• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

comic preservation

9 posts in this topic

I am new here on your boards. I am a novice comic collector and I have been searching the web for some answers to some questions. Figured I would try here.

I have some questions about the best way to store your comics. I have read conflicting reports as to the longevity of mylar vs. poly bags. Do mylar bags last indefinately or do you have to change the bags every 7-10 years as you do the poly bags?

Currently I am replacing my poly bags with 2 mil mylars with the E Gerber Fullbacks for boards. And does anyone use micro chamber sheets to preserve your more valuable comics?

Besides sealing yoru comics in a CGC container, whats the best way to preserve your comics?

Bill

For most of your collection, mylar bags will serve you just fine. With more expensive books, you might want to consider putting a bag inside of another bag to keep out even more air.

Temperature and humidity are your other concerns. If you can keep the books in a nice stable climate, that will help them last the longest.

After investing all that money, then realize the greatest comic book finds - Mile High and Gaines - kept books wrapped in paper and piled one on top of another.

Welcome to the boards.

By the way, the posts that follow this one will be from people wiser and with more comics than me, so if they disagree you should be listening to them.

I'm also curious...does doubling up on Mylars really make a difference? I've heard that you want a little air to get into the comics and not to make them air tight...wonder?

There are people who just use the Mylars without the flip over lip that have the top exposed?

I have books that I consider part of my "collection". These books are the ones that I am planning on keeping and all others are available for sale and kept differently. For books in my collection, I have two sheets of microchamber paper, one for the inside front cover and one for the inside back cover. The book is then placed on a full-back acid free board and put inside a mylite2. This works well for me, but different strokes for different folks. I've seen some put the comic into a mylite, then with a board behind the comic and outside of the mylite, slid into a sturdy mylar with the top open. Whatever you like and whatever you can afford. My 2c

Also, welcome to the boards!!! :applause:

Andy

Thanks for all the input. I had not thought of doubling the sleeves. One thing I did not see mentioned is whether or not you need to change the mylars after so many years. The merchants that sell the mylars say they last indefinately. Is this true does anyone know? I have read in other places that you still need to change the mylars.

Also, has anyone heard of Desiccant Canisters? You put them in your boxes and they absorb moisture. Anyone use these?

lol, sorry about all the questions, just want to know what works for serious collectors.

Bill

Thanks for all the input. I had not thought of doubling the sleeves. One thing I did not see mentioned is whether or not you need to change the mylars after so many years. The merchants that sell the mylars say they last indefinately. Is this true does anyone know? I have read in other places that you still need to change the mylars.

Also, has anyone heard of Desiccant Canisters? You put them in your boxes and they absorb moisture. Anyone use these?

lol, sorry about all the questions, just want to know what works for serious collectors.

Bill

Mylars should not need to be replaced. They don't give off or absorb the chemicals/acids. The microchamber paper, if you choose to use it, should be changed out every seven years - or 3,000 miles - whichever comes first.