• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A little help please.. Resto questions.

4 posts in this topic

Okay, I am here for input. I am not a fan of restoration, BUT with GA I cant afford to be picky. I have been buying low grade books (mostly 2.0-2.5's) off of Ebay and through a few members of the boards. I was wondering about a few things.

Cover re-inforcement. What kind of resto is this considered ? I have a detective that the cover is popped off, and would like to have it re-attatched.

Pieces added. Bought the All-Flash off of ebay. Big chunk missing from the bottom. Can this even be fixed ?

How do I get pricing ?

And contact info. I am not trying to make these books into stunning examples. Just want them to be solid.

And of the different types of work to be done, which will effect the book most in the long run ?

And I really hate replaced staples...

I was going to put this in the GA section. But figured it belonged here.

Okay, I am here for input. I am not a fan of restoration, BUT with GA I cant afford to be picky. I have been buying low grade books (mostly 2.0-2.5's) off of Ebay and through a few members of the boards. I was wondering about a few things.

Cover re-inforcement. What kind of resto is this considered ? I have a detective that the cover is popped off, and would like to have it re-attatched.

While the term can apply to several types of reinforcement, it mainly has to do with the application of Japan paper to the interior of the cover over the torn or worn areas of the spine. In the case of your book it would be applied(glue layed down and then paper applied over the damaged staple areas and alowed to dry. Depending on how worn the area is it might require several layers.

Pieces added. Bought the All-Flash off of ebay. Big chunk missing from the bottom. Can this even be fixed ? Yeah, again it involves applying japan paper in various thickness to match the thickness of the coverstock, and then trimmed to match the original edge. And of course Color touch added if desired.

How do I get pricing ? You can find a variety of people if you google Comic book restoration. I of course would reccommend Matt Nelson/Classics Inc. but Susan Cicconi. or Tracey Heft among others can offer specific breakdowns on pricing as well.

And contact info. I am not trying to make these books into stunning examples. Just want them to be solid.

And of the different types of work to be done, which will effect the book most in the long run ? Do you mean price wise, or the longevity of the book? Pieces added and Color touch will most affect the overall grade when talking about acheived grade for the work done, but it will also affect peoples opinion of the book as well. Some people dont mind mending a book as opposed to full blown restoring it. Most key books you see restored are almost always fully restored, lesser valued books do not justify the cost of restoring them and many times are improved with minimal work, especially if your main goal is to just be able to handle them safely again..

And I really hate replaced staples... Understandable, but if the book is already being worked on and they are rusted, or even starting to rust it really isn't that big a deal imho as long as they are swaped out with same era or "vintage" staples.

I was going to put this in the GA section. But figured it belonged here.