• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

Well, ladies and gentlemen, those tempted to part with your low grade copies, here's some more encouraging news: last night on ebay a CGC 2.5 (CRM/OW) sold for...

$3.951.01

:whatthe::whatthe::whatthe:

I saw that auction as well, although I'm not sure what to make of it, the bidder who won (fishyscent) only has 5 other items they have bid on, and none of those were comic books, plus at the bottom it looks like one bidder wished to withdrawl his bid amount, maybe he felt like he was being shilled up, something seems a little "fishy" to me. but I could be wrong as well.

:think: Maybe there's something to it. I was just writing it off to the seemingly unending increase on AF #15s--whatever the grade.

The piece out of the cover is a bummer, but it's a solid copy otherwise. I keep it in a Mylite2 with an acid free board, inside a 4mil Mylar. This one and ASM #2 and #3 were the last I needed to fill in the back issues. I felt as if I had conquered the world when I got them.

AmazingFantasy15.jpg

I bought this in 1977, by the way.

Do you mind sharing how much you paid?

Well, ladies and gentlemen, those tempted to part with your low grade copies, here's some more encouraging news: last night on ebay a CGC 2.5 (CRM/OW) sold for...

$3.951.01

:whatthe::whatthe::whatthe:

I saw that auction as well, although I'm not sure what to make of it, the bidder who won (fishyscent) only has 5 other items they have bid on, and none of those were comic books, plus at the bottom it looks like one bidder wished to withdrawl his bid amount, maybe he felt like he was being shilled up, something seems a little "fishy" to me. but I could be wrong as well.

:think: Maybe there's something to it. I was just writing it off to the seemingly unending increase on AF #15s--whatever the grade.

yes, AF15 is definitely on an upswing right now, but I thought the $3,951 price was a little too crazy for a 2.5 when you could have a 3.0 or 3.5 for around that price.

will be interesting to see what this fair/good raw copy ends up at.

i got this copy about 3 years ago right before it latest surge in value. bought it on ebay from a UK seller and used ebay escrow for payment. solid book with nice pages. spine wear and soiling on BC are its only real defects!

AF15FC1.jpg

I guess I belong in the club with my copy that I picked up with a large collection.

No plan on selling it right now, but every now and then the thought crosses my mind, and I quickly erase it.

It screams Silver Age here I come.

Always happy to share it. :acclaim:

Well, if that thought sticks, you know who to call (thumbs u

i got this copy about 3 years ago right before it latest surge in value. bought it on ebay from a UK seller and used ebay escrow for payment. solid book with nice pages. spine wear and soiling on BC are its only real defects!

AF15FC1.jpg

that is a very sweet copy !

Here's my entry...

AF15CGC60FC.jpg

I picked up my copy from r1970d back in March. It turns out this book has been owned by at least one other board member over the years. dem1138 shared this story in Roy's sales thread shortly after I purchased the book:

That AF #15 used to be MINE!

Roy, how ironic that you are now selling it (Roy owned another book of mine in the past).

Here's a little history on that book. That copy was purchased raw from a lot at one of those old Sotheby's Auctions that we all wish that we could go back in time to. The guy had it slabbed long after he bought it when he was ready to sell it. It sat in his collection for years though.

When he was ready to sell it, he put it up on eBay and got lots of offers, I guess because I could meet him in person, he chose me. I live in Manhattan, and I had to take a train out to one of the borroughs (it was far) and I met him on a park bench under the subway. I gave him a bank check and he gave me the book in a paper bag (it must have appeared like a shady drug deal -- it sure felt like one). I was the very proud owner of that book (and an 8.0 ASM #1 and a 9.2 DD #7) - those books are all long gone now. I started buying original art instead.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed hearing a little history on that "Amazing" book and I hope the book finds another happy home!

After reading dem1138's story, I've often thought it might be a neat project to try and track the book backwards through it's previous owners. I'd be curious to know how many times this book has changed hands, how much it sold for each time, and any other interesting "shady drug deal" stories...

(thumbs u

AF15FC1.jpg

That's a nice one!

The piece out of the cover is a bummer, but it's a solid copy otherwise. I keep it in a Mylite2 with an acid free board, inside a 4mil Mylar. This one and ASM #2 and #3 were the last I needed to fill in the back issues. I felt as if I had conquered the world when I got them.

I paid $100 for it. I think that was a bit high at the time, probably above OSPG, and price-relative-to-grade was a lot looser then. I think back then, dealers typically looked at the Overstreet value but then added some increment onto that. Anyway, there really weren't that many to choose from at the convention and I think the other ones I saw were around $250. $250 was my entire budget for that show and I also needed ASM #2 & #3 plus a few other things, so this copy seemed like the right one. I'm still happy with it.

Here's my entry...

I picked up my copy from r1970d back in March. It turns out this book has been owned by at least one other board member over the years. dem1138 shared this story in Roy's sales thread shortly after I purchased the book:

That AF #15 used to be MINE!

Roy, how ironic that you are now selling it (Roy owned another book of mine in the past).

Here's a little history on that book. That copy was purchased raw from a lot at one of those old Sotheby's Auctions that we all wish that we could go back in time to. The guy had it slabbed long after he bought it when he was ready to sell it. It sat in his collection for years though.

When he was ready to sell it, he put it up on eBay and got lots of offers, I guess because I could meet him in person, he chose me. I live in Manhattan, and I had to take a train out to one of the borroughs (it was far) and I met him on a park bench under the subway. I gave him a bank check and he gave me the book in a paper bag (it must have appeared like a shady drug deal -- it sure felt like one). I was the very proud owner of that book (and an 8.0 ASM #1 and a 9.2 DD #7) - those books are all long gone now. I started buying original art instead.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed hearing a little history on that "Amazing" book and I hope the book finds another happy home!

After reading dem1138's story, I've often thought it might be a neat project to try and track the book backwards through it's previous owners. I'd be curious to know how many times this book has changed hands, how much it sold for each time, and any other interesting "shady drug deal" stories...

(thumbs u

Now that's what I'm talking about! Great Story and thanks for sharing. Keep them coming!

I paid $100 for it. I think that was a bit high at the time, probably above OSPG, and price-relative-to-grade was a lot looser then. I think back then, dealers typically looked at the Overstreet value but then added some increment onto that. Anyway, there really weren't that many to choose from at the convention and I think the other ones I saw were around $250. $250 was my entire budget for that show and I also needed ASM #2 & #3 plus a few other things, so this copy seemed like the right one. I'm still happy with it.

Just for fun I pulled out my 1977 price guide. AF #15 was listed at $85-170-255 in Good-Fine-Mint, respectively, so I guess I paid about a G+ price. The $250 copy I didn't go for was not a NM, I'm pretty sure of that.

$100. Not too shabby. :baiting: So the book was 15 years old when you bought it; now, it's 46 years old! Not quite original owner, but not terribly far off. But then again, who knows how many had it between it first being bought and you snagging it. Thanks for sharing the story.

I bought mine about two months ago, but I've only had it in my hands for 12 days now as I had it hand delivered in Chicago.

MyAF15.jpg

It's a lowly PLOD but I am very happy with it and look to keep it for the long haul or at least until the White Mountain shows up for sale again :) . As excited as I am to finally own my own copy, I think I'm just as excited in the fact that I never have to do an Ebay or ComicLink search for one ever again. Woohoo. This was also the book that completed my mini run of the "Big 3" from Marvel. When I was a teen I couldn't have imagined that I'd own one, never mind all three (ASM #1, FF #1, and AF#15). It's amazing how perspective changes as we grow older. :)

Jim

Oh I guess there is a better story that goes with this book. It came from the Rich Kylberg collection that Heritage recently auctioned off. When Mr. Kylberg came into some disposable income the only book he wanted was the nicest AF #15 he could find. He bought this copy from David Anderson and I guess became hooked as he put together a collection of all the 1st appearances of every major superhero ever.

Jim

I bought mine about two months ago, but I've only had it in my hands for 12 days now as I had it hand delivered in Chicago.

MyAF15.jpg

It's a lowly PLOD but I am very happy with it and look to keep it for the long haul or at least until the White Mountain shows up for sale again :) . As excited as I am to finally own my own copy, I think I'm just as excited in the fact that I never have to do an Ebay or ComicLink search for one ever again. Woohoo. This was also the book that completed my mini run of the "Big 3" from Marvel. When I was a teen I couldn't have imagined that I'd own one, never mind all three (ASM #1, FF #1, and AF#15). It's amazing how perspective changes as we grow older. :)

Jim

Oh I guess there is a better story that goes with this book. It came from the Rich Kylberg collection that Heritage recently auctioned off. When Mr. Kylberg came into some disposable income the only book he wanted was the nicest AF #15 he could find. He bought this copy from David Anderson and I guess became hooked as he put together a collection of all the 1st appearances of every major superhero ever.

Jim

Incredible issue. So much for judging purple labels. :doh: A serious keeper.

What condition are your FF #1 and ASM #1? Raw? Slabbed?

Ok, I few fun facts from the CGC census for Amazing Fantasy # 15.

Total Graded US copies: 1051

Total Percent of those that are Restored: 33%

Best Graded Copy: one in 9.6

and at the low end: fifteen copies in .5

There are also 12 UK copies. Anyone got one of these to post?

Hey thanks,

I was looking for that but CGC must have changed their sight up since I last looked up some numbers, I had to create an account or something but my internet has been questionable. Anyhow, I wouldn't mind a UK copy of AF15, just how do they run price wise vs the American version?

Well I just recently joined the AF15 club a few days ago. I bought probaly one of the lowest AF15s on record but I'm happy I was able to pick up a cop :cloud9:.

The book is slabed an will either be placed in my CGC box or above my shop/office desk once it gets home.

AF15.jpg

I was very tempted to bid on this book last week. Might I ask how much your maximum was?

Ok, I few fun facts from the CGC census for Amazing Fantasy # 15.

Total Graded US copies: 1051

Total Percent of those that are Restored: 33%

Best Graded Copy: one in 9.6

and at the low end: fifteen copies in .5

There are also 12 UK copies. Anyone got one of these to post?

Hey thanks,

I was looking for that but CGC must have changed their sight up since I last looked up some numbers, I had to create an account or something but my internet has been questionable. Anyhow, I wouldn't mind a UK copy of AF15, just how do they run price wise vs the American version?

Presently, a 1.5 FR/GD US version runs at $1600 by GPA and Metro has a copy in the same grade priced (rather aggressively, I believe) at $1500. My understanding was UK pence comics usually go for about 1/2 or so of the US counterparts, though keys are usually an exception. Still... it's an AF 15, so I guess the one rule is that all bets are off. :shrug:

I've mentioned this before, but my sob story goes like this: I once owned an AF #15, a pence copy, but sold it back in 1992 when I read in an Overstreet update that British copies would typically fetch 1/3 the U.S. value. I knew it was an obvious key at the time, yet I sold it for either $150 or $200. It was either a FR or PR/FR, but still....:doh: Man, I wish I still had it. :frown: I spent the money on booze and cannabis. And what do I have to show now? :sorry: That's a good lesson, kids: don't become a Joe 6-pack or reefer rugrat. There's no tellin' what you might do.

I've mentioned this before, but my sob story goes like this: I once owned an AF #15, a pence copy, but sold it back in 1992 when I read in an Overstreet update that British copies would typically fetch 1/3 the U.S. value. I knew it was an obvious key at the time, yet I sold it for either $150 or $200. It was either a FR or PR/FR, but still....:doh: Man, I wish I still had it. :frown: I spent the money on booze and cannabis. And what do I have to show now? :sorry: That's a good lesson, kids: don't become a Joe 6-pack or reefer rugrat. There's no tellin' what you might do.

:roflmao: ......... :roflmao: ............................................................... :(:(