• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,578 posts in this topic

How about some more Baker illustrations? His illustration work is just as phenomenal as his comic work. I've been seeking his illustration work out for a few years and it's even more difficult to find than some of his comic work.

Here's Baker's take on this cover for Rage For Men (or maybe vice versa?). I think the only reason he didn't get the covers of some of these men's magazines is because he worked in pencils/charcoals. Matt's nephew still has the original to this beautiful illustration. I hope in the upcoming Baker book they show some detailed shots of this this piece. The image below is from the internal magazine shot and not an image of the original.

3929047658_60f97a0ebf.jpg

RageForMenIllustrations.jpg

Also, Matt worked on a children's illustration book on Cinderella along with Alex Blum and Ruth Roche.

Here's an interior shot. I think he certainly worked on the "fairy godmother".

Cinderella2.jpg

How about some cool covers...

It's really hard to pick favorite covers since there are so many. This is one of many of my favorite covers. Baker was able to capture the kind of essence of the characters. The blond (Gloria) in her body language and demeanor is certainly cast as the innocent girl and Karen is totally the risk taker, wrong side of tracks influences. This reminds me of a Sandy/Rizzo relationship. But, I know this was way before this. She even reminds me a little of Sandra Dee but again Sandra Dee wasn't popular until the very late 50's.

WR5.jpg

The girl in this cover looks like there was some kind of influence from a source. Maybe a fashion magazine or movie star?

I was thinking the dress is very southern belle, kind of like "Scarlet O'hara".

img050-1.jpg

Both of those are marvelous Baker covers! :applause:

That Cinderella Love 27 has something very special going for it. What is that, a 9.6 with White Pages? Nice copy!

It's 8.5 with WHITE pages. I submitted this one, myself, so I got to see it raw, and it's a super fresh copy with snow white pages (appropriately).