciate Matt Baker :))

1 minute ago, JvR11 said:
3 minutes ago, sagii said:

:applause:Nice to see the OP of this Thread posting (and hosting)!

I am very thankful to all of you who have kept this thread going all of these years.  One thing in common, we all appreciate Matt Baker :))

And a toast... to the Baker hostess with the most-ess!  :martini:

I assume a Baker fan won this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nov-1955-Nugget-men-039-s-magazine-Vol-1-No-1-mag10658-/352290301657?nma=true&si=fzl8syYJm99fAuNCLmx8M4PiQfc%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I imagine the seller was surprised at the price he got for a "vintage girlie magazine," as he described it.  

Well worth picking up a copy, for anyone who doesn't have one. 

2 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I assume a Baker fan won this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nov-1955-Nugget-men-039-s-magazine-Vol-1-No-1-mag10658-/352290301657?nma=true&si=fzl8syYJm99fAuNCLmx8M4PiQfc%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I imagine the seller was surprised at the price he got for a "vintage girlie magazine," as he described it.  

Unless he's seen some of the other copies that have sold on eBay in recent months... I've seen at least two others that went for $100. to $200. (one was a BIN). 

Just now, 29dukedog said:
6 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Unless he's seen some of the other copies that have sold on eBay in recent months... I've seen at least two others that went for $100. to $200. (one was a BIN). 

If he had known what he had and put "Baker" in the title, I bet he could have gotten a $100 or more.  I may be forgetting, but I don't think any of the auction houses have offered a copy noting the Baker angle.  Heritage listed a copy last year, but without mentioning Baker.  It sold for $51.

8 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

If he had known what he had and put "Baker" in the title, I bet he could have gotten a $100 or more.  I may be forgetting, but I don't think any of the auction houses have offered a copy noting the Baker angle.  Heritage listed a copy last year, but without mentioning Baker.  It sold for $51.

doh! 

Of course, I'd forgotten this last auction was only listed in "magazine back issues".  The others I'd seen were listed in Golden Age comics. 

1 minute ago, RobbieC said:

I have had this copy for around 5 years and recently graded it.  I haven't really shown it off before. The story behind finding it was I stopped to eat at an Outback on the way home from a road trip. Across the street was a comic shop. I rarely go to comic shops, maybe once or twice per year. I walked in and they didn't have much that interested me but they had a couple mag boxes of golden age under their tables. I was more than shocked when I came across this copy of CL 25. I had been aware of it for years but GA romance is generally not what I collect. The kicker was there were about 10 or so more Baker covers in similar or nicer grades. The ones I remember were Going Steady and more Cinderella Loves. I didn't own a smart phone at the time and wasn't sure on the rest so I left them. I realized what I passed up on about 6 months later and ran into the owner at a local con. I asked if he still had them. He said he couldn't sell them so he just blew them out to a dealer. Surprising to hear considering the very low price tags he had on them. Oh well. At least I scored this beauty...

20180304_153219.thumb.png.e3ef2b9ed88bf8d9359b4f6ca4db9716.png

Stunning. What a find. 

16 minutes ago, RobbieC said:

I have had this copy for around 5 years and recently graded it.  I haven't really shown it off before. The story behind finding it was I stopped to eat at an Outback on the way home from a road trip. Across the street was a comic shop. I rarely go to comic shops, maybe once or twice per year. I walked in and they didn't have much that interested me but they had a couple mag boxes of golden age under their tables. I was more than shocked when I came across this copy of CL 25. I had been aware of it for years but GA romance is generally not what I collect. The kicker was there were about 10 or so more Baker covers in similar or nicer grades. The ones I remember were Going Steady and more Cinderella Loves. I didn't own a smart phone at the time and wasn't sure on the rest so I left them. I realized what I passed up on about 6 months later and ran into the owner at a local con. I asked if he still had them. He said he couldn't sell them so he just blew them out to a dealer. Surprising to hear considering the very low price tags he had on them. Oh well. At least I scored this beauty...

20180304_153219.thumb.png.e3ef2b9ed88bf8d9359b4f6ca4db9716.png

Yowza and White pages to boot!  Sensational find!

7 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I was happy to end up with this one even though it cost me a little more than I would have preferred. One of my favorite Baker montage covers.

IMG_0270.PNG

I'm glad you won it and I'm glad it was won by someone who realized that Heritage's write-up was incorrect to say that it's the highest graded copy.  It (and SS 4) are probably my favorite Baker non-St John covers.

And it might be worth mentioning that Heritage seems to be making a lot of errors lately in referencing the census.  I won a book last night that supposedly had only one copy on the census when in fact there are three copies. So, for anyone for whom census rank matters a lot, it's worth double checking what Heritage says in an auction write-up. 

2 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I'm glad you won it and I'm glad it was won by someone who realized that Heritage's write-up was incorrect to say that it's the highest graded copy.  It (and SS 4) are probably my favorite Baker non-St John covers.

And it might be worth mentioning that Heritage seems to be making a lot of errors lately in referencing the census.  I won a book last night that supposedly had only one copy on the census when in fact there are three copies. So, for anyone for whom census rank matters a lot, it's worth double checking what Heritage says in an auction write-up. 

I noticed the error (as you know I am aware of the Mile High copy lol