• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,558 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

I'm guessing the light foxing probably hurt the grade more than we might imagine.  

Yeah, that's the downside of this copy.  Another reason that I should probably have hung on to the 4.0. 

1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:
4 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

I'm guessing the light foxing probably hurt the grade more than we might imagine.  

Yeah, that's the downside of this copy.  Another reason that I should probably have hung on to the 4.0. 

For the color alone, I'd take your copy over a technically nicer one with the usual imperfect reds.  But that's just me, my eye appeal preference.  

39 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

I never really thought about that, either, and you are absolutely correct!  In the beginning of Cinderella's story, she is depressed and downtrodden, like our girl on CL 28 appears to be.  Later, as we know, her story turns into one filled with magic and romance, as our girl's daydream seems to foreshadow.  After all, everyone knows the term "cinderella story" means a happy turn of events resulting out of an unhappy or unlikely beginning.  So, we just know good things are in our girl's future.  

Good observation.  (thumbsu

cl28_pb.jpg

Geez, that's the first thing I thought this was the Cinderella story. That and 26 staying up past midnight and you turn back.

27 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Found a scan of it.  Some wear and a bit of creasing in the lower right corner, so not quite as high-grade looking as I remembered.  

Still a heck of a copy for the grade.  Kind of wish I had held on to it now. hm

CinderellaLove28CGC40_zps170f2f04.JPG

It's now a 6.0 - had some gentle folds that brought the grade down, so one of the few books I had pressed and it came out just great. 

Very, very happy with it! :) 

3 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

It's now a 6.0 - had some gentle folds that brought the grade down, so one of the few books I had pressed and it came out just great. 

Excellent!  That grade is much more representative of the book.  

4 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

Geez, that's the first thing I thought this was the Cinderella story. That and 26 staying up past midnight and you turn back.

Never thought of that connection, either!  Hey, we're on a roll... 

5 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

I remember when I claimed that book in a sales thread, somebody posted something along the lines of, "I don't want to butt in, but did you just buy that book for 20X guide?"  I replied, "These books are a little undervalued in the guide." :)

CL 25 is kind of a no-brainer.  You just know the woman has an evening of excitement and passion ahead of her.  (The only difference is, she seems to start off right in the middle of those things.)  But it's the same theme; the promise of greater adventures to come. 

CL 25 is just a fireworks display of color and form.  Ingenious in its design, no space goes unoccupied, and the numerous background elements are masterfully placed and balanced.  Busy but not cluttered.  

I can't rave about this cover enough.  Besides being the masterpiece of a bonafide master, it reaches the level of iconic.  All that, and it's a delicious slice of pure Americana.   

cl25_Ja_pb.jpg

Now I'm thinking about CL 15's "love triangle" situation... does she choose the rich guy or the poor guy?  With the Cinderella "spin" in mind, which one makes more sense, I wonder...?  

hm  

cl15_pb.jpg

4 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

Now I'm thinking about CL 15's "love triangle" situation... does she choose the rich guy or the poor guy?  With the Cinderella "spin" in mind, which one makes more sense, I wonder...?  

hm  

cl15_pb.jpg

Kind of a reverse Betty and Veronica situation here. Reverse gender and hair color.

2 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

hm  

cl15_pb.jpg

She picks the rich doctor then hooks up with the poor guy and they off the rich guy and dump him in a swamp. They are partying with the money and the rich guy's corpse comes back and offs them in some twisted medical way. I know, I read too many EC's. I like them better anyway...

4 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

hm  

cl15_pb.jpg

I think the guy in the tux is a poor dude in a rented suit. The other guy is obviously the rich one. He's wearing a rare YELLOW leather jacket and probably has an expensive hot rod parked nearby.

50 minutes ago, MBFan said:

I think the guy in the tux is a poor dude in a rented suit. The other guy is obviously the rich one. He's wearing a rare YELLOW leather jacket and probably has an expensive hot rod parked nearby.

You may be on to something... and the guy's expensive hot rod might even look something like this: 

cl29_pb.jpg

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 6:28 PM, MBFan said:

Sure... how about this:  One guy is rich, the other is poor, but she doesn't know which one is which... and she is allowed to ask just one question of just one guy (not knowing which guy is which)... and the answer to this question must provide her with the info she needs to make the right choice. 

What is the question she must ask?  (and why does this sound oddly familiar...?)