• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

Very nice.....I had all of those...but have sold 6 out of the 21......guess I should have kept them, as they make a very nice photo opportunity. :applause:

Kinda funny really: I own 6/21 and one of those six books used to belong to you! :)

I got my copy 5 years ago at the Big Apple Comic Con. I'd grade it around a 3.0-4.0. I just shipped it out to PGX (yea yea I know) but regardless I'm excited and its my personal grail. I'll post up pics when I get the book back.

:-)

AF15-1.jpg

In Comics General, comicdey mentions that you and he, both, belong to the 6/12 club.

I like well placed arrival dates as I think it contributes to the historical "grounding" of the book. Cover dates are misleading as Marvel would have two different months for each calendar month release. To make things less intuitive, the cover dates do not even relate to the time of the month the books were published.

Release dates for Marvel titles in June 1962 :

June 5

Amazing Fantasy #15 Aug. (First Spider-man.)

Journey into Mystery #83 Aug. (First Thor.)

Tales to Astonish #35 Sept. (The return of Ant-Man.)

Life with Millie #18 Aug.

Patsy Walker #102 Aug.

Kathy #18 Sept.

June 12

Fantastic Four #6 Sept. (Monthly publication begins.)

Strange Tales #100 Sept. (The Human Torch will appear the following month.)

Tales of Suspense #33 Sept.

Kid Colt Outlaw #106 Sept.

Millie the Model #110 Sept.

Linda Carter, Student Nurse #7 Sept. (This will be cancelled with issue #9 and be replaced on the schedule with Amazing Spider-Man #1.)

One great month for comic collecting.

This release data comes from Marvel Comics Group 1939 to 1980. This is an excellent site and highly accurate. I believe that I have only found one error up to now...

You might have noticed that AF#15 is listed as being published on June 5th not the 12th. I wonder if any board members have a copy of the comic with a 6/5 arrival date?

One great month for comic collecting.

This release data comes from Marvel Comics Group 1939 to 1980. This is an excellent site and highly accurate. I believe that I have only found one error up to now...

You might have noticed that AF#15 is listed as being published on June 5th not the 12th. I wonder if any board members have a copy of the comic with a 6/5 arrival date?

I guess what's the source of the published data? Is it not possible that AF #15 was published on 6/12 and not 6/5 as the site states?

The website has been around since 2003 and I don't believe it has been updated for quite some time. It also seems to be on a problematic server and is occasionally difficult to load.

I am almost willing to swear that the sources are from distribution documents from the period. However, I can no longer find this confirmation on the website. Faulty memory or confusion with another site?

I am tempted to agree that it looks like AF #15 came out on the 12th and not the 5th.

If someone has a copy with a delivery date of the 5th, then I would instead conclude that perhaps more remote delivery sites received their comic books once rather than twice a month.

Of course, the thought just hit me that books delivered to a vendor might not get dated until the owner or staff had time to put them on the shelves. This given, a date of 6/12 could just be a coincidence in that it matches a publication date for later that month.

Another scenario might be that vendors would wait until all the comics arrived for that month and put them all on the shelves dated the 12th. This would mean restocking once and not twice a month.

Additionally, it is possible that Independent News only picked up returns once a month and that it was a time saver to stock the new titles and remove the old at the same time?

Of course, the thought just hit me that books delivered to a vendor might not get dated until the owner or staff had time to put them on the shelves. This given, a date of 6/12 could just be a coincidence in that it matches a publication date for later that month.

Another scenario might be that vendors would wait until all the comics arrived for that month and put them all on the shelves dated the 12th. This would mean restocking once and not twice a month.

Additionally, it is possible that Independent News only picked up returns once a month and that it was a time saver to stock the new titles and remove the old at the same time?

Ok, I went through 101 copies listed on the Heritage Auctions Archives. Here are the results (I have left the format as listed on the book):

6/5

6-5

6/5

Jun 4 1962 (Date Stamp)

Jun 4 1962 (Date Stamp, the 1962 was blurred, so I'm assuming 1962)

and the one that really confused me was

5-31

Ok, I went through 101 copies listed on the Heritage Auctions Archives. Here are the results (I have left the format as listed on the book):

6/5

6-5

6/5

Jun 4 1962 (Date Stamp)

Jun 4 1962 (Date Stamp, the 1962 was blurred, so I'm assuming 1962)

and the one that really confused me was

5-31

It looks as if your evidence has confirmed 6/5. Any 6/4s were probably a store owner that forgot to change the date on the stamp (as is the 5/31).

6/12 are probably the result of one of my earlier suppositions.

Good work.

I have no set arrival for an AF 15 :sorry:

You and me both. I'm in no hurry though, as getting a nice copy of this and ASM #1 are the only goals left for me in this hobby.

I posted this on another topic tryingto find out how many copies might be left in existance. I read a few people saw around 2,000, now another with 3,000. Do you think the number left in existance is closer to the 2,000-3,000 range or more and if more by how much?

I'm not sure where that 2,000 number came from, but it seems like it might be a tad low to me. Amazing Fantasy #15 is a very common book. How many were printed initially? Around 200,000? I think that comic book collecting was catching on in 1962 and more people were starting to save them. It seems probable to me that more than 1% of them have survived. If only 3% of them have survived that would mean there are 6,000 copies out there.

I have been going to comic book conventions since 1983 and there are always multiple copies in the room. Some dealers always seem to have 5-10 copies on hand. There are always multiple copies listed on eBay.

I think the fact that over 1,000 copies have been slabbed is a good indicator. There seems to be a ton of Fair-Good copies out there that most people feel aren't worth slabbing. I was actually shopping for an Amazing Fantasy #15 at San Diego last month, in fact, that's where I bought the copy I posted above. I must have seen at least 30 copies there, and the vast majority of them were not slabbed.