• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
42 42

13,509 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I was happy to end up with this one even though it cost me a little more than I would have preferred. One of my favorite Baker montage covers.

IMG_0270.PNG

Not a lot of Baker 9.2s out there, and this one of his earliest credited ones, wouldn’t have been shocked to see it go higher. In a few years it’ll look like a bargain.  Great pickup I’d say.

2 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I was happy to end up with this one even though it cost me a little more than I would have preferred. One of my favorite Baker montage covers.

IMG_0270.PNG

Lovely book and white paper to boot (thumbsu

Have we already ranked Cinderella Love 15, 25-29?  Well, either way here's mine... 

#1.  25  (Duh.)
#2.  27  (After number one, this immediately gets tough...)
#3.  28  (A bittersweet, almost sad cover, but the girl's daydream is so enchanting.)
#4.  26  (Very tough to put these last three in order...
#5   29  ...my adoration of them all is so close...
#6   15  ...I may as well just draw the numbers from a hat.) 

For reference: 

8 hours ago, RICK STARR said:

Here is the 7.0 from ComicConnect. Though I paid a lot more than $550 for it.  At the time,  I thought I had taken leave of my senses after winning it.

5a9e32f0c3309_TEENTEMPTS2.thumb.jpg.38ac9a6880fb83aab7ef7500fb188fb9.jpg

Sensational colors!

47 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:
Have we already ranked Cinderella Love 15, 25-29?  Well, either way here's mine... 

#1.  25  (Duh.)
#2.  27  (After number one, this immediately gets tough...)
#3.  28  (A bittersweet, almost sad cover, but the girl's daydream is so enchanting.)
#4.  26  (Very tough to put these last three in order...
#5   29  ...my adoration of them all is so close...
#6   15  ...I may as well just draw the numbers from a hat.) 

For reference: 

1.  25 (Double duh!)

2.  28 (One of his absolute best)

3.  26 (Such a great cover and another indication of how innovative he was)

4.  15 (Classic theme of the pretty girl torn between the rich guy (wearing a tuxedo, no less!) and the poor, honest, hard-working, thoughtful, well-mannered, diligent, guy from the neighborhood (in his high school t-shirt)) :gossip: Take the rich guy!

5.  27 (Interesting composition.  I don't think he did many snow scenes.)

6.  29 (I know a lot of people love this one, but it's not one of my favs.)

9 hours ago, RICK STARR said:

Here is the 7.0 from ComicConnect. Though I paid a lot more than $550 for it.  At the time,  I thought I had taken leave of my senses after winning it.

5a9e32f0c3309_TEENTEMPTS2.thumb.jpg.38ac9a6880fb83aab7ef7500fb188fb9.jpg

Great color quality.

27 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

1.  25 (Double duh!)

2.  28 (One of his absolute best)

3.  26 (Such a great cover and another indication of how innovative he was)

4.  15 (Classic theme of the pretty girl torn between the rich guy (wearing a tuxedo, no less!) and the poor, honest, hard-working, thoughtful, well-mannered, diligent, guy from the neighborhood (in his high school t-shirt)) :gossip: Take the rich guy!

5.  27 (Interesting composition.  I don't think he did many snow scenes.)

6.  29 (I know a lot of people love this one, but it's not one of my favs.)

There is something special about 26.  I would have to say I like this more than 25.  Also, I would but 28 before 25.  

12 minutes ago, JvR11 said:
35 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

:taptaptap:

I know most don't agree :)

I remembered that CL 26 is your favorite issue, but I was under the impression CL 25 was a close second!    

46 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

I remembered that CL 26 is your favorite issue, but I was under the impression CL 25 was a close second!    

It's hard to really pick :) CL28 doesn't get the credit it deserves either. haha

24 minutes ago, JvR11 said:

It's hard to really pick :) CL28 doesn't get the credit it deserves either. haha

Just occurred to me that that's the cover that really evokes the "Cinderella" theme. hm

18 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:
44 minutes ago, JvR11 said:

Just occurred to me that that's the cover that really evokes the "Cinderella" theme. hm

I never really thought about that, either, and you are absolutely correct!  In the beginning of Cinderella's story, she is depressed and downtrodden, like our girl on CL 28 appears to be.  Later, as we know, her story turns into one filled with magic and romance, as our girl's daydream seems to foreshadow.  After all, everyone knows the term "cinderella story" means a happy turn of events resulting out of an unhappy or unlikely beginning.  So, we just know good things are in our girl's future.  

Good observation.  (thumbsu

cl28_pb.jpg

Here's my copy.  It's brighter in hand and, unfortunately, scanner glare has run amuck.  I used to own a 4.0 that's about the nicest book in that grade you will ever see.  I bought it already slabbed on the boards and never got around to buying the grader's notes to see what hidden sorrows it might have.  For anyone who doesn't own a copy, that's one to look out for if it ever comes back on the market.  Looks more like an 8.0, maybe higher.

b3210bf1-266a-4db8-8dc4-e047dc5f0f8b_zpsquztoodd.JPG

Found a scan of it.  Some wear and a bit of creasing in the lower right corner, so not quite as high-grade looking as I remembered.  Still a heck of a copy for the grade.  Kind of wish I had held on to it now. hm

CinderellaLove28CGC40_zps170f2f04.JPG

3 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Here's my copy.  It's brighter in hand and, unfortunately, scanner glare has run amuck.  I used to own a 4.0 that's about the nicest book in that grade you will ever see.  I bought it already slabbed on the boards and never got around to buying the grader's notes to see what hidden sorrows it might have.  For anyone who doesn't own a copy, that's one to look out for if it ever comes back on the market.  Looks more like an 8.0, maybe higher.

b3210bf1-266a-4db8-8dc4-e047dc5f0f8b_zpsquztoodd.JPG

I remember the auction in which you won this... most copies, like mine, have the red registration just a little bit off, but that effects all fleshy areas, including lips... and is especially noticed in the dream sequence characters' features.  But your copy has all the reds perfectly in place, which is rare for this issue... and that's why I was so, sooooo tempted to bid highly on this one.  

1 minute ago, 29dukedog said:

I remember the auction in which you won this... most copies, like mine, have the red registration just a little bit off, but that effects all fleshy areas, including lips... and is especially noticed in the dream sequence characters' features.  But your copy has all the reds perfectly in place, which is rare for this issue... and that's why I was so, sooooo tempted to bid highly on this one.  

I'm sooo glad that you didn't! :)