• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,575 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Beautiful copy! Would lap mine for highest graded if you decide to send it in. 

Thanks T. 

I will, hopefully  soon. I'm working on a custom set for the Registry.  Only thing is when ever I think my buying has cooled off enough,  and I begin what I hope to be frequent grading submissions , the big 3 go and auction books I want and the submissions come to a grinding halt (:

8 minutes ago, sagii said:

Thanks T. 

I will, hopefully  soon. I'm working on a custom set for the Registry.  Only thing is when ever I think my buying has cooled off enough,  and I begin what I hope to be frequent grading submissions , the big 3 go and auction books I want and the submissions come to a grinding halt (:

I certainly know how that is!

20 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

CGC wouldn't recognize the Baker pencils on a story or the (signed!) Colletta cover. But they're there, dammit! :sumo:

Only graded copy -- not that people are breaking down CGC's doors to get these books graded. 

2019-07-08-0001.jpg

Nice one.

One Atlas clincher to another (and a cross post from today)

This one i feel had Baker 'break downs' if not 'hard' pencils. The foreground figures are overwhelmingly Colletta. The women in the background don't look like Colletta's, but like Baker and they scream his St. John Romance gossip scene covers. Also the blondish girls face looks just like the panel that at @29dukedog 's avatar is from. 

Just my opinion (and most of you have abandoned debating this stuff with me anywho lol :banana: )

My Own Romance #66.jpg

2 minutes ago, sagii said:

Nice one.

One Atlas clincher to another (and a cross post from today)

This one i feel had Baker 'break downs' if not 'hard' pencils. The foreground figures are overwhelmingly Colletta. The women in the background don't look like Colletta's, but like Baker and they scream his St. John Romance gossip scene covers. Also the blondish girls face looks just like the panel that at @29dukedog 's avatar is from. 

Just my opinion (and most of you have abandoned debating this stuff with me anywho lol :banana: )

My Own Romance #66.jpg

I dunno. The guy looks Bakerish to me. Colletta seems to have inked with a heavy hand. 

I posted this one a day or two ago in another thread. If it wasn't signed by both of them, I could believe this one was just by Colletta. Although I admit those do look like Williamson lions!

JanJungj_10_70.jpg

5 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Now who the heck is this Tom Scheuer to further confuse and befuddle us? ???

2019-07-08-0001.jpg

I don't know......but to use a statement made to me many times on this subject:

Looks like Colletta to me lol

2 minutes ago, sagii said:

I don't know......but to use a statement made to me many times on this subject:

Looks like Colletta to me lol

It sure the heck does. Colletta was rumored occasionally to be on the wrong side of the law. Maybe he was in the witness protection program under an assumed name during this period. (:

16 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Now who the heck is this Tom Scheuer to further confuse and befuddle us? ???

2019-07-08-0001.jpg

GCD says JVJ changed the notes from what was originally Colletta to Scheuer in 2016.  However, Atlas Tales attributes to Colletta.  From when he took over the Atlas romance reins in 1954, all of the covers for this title starting from #61 were his - this should be no exception.

Also, the clothing is clearly Colletta.  His fashion sense was second to none, on par with Baker and perhaps even better.  Hard to imagine he would do partial pencils.

'Nuff said!  If I run into JVJ I'll set him straight. :preach:

On 7/9/2019 at 2:30 PM, Dr. Love said:

GCD says JVJ changed the notes from what was originally Colletta to Scheuer in 2016.  However, Atlas Tales attributes to Colletta.  From when he took over the Atlas romance reins in 1954, all of the covers for this title starting from #61 were his - this should be no exception.

Also, the clothing is clearly Colletta.  His fashion sense was second to none, on par with Baker and perhaps even better.  Hard to imagine he would do partial pencils.

'Nuff said!  If I run into JVJ I'll set him straight. :preach:

About the only reason I can think to question the Colletta attribution is the lack of a signature. Can't be too many of his Atlas books that lack one. But who knows? Maybe he forgot to add it or maybe it was on the sweater of the crying woman and he didn't realize the sweater was going to be colored black and the signature would be covered up or .... 

It just seems improbable to me that this Scheuer guy was hanging around Atlas and aping Colletta's style this well without being better known. But maybe JV, Jr. has a good reason for changing the attribution. 

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Can't remember whether I posted this one before. Is there a better non-CGC recognized pedigree than the New Hampshire collection?

The census on this one is a bit unusual. Only three graded copies: two 9.2s and a 5.0. 

Texj_7_92_zpsjqyvr8bz.JPG

@MrBedrock gave you the password to get in on the fresh off the printer type copies at the underground conventions hm