• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

I hate exclusive clubs :mad:

*Stomping off to continue packing for vacation*

It's not exclusive as in you can't ever join. As a matter of fact, we want you to join. :foryou:

:gossip: Send money so you'll be an enabler. Everyone needs an enabler in their life. :kidaround:

Hey all,

I don't usually chime in Marvel hero threads, though I'll give full props to AF #15... truly a classic book.

As far as rarity/scarcity of this book goes, I know this one's a toughie, but I thought more boardies would have had them to post. Some years back (before CGC... maybe 1996) I saw a restored copy there for sale in Toronto that was just gorgeous. I think the ask was just over $1000... a steal by today's standards.

And I do know that in my hometown of St. John's, Newfoundland there is a collector who is totally off everyone's radar who has two copies of AF 15. I haven't seen the, but a buddy of mine has. The owner didn't pick them off the rack, but he got them both in the mid to late 1960s. Word is they are both FNs.

Nice to see all those copies of such a classic book!

Now if someone would only start an Our Army at War #83 club..... :jokealert:

Shep

I wanted to share my AF 15's that i've owned about 2-3 years ago. I have sold these books already to acquire my current pre-robin Tec run. Somewhere down the line, I may pursue another AF 15, and this time, it would be a keeper.

CGC 5.0 Blue cream-offwhite pages

Picture010-1.jpg

Picture026.jpg

CGC 6.5 with slight Prof. resto. (small amount of color touch on cover)

af15_front_top.jpg

It's not exclusive as in you can't ever join. As a matter of fact, we want you to join. :foryou:

:gossip: Send money so you'll be an enabler. Everyone needs an enabler in their life. :kidaround:

AF 15 was my last major comic purchase, I ran out of cash a long time ago.

I wanted to share my AF 15's that i've owned about 2-3 years ago. I have sold these books already to acquire my current pre-robin Tec run. Somewhere down the line, I may pursue another AF 15, and this time, it would be a keeper.

Um, either one of those would be a keeper in my book. Thanks for sharing both. :o

Um, either one of those would be a keeper in my book. Thanks for sharing both. :o

Wait, that's three different copies. Hoarder!!! :devil:

Nice, I would still take any of the three.

Wait, that's three different copies. Hoarder!!! :devil:

Nice, I would still take any of the three.

Yeah, those books are definitely keepers, but I transitioned into GA books. I actually didn't have all 3 books at the same time. I sold one, then buy a raw copy in hopes of an upgrade, but as you can see, I received another 5.0 from CGC. The last copy I owned was the CGC 6.5 one, which I paid for an unrestored price at that time or at least close to it. When I found out that the book had resto., I asked for a refund. Boy, wish I kept that copy now doh!

Ok, let's talk Marvel Chipping.

Yes, Amazing Fantasy #15 was prone to marvel chipping, as several copies posted here and mine as well demonstrate.

Was there a cutoff point in which the blade that was used to cut the books dulled?

ie were the books with chipping the last produced?

I guess that assumes a dull blade was the mechanism for the chipping.

Is that correct?

Ok, let's talk Marvel Chipping.

Yes, Amazing Fantasy #15 was prone to marvel chipping, as several copies posted here and mine as well demonstrate.

Was there a cutoff point in which the blade that was used to cut the books dulled?

ie were the books with chipping the last produced?

I guess that assumes a dull blade was the mechanism for the chipping.

Is that correct?

I am still new at this what is marvel chipping?

Hey all,

I don't usually chime in Marvel hero threads, though I'll give full props to AF #15... truly a classic book.

As far as rarity/scarcity of this book goes, I know this one's a toughie, but I thought more boardies would have had them to post.

Shep

Thanks for posting,

Personaly, I feel like you got people who are a little skeptical about posting pictures of their items. You just have so much crud going on here in cyber space. I'm a gun nut as well as a gear head and it's rare to see people posting pictures showing serial numbers or LIC plates. I heard of somoene who posted a firearm showing the serial number once and some punk reported it stolen to his insurence company. He got paid but the orginal owner had some cops inviting him down town for some questioning when he tried to transfer it to another person when it sold.

here's what Chromium explained me about Marvel chipping :)

"Marvel were a poor company in the beginning of the 60's, so they didn't have the cash to pay the printer to swap the blades that cut the comics when they came off the press.

If DC would swap the blade every 5000 comics or so, Marvel would do it only every 10.000 books, so the books that were last didn't get such a sharp cut, the blade "pulled" a little more on the edges, dragging and weakening them...so chipping occurred right at the moment for the last books in line, and another few 1000 were "timebombs" the fiber of the paper was weakened and would start to chip after a period of time..."

AF 15 was my last major comic purchase, I ran out of cash a long time ago.

:sorry:

here's what Chromium explained me about Marvel chipping :)

"Marvel were a poor company in the beginning of the 60's, so they didn't have the cash to pay the printer to swap the blades that cut the comics when they came off the press.

If DC would swap the blade every 5000 comics or so, Marvel would do it only every 10.000 books, so the books that were last didn't get such a sharp cut, the blade "pulled" a little more on the edges, dragging and weakening them...so chipping occurred right at the moment for the last books in line, and another few 1000 were "timebombs" the fiber of the paper was weakened and would start to chip after a period of time..."

thanks