• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,558 posts in this topic

Orson Welles' last movie, F is for Fake, dealt with renowned forger Elmyr de Hory, who died in 1976. He imitated everyone. They say that a huge number of works hanging in the world's art galleries are indeed fakes, and if the truth were known reputations would collapse everywhere, along with bank accounts.

On 7/11/2020 at 3:48 PM, Ryan. said:

Before anyone freaks out, MCS does tend to catch those mistakes before fulfilling the order. 

@mycomicshop

Cinderella Love 25 was a typo. Our system pricing was correct but the pricer manually entered a number and missed a digit. We've added a safeguard to prevent that from happening.

6 hours ago, manetteska said:

In any of the books on Baker, or via anecdotes, is there any history given behind the Cinderella Love 25 cover?

@JvR11 had some interesting ideas about the origin (which is MANY pages back in this thread).  I recall discussion of it being a Rita Hayworth swipe/tribute.

Hayworth, Rita (Loves of Carmen, The).jpg

16 minutes ago, Yorick said:
6 hours ago, manetteska said:

In any of the books on Baker, or via anecdotes, is there any history given behind the Cinderella Love 25 cover?

@JvR11 had some interesting ideas about the origin (which is MANY pages back in this thread).  I recall discussion of it being a Rita Hayworth swipe/tribute.

Thanks. I found something rather interesting (to me) but didn't know if there was already a story behind the CL 25 cover. Guess I will have to plunk down the cash to check it out.

On 7/15/2020 at 3:52 PM, Ricksneatstuff said:

In a pulp discussion group I am in someone showed this Greek magazine that pre-dates Cinderella Love 25 by 5 plus years and clearly shows where Baker got his inspiration.  

I don’t know much more than that regarding this.

89F791B2-81A6-476C-AA33-B4AD990B4EE2.jpeg

Looks like I need to start collecting Greek magazines now.

1 hour ago, szav said:

Looks like I need to start collecting Greek magazines now.

Well, the good news is that it only cost $10!!!  Sold just last month.

On 7/13/2020 at 4:21 PM, Dr. Love said:

No, it's not Baker.  Neither pencils nor inks. 

JVJ doesn't always have it right, in my opinion.  He calls some things Baker, and I don't see it.  But if he doesn't call it at all...it aint there.  And I agree - so there's that!

Add to that the real kicker...this OA came from CC.  If even Fishler won't list it as Baker, you can bet your bottom dollar and everything else you own - it's not Baker.  As if he's going to leave Baker $ sitting on the table.

So here's the deal on this whole GCD credit.  CC puts the page up for sale on 4/15/20, Mike Burkey thinks he can get some rube action going, buys it for $175, goes into GCD as an indexer, changes the database from no attribution for this story to...guess who?  MAtt Baker! on 5/15/20, then puts it on his site for sale at $3000. 

What a bunch of nonsense.  But if you really think this page is Baker, why there are seven awesome pages available for Love and Marriage #11, same hand(s) as #13, on CC right now for $150 or so each.  You too can play flip the Baker!

image.thumb.png.4ac9ef00eaca18670acf2ad8c0de15bc.png  image.thumb.png.ee875d9cc8d77562be74c01322509c6c.png

Great detective work, Andy.

I keep hearing about all the egregious shenanigans that occur in the OA world, guys like Mike Burkey seem to typify the complete lack of ethics among some individual dealers.