• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,558 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Daniel Boshell said:

Where is all the Baker original art? There’s not much out there for sale. Is it all tied up in collections?

Most everything that’s really great stays (mostly) tied up in collections for long periods of time. The market for most things at any time is just a snapshot of what really exists...

Hence the excitement when someone with a nice collection finally makes it available.

GA art in general isn’t exactly super common when compared to SA or latter art.

7 hours ago, Daniel Boshell said:

I found several pages on Anthony’s site but there’s no romance stuff. I was looking for a Phantom Lady or TAR page.

Phantom Lady pgs don’t exist they presume destroyed and St John pgs do exist but very few.

good luck on your hunt.

8 minutes ago, kat123 said:

Phantom Lady pgs don’t exist they presume destroyed and St John pgs do exist but very few.

good luck on your hunt.

I though most of the St. John stuff was destroyed in a fire then a basement flood... I think another boardie recounted the incidents previously.

Why is the phantom lady stuff presumed destroyed? It seems likely ... can’t recall seeing much if any Fox Feature Syndicate OA.

Seems like the most realistic option for someone hunting for Baker OA would be flamingo strips or FH/Iger shop interior pages.

Yeah, I’m not sure I’d say nothing of them exist still without talking to some OA collectors. I thought some did but I may be incorrect. Phantom Lady was being collected even before the Baker stuff was becoming more well known to collectors. The SOTI ties, etc. helped that title along by the 1970’s if not even earlier.

I have seen the Ajax run OA up at auction including I think a couple of the covers.

But yeah, most stuff only exists in small amounts at best.

Edited by N e r V

3 hours ago, szav said:

I though most of the St. John stuff was destroyed in a fire then a basement flood... I think another boardie recounted the incidents previously.

Why is the phantom lady stuff presumed destroyed? It seems likely ... can’t recall seeing much if any Fox Feature Syndicate OA.

Seems like the most realistic option for someone hunting for Baker OA would be flamingo strips or FH/Iger shop interior pages.

No phantom lady pgs have surfaced and old OA collectors also mention they probably were destroyed while on the printing process. Hopefully some escape and sitting someone’s basement waiting to be rediscover just like the  St. John pgs.

Edited by kat123

3 minutes ago, kat123 said:

No phantom lady pgs have surfaced and old OA collectors also mention they probably were destroyed while on the printing process. Hopefully some escape and sitting someone’s basement waiting to be rediscover just like the  St. John pgs.

I only left it open since collecting OA was never my top priority but I started buying the OA I do own around 1976 or so (cheaply) and have only let a few pieces escape over the years. It’s the one thing when you let go it’s probably gone for good unlike comics. It seems really hard in the art field to determine what’s out there now unless it’s for sale or you’re one of the few willing to post/share online. You can have a loose theory on how much of a certain GA book might exist still but figuring out what one of a kind GA art still exists seems like it would be kind of mind blowing...

4 hours ago, szav said:

There are a few St John romance pages reproduced in The Art of Glamour book. Iirc, those pages are owned by Baker's family. I got the impression that only a few pages have survived. 

8 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Been a while (work, work, work, work, work, work and, also, work). Some of you probably saw the raw Bakers on eBay a month or two ago. Some real red flags -- why not get these books graded first? why a private auction? -- but a veteran seller, so I thought I'd roll the dice. Ended up winning only the GS 10. Offered as an 8.0, but he was clearly overgrading, so I expected lower.

Quite happy with how it turned out. With an auction like that, you can hear a PLOD beating its wings in the distance. Luckily, it turned out to just be the wind.

2062002-001F.JPG

Score...(thumbsu

53 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Been a while (work, work, work, work, work, work and, also, work). Some of you probably saw the raw Bakers on eBay a month or two ago. Some real red flags -- why not get these books graded first? why a private auction? -- but a veteran seller, so I thought I'd roll the dice. Ended up winning only the GS 10. Offered as an 8.0, but he was clearly overgrading, so I expected lower.

Quite happy with how it turned out. With an auction like that, you can hear a PLOD beating its wings in the distance. Luckily, it turned out to just be the wind.

2062002-001F.JPG

Bee-yew-ti-ful :headbang:

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

2062002-001F.JPG

One of my favs

3 minutes ago, sagii said:

Highest graded GCE12 ending tonight. 

:popcorn:

No idea where it will end, although it seems headed north of $20K. If not for the pq, $30K wouldn't shock me. I'm not sure we'll see another copy with a grade this high. 

Edited by Sqeggs
Typo

1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:

No idea where it will end, although it seems headed north of $20K. If not for the pq, $30K wouldn't shock me. I'm not sure we'll see another a copy with a grade this high. 

I agree. But it seems if not for the PQ, you feel 30k would be an attainable price for highest graded of this book?

Ok, metaphorical 'bomb throw time': So, if you are of the mind PL17 IS (at least in part) a Baker work, has it retained it's status as the Baker book?

Could the next contenders Highest graded copies (SS4, CL25, GEC12) get bid up to what the highest graded PL17 is at now (never mind hammer) if they came to market on CC?

5 minutes ago, sagii said:

I agree. But it seems if not for the PQ, you feel 30k would be an attainable price for highest graded of this book?

Ok, metaphorical 'bomb throw time': So, if you are of the mind PL17 IS (at least in part) a Baker work, has it retained it's status as the Baker book?

Could the next contenders Highest graded copies (SS4, CL25, GEC12) get bid up to what the highest graded PL17 is at now (never mind hammer) if they came to market on CC?

I'm in that small minority who's never liked PL 17, so it's hard to clear that prejudice out of my mind. Is a 9.4 CL 25 a $100K book (assuming the PL 17 gets that high)? I'd like to think so, but I guess I kind of doubt it. 

4 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I'm in that small minority who's never liked PL 17, so it's hard to clear that prejudice out of my mind. Is a 9.4 CL 25 a $100K book (assuming the PL 17 gets that high)? I'd like to think so, but I guess I kind of doubt it. 

My experience is that "sexy" is a bigger draw than "lovely".  Given the same grade and scarcity, I don't see CL 25 matching PL 17.

5 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Yeah, maybe not 'today', but ...eventually..