• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,556 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

Also finally picked up this issue, on eBay, for about $200. less than a lower grade copy recently sold for here on the boards...  

PictorialRomances19_2019aa.jpg

That's the last PR issue I need.  Never wanted to pay much for it, which is why I still don't have one!  Great lookin copy.

23 minutes ago, Yorick said:

That's the last PR issue I need.  Never wanted to pay much for it, which is why I still don't have one!  Great lookin copy.

PR 9 or 13 will most likely be my last issues to come in, and for that exact same reason.  (For a book titled, "Pictorial Romances", why are so many covers little more than three or four figures, evenly sized and spaced, just standing there stiffly, with dialogue balloons added?  Issue 9 is the epitome of this trend.) 

1 hour ago, 29dukedog said:

PR 9 or 13 will most likely be my last issues to come in, and for that exact same reason.  (For a book titled, "Pictorial Romances", why are so many covers little more than three or four figures, evenly sized and spaced, just standing there stiffly, with dialogue balloons added?  Issue 9 is the epitome of this trend.) 

Certainly not as inspired as his covers to 7, 15 and 17....

I have 9 and 13 because they were CHEAP.  Then I had so many of the other issues, I just told myself that I needed to finish the run!  I don't even like some of those covers.  :|

What is wrong with me?!!!  What is this power Baker has over me?

I actually like 19, it doesn't hit at first, but his crowded composition creates claustrophobia and there is a tension with the guy's arm keeping the distraught mother from seeing the girlfriend who is nicely drawn with cute legs. So there..

23 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

You are not just buying a Baker, you putting a piece of the Baker continuum in place. A desire to see the ebb and flow of the master may help explain this power.

Well put. 

18 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

I actually like 19, it doesn't hit at first, but his crowded composition creates claustrophobia and there is a tension with the guy's arm keeping the distraught mother from seeing the girlfriend who is nicely drawn with cute legs. So there..

I've always liked the PR 19 cover.  For years it killed me that I passed up the 6th St. copy, a gorgeous CGC 6.5 for $750. BIN.  It sat there on eBay for weeks, too, and I came so close many times, but ultimately decided I could eventually find an equally nice looking copy for less.  

And years later, I did.   :)

But I still regret passing up that TR 33...   :pullhair:

18 hours ago, comicnoir said:

That and a very forthright depiction of the complications of a child born out of wedlock make for a much better than average Baker production.

On 7/22/2019 at 10:14 PM, 29dukedog said:

...and a big part of why I initially passed on the 6th St. PR 19:  It was first offered along with the PR 21, 23, and 24, and at that time my comic budget only allowed me one of those books... and that was a no-brainer:  

PictorialRomances21_6st_pb.jpg

I really like that right edge showing a little bit of the production process.

There is no way to ID a 6th Street other than knowing whom you bought it from?

22 minutes ago, Yorick said:

I really like that right edge showing a little bit of the production process.

There is no way to ID a 6th Street other than knowing whom you bought it from?

Not really.  Many of the books from that collection had tiny black spots here and there from the coal storage room where they were kept.  You can see one on my PR 21, just above and right of the issue number.  (Many times it's very nearly caused me to break the book out of the slab, just to scrape off that speck.)  

But this is hardly a reliable method of identification as many books will have been cleaned and pressed since they were purchased... and not all had coal specks on the covers to begin with.   

I picked up a Baker Lassie reader copy (front cover totally stained).  Are all of the Lassie issues so completely devoid of great Baker ladies?  I mean, Baker faces are awesome nearly all of the time, but there was probably only one panel in the whole issue which gave a hint of how well Baker drew the female form.  For instance, the leading lady wore a completely black shirt (no light reflecting folds or anything - just solid black).  I understand Lassie is for a younger audience, but geez... seems the Comic Code just went overboard with this one.

Found a scan I didn't know I had of my Wild Boy 15.  I forget who advanced the idea that Baker did a masculine and a feminine version of the underwater-fight-to-the-death scenario; WB 15 being the male and Seven Seas 4, the female.  I liked that, as I have an identical notion pertaining to Wood's Weird Science 13 and 14.  (Speak up- whose idea was that?)

There's a lower grade WB 15 auction ending tonight on Clink, btw...  :baiting:   

WildBoy15_2014aa.jpg

2 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

There's a lower grade WB 15 auction ending tonight on Clink, btw.

Speaking of Baker non romance on CLink tonight! ...hard to believe it wasn't much more than a year ago that I was finding VG copies for 25$ still.  Glad I got my 6.5 before this auction, Baker non romance continues to soar.

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dapproved%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1325619&id=1325619&itemType=0

Approved12cgc65.jpg

4 minutes ago, szav said:

Speaking of Baker non romance on CLink tonight! ...hard to believe it wasn't much more than a year ago that I was finding VG copies for 25$ still.  Glad I got my 6.5 before this auction, Baker non romance continues to soar.

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dapproved%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1325619&id=1325619&itemType=0

Hey... I thought CGC had stopped regarding Circle 8 as a legit pedigree?  They changed their minds again, or what?  

On 7/21/2019 at 7:33 PM, 29dukedog said:

Also finally picked up this issue, on eBay, for about $200. less than a lower grade copy recently sold for here on the boards...  

PictorialRomances19_2019aa.jpg

Dang! $200 for that copy is a real score.  Congrats!

On 7/23/2019 at 1:14 AM, 29dukedog said:

...and a big part of why I initially passed on the 6th St. PR 19:  It was first offered along with the PR 21, 23, and 24, and at that time my comic budget only allowed me one of those books... and that was a no-brainer:  

PictorialRomances21_6st_pb.jpg

The look on her face really makes you want to know the rest of the story.