• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,554 posts in this topic

That Cinderella Love 27 has something very special going for it. What is that, a 9.6 with White Pages? Nice copy!

It's 8.5 with WHITE pages. I submitted this one, myself, so I got to see it raw, and it's a super fresh copy with snow white pages (appropriately).

Thanks for the industrial strength repro, Rick! (thumbs u You showed it me a year or two back but not such a terrific scan. Am I mistaken or didnt you pick it up trawling a local comic mart?

Anyway, not sure anyone could follow that! I only have a few to choose from these days, but here is Bob Overstreet's copy of DS #25 (as was the #27):

DiarySecrets2565Overstreetcopy.jpg

Thanks for the industrial strength repro, Rick! (thumbs u You showed it me a year or two back but not such a terrific scan. Am I mistaken or didnt you pick it up trawling a local comic mart?

Nope, this was one of those eBay finds we dream of. The seller called the book "Very Good", and posted only a single, poorly focused digital photo. There was still a lot of competition over it, but because of the uncertainty over the grade, most bidders were reluctant to go too high. The seller was a magazine dealer, and after the auction he told me the comic was discovered in a stack of magazines which was unsold stock from a genuine old time country store.

cinderellalove26.jpg

Are you the eBayer that won this copy for four hundred and some-odd dollars? If so, nice score. I've never seen a higher grade copy.

Yes I'm the one. Paid more than I budgeted for. Now the question is who was the under-bidder? Is (s)he here on the boards?

Edited by comixnoir

cinderellalove26.jpg

Are you the eBayer that won this copy for four hundred and some-odd dollars? If so, nice score. I've never seen a higher grade copy.

Yes I'm the one. Paid more than I budgeted for. Now the question is who was the under-bidder? Is (s)he here on the boards?

Wasn't me, but it sure does sound like someone who was serious about having a copy.

I've been going through my collection and changing the backing boards to Gerber after I've heard how regular backing boards can actually cause more harm than good.:) I'm glad I am changing these out because then hopefully it will be a one time change. So, I'll be scanning some more and posting some images as I go along. I picked this one up from Michael a couple years back. :)

TR16.jpg

I know you've got your copy. A serious collector it would seem, might spend time here. Then again they might be shy. :blush:

It wasnt me either - I gave up the ghost well before it hit three figures! I was quietly astonished to see it hit four hundred, though it's a very tough book and that's a great copy. About five years back there were bidding wars on Ebay for Baker romance. I wont mention hois name but there was one guy who was going out of town and was going to miss the end of about a dozen Ebay auctions of later St John issues/ He put enormous bids on ach one - we are talking four figures here - only to find angry biddrs bidding up and up and up. Pretty soon we were all getting involved - those of us around at the time, though I'm sure Richard and Joanna were too wise and generally civilised to do so! Bids reached astronomical proportions up to $900 and more. I actually got an email from him asking me not to bid any higher. I got the impression his bids might have been around $2000...

Other bidding wars followed for a few years - ir's why I sold most of mine!

Picked this one up a couple years ago. A rare digest...

img127.jpg

This one is hardly ever seen. Does it have Baker inside do you know?

Yes, it does. The cover is actually from a panel in one of the interior stories. This has the same interior as TADS 7.

This one took forever to find. It's difficult to find high grade in this issue. There were a couple for sale on ComicConnect a year or two back but I wasn't aggressive enough in bidding. So, I'm happy to have this low grade copy. I think you really have to be happy with low grades in order to even attempt to be a completist in the St. John run.

PictorialRomances.jpg

Edited by JvR11