• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lobo (Dell) OA

10 posts in this topic

somewhere around here I amp retty sure have the original art for all of Lobo #2(Dell) (not the cover though I think). this is actually kindah historically significant in that it was the first black lead character in a comic to get his/her own series. didn't last long, but predated luke cage by a bunch of years. I'm guessing that the black-oriented comics in the 40s or 50s didn't have the same lead character and the didn't have a series, etc.

any sense of what this might be worth? i was thinking several grand. As just old OA, perhaps not a vast amount, but given its "first" status (albeit the second issue of the series...) I think there's an angle to it.....if only i had the OA to #1

heh heh.. When it said Lobo (Dell) I was thinking John Dell, who I believed inked the DC Lobo series (pencilled by Semeiks).. heh heh

STEP AWAY FROM THE COMIC BOOKS.

ITS TIME TO GO OUTSIDE..

THERE ARE SOME NICE MEN IN WHITE COATS WITH A JACKET FOR YOU

somewhere around here I amp retty sure have the original art for all of Lobo #2(Dell) (not the cover though I think). this is actually kindah historically significant in that it was the first black lead character in a comic to get his/her own series. didn't last long, but predated luke cage by a bunch of years. I'm guessing that the black-oriented comics in the 40s or 50s didn't have the same lead character and the didn't have a series, etc.

any sense of what this might be worth? i was thinking several grand. As just old OA, perhaps not a vast amount, but given its "first" status (albeit the second issue of the series...) I think there's an angle to it.....if only i had the OA to #1

2hpowmc.jpg

Perhaps it didn't last long because it wasn't very good. (shrug)

I had a look at the cover image on GCD and wasn't too impressed with the drawing.

Can't really see contents being worth very much, if the cover's anything to go by.

Can you post a few example scans?

Perhaps it didn't last long because it wasn't very good. (shrug)

I had a look at the cover image on GCD and wasn't too impressed with the drawing.

Can't really see contents being worth very much, if the cover's anything to go by.

Can you post a few example scans?

Tallarico in a 2006 interview said that he and Dell writer D.J. Arneson co-created the character based on an idea and a plot by Tallarico, with Arneson scripting it.

“ I had an idea for Lobo. And I approached D.J. Arneson and he brought it in and showed it to [Dell editor-in-chief] Helen Meyer. ... She loved it. She really wanted to do it. Great, so we did it. We did the first issue. And in comics, you start the second issue as they're printing the first one, due to time limitations. ... All of the sudden, they stopped the wagon. They stopped production on the issue. They discovered that as they were sending out bundles of comics out to the distributors [that] they were being returned unopened. And I couldn't figure out why. So they sniffed around, scouted around and discovered [that many sellers]] were opposed to Lobo, who was the first black Western hero. That was the end of the book. It sold nothing. They printed 200,000; that was the going print-rate. They sold, oh, 10-15 thousand.[1]

yeah, i was thinking of the value being more in the historical aspect and interesting back story, not that it is a stunning piece of artistic achievment. It's mid-60's Dell art...it is what it is (though the insides look a little better than that cover), that alone makes it worth $25-75 a page, maybe. I started the post when I thought I had #1 and then I checked my records and realized I had the art to #2, but figured I might as well post anyway. The story behind the series (and its demise) is interesting. If you read the letters section in FF 54 or 55 or so you'll remember how much of this country had no problem being out in the public (and attaching their name to a letter that would be in a letters page forever) about their apprehension about a black lead character in a comic (I guess the occasional member of a cast like Jones in Sgt. Fury was not so objectionable). OTOH, Jim Brown (not to mention Sidney Poitier) managed to star in a bunch of big budget movies.