• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kinda OT- Comics read by the those fighting the war.

12 posts in this topic

I was not sure where to post this, but it was such a neat story that I had to share it with somebody

My neighbor across the alley(Dale) stormed the beach at Normandy. His wife died this winter, he is alone so we have gone for many visits to check in on him in recent months. And while he does not like to discuss the War, we have many times because he can see I respect it(him) and sincerely want to hear his stories.

Today I asked him if he remembered comic books . What were his memories, did he read them?.. were they aware of the affect comic books tried to make on their behalf.

He lit up!

His memory was fuzzy , and my math skills are terrible (i.e...I will leave it to you blokes to figure out what issues he might be talking about) but he said he remembered comics well. A guy in his unit(or some unit I am not clear) would get care packages every so often and among the items were stacks of comics. He said the guys ate them up, it reminded them of home as much as a pin up or a candy bar. He said they would get a laugh and a diversion at watching the heroes blast the nazis, or japs.

This really hit home with me. How many other stories are out there? Is it worth the time to interview him and others who are perhaps sitting in retirement homes and ask them their memories about comics growing up? Does anyone else care to hear them?

Or am I just a sentimental sap. :blush:

My grandfather never dug the comics, but he thought Bill Mauldin was the greatest and always talked about how much the guys over there enjoyed his cartoons. I'm definitely interested hearing what these heroes got a kick out of reading.

WJGen.jpg

Perhaps they should ask war veterans about THEIR war stories and make them into modern war comics hm

Very few Combat veterans will talk to non-vets about their combat experiances.The majority of the time that you find someone talking about combat,either they are a total fraud or spent the war in Fort Dix.

Perhaps they should ask war veterans about THEIR war stories and make them into modern war comics hm

Very few Combat veterans will talk to non-vets about their combat experiances.The majority of the time that you find someone talking about combat,either they are a total fraud or spent the war in Fort Dix.

My grandfather never talked about it. None of us (my mom, aunt, no one) even knew he got the purple heart until after he died early this year. He requested in his will to be buried with honors and that's when we found out.

I've been to a lot of funerals and a military honors funeral (my mother was presented with the flag "on behalf of a grateful nation") was the most moving service I've ever been privileged to attend. It really brought home just how huge a sacrifice that generation made to preserve our freedoms.

Because of that experience I have a much greater appreciation for the men and women who have served, and are currently serving in our armed forces.

My neighbor on the back alley served during WW2 on a Canadian Destroyer. He must be 80 years old but still going strong. He has invited me over several times to talk and show me pictures of the war. I would imagine a lot depends on the type of combat a veteran saw and the type of person the vet is. Some people will want to talk about traumatic experiences to unburden themselves, others would rather try to never think about the experience again.

Life would be a whole lot different if these guys didn't put themselves in harms way.

Very true.

My grandfather spoke to me about his experiences in the Navy off the coast of Italy on a DMS (Destroy Mine Sweeper)--not a great job to have; in addition to shuttling troops into the D-Day Invasion. He told me that he hadn't spoken to any of his kids of grandkids about it because I was the only one (aside from my uncle) who had been in war. My wife's grandfather only spoke about his part in the liberation of the nazi concentration camps once or twice, and I felt pretty honored he did so with me there.

Kenny, I think talking about the comics in general would be fine, and if they bring up how these books were a part of their deployments, then that's cool... I just know my personal preference is to not talk about my experiences, and always assume it's the same with others' war stories. But, I'm sure it's not something you would take lightly. :)

Hey Forrest, to be honest with you it was more Ellen then me who got Dale to open up. Awhile ago my wife did a piece on Memorial day about local Vets, and when she went to take his photo(because she knew he was not one to talk about his experience) she was unprepared for what happened. There was Ellen our daughter on his lap, lollypop in mouth and Dale just opened up and poured out his War story. Greta was not ready, nor prepared to get it all on paper.

His wife was behind him and Greta said it was the first time she had heard most of it. I will try and find a link to the story she wrote. It's worth reading.

So now I just go outside whenever I see him tinkering with his tomatoes and let him talk about what he wants to talk about. Ever since that day he opened up it seems like he does not mind talking about it, or our company.