• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

Let me give you my history with this book. I lost 14 times on ebay over the course of 2 years. I decided this Christmas that I was going to get one even if i had to overpay. I paid 5700 which at the time was either 700 or 800 over GPA. I felt a little ripped but with no marvel chipping I rested a little easier. with what has been going on lately, I'm very happy. A 4.5 sold in the 7k range a couple of weeks ago, with alot of marvel chipping.

Nice books ...sigh. I've started my grail AF15 fund but it is growing slower than the selling price.

Sell some books... :baiting:

Nice books ...sigh. I've started my grail AF15 fund but it is growing slower than the selling price.

Sell some books... :baiting:

Haven't really sold anything in 30 years. Think I may start. Working extra hours at work is going to take a long time.

You could start by selling to some local Edmontonians.... :baiting:

BTW - I saw a book up your alley on one of the various comic websites. It's a nice Captain Marvel Jr. Flag Cover in CGC 6.0.

whew.......I just read every page of this thread (its tuff being new).....some great books you all have. I wish I could say I was a member.....but alas.....I do not own a copy of AF15.....but, I have a story about one......

It was early in my comic collecting days.....around '71 or '72 and there was this used book store in Redondo Beach Calif.....callled Rudy's books. Well, he had tons of comics.....I mean boxes of em.....and he sold em.....by the date!! Yea.....he had this pricing scale....and he'd look up the date on the front inside cover and charge according to what year it was printed. Didn't matter what book it was.......all 1965 books were the same. All '64s were the same and so on.

So anyways, I was into Spiderman, and had bought many old ones from him.....for anywhere from 25 cents up to 1.50 apiece.....and one day while rumaging, I found an AF15 !!! Wow !!! I bought it.....it was one of the more expensive books cuz it was older than most I got there.....it was probably the full buck-fifty....BUT......

yea, but.......it had the top half of the cover ripped off ! I guess magazine dealers in those days would rip off the tops to get refunds for returns.....but not return the actual books.....just show proof of purchase or something. I can still remember it to this day......it was in really nice shape...except for the cover of course......and me, being young.....and foolish......I was soon disheartened by it and its ripped cover....and sold it to some guy for I think $12 or $15....which was still pretty good profit.

I've never owned once since.....

Sad isn't it.......

whew.......I just read every page of this thread (its tuff being new).....some great books you all have. I wish I could say I was a member.....but alas.....I do not own a copy of AF15.....but, I have a story about one......

It was early in my comic collecting days.....around '71 or '72 and there was this used book store in Redondo Beach Calif.....callled Rudy's books. Well, he had tons of comics.....I mean boxes of em.....and he sold em.....by the date!! Yea.....he had this pricing scale....and he'd look up the date on the front inside cover and charge according to what year it was printed. Didn't matter what book it was.......all 1965 books were the same. All '64s were the same and so on.

So anyways, I was into Spiderman, and had bought many old ones from him.....for anywhere from 25 cents up to 1.50 apiece.....and one day while rumaging, I found an AF15 !!! Wow !!! I bought it.....it was one of the more expensive books cuz it was older than most I got there.....it was probably the full buck-fifty....BUT......

yea, but.......it had the top half of the cover ripped off ! I guess magazine dealers in those days would rip off the tops to get refunds for returns.....but not return the actual books.....just show proof of purchase or something. I can still remember it to this day......it was in really nice shape...except for the cover of course......and me, being young.....and foolish......I was soon disheartened by it and its ripped cover....and sold it to some guy for I think $12 or $15....which was still pretty good profit.

Sad isn't it.......

Great story, thanks for sharing it. Never heard of anyone selling books based on the year it came out. Don't give up hope, maybe there's still an AF #15 out there with your name on it.

Sad isn't it.......

comicgrinder, who's always roaming around these parts, lives in Redondo Beach. And he was just selling some of his original owner Silver Age FFs...did he ever frequent this store? :think:

Sad isn't it.......

comicgrinder, who's always roaming around these parts, lives in Redondo Beach. And he was just selling some of his original owner Silver Age FFs...did he ever frequent this store? :think:

I dont exactly remember the name of the old comic shop I used to frequent....I just remember...it was on Aviation and close to Grant Ave next to a place called "SNAX" (shrug)

I dont exactly remember the name of the old comic shop I used to frequent....I just remember...it was on Aviation and close to Grant Ave next to a place called "SNAX" (shrug)

WOW !!! I just did a map quest to refresh my memory....AND THATS GOTTA BE THE SAME PLACE !! I remember the drive was up Prospect.....past Torrance Blvd.....past the Hospital near Beryl.....past Anita.....through some neighborhoods and to Aviation....then turn right and go down a few blocks.....and there it was on the left hand side! Its gotta be the same place. This was in the early 70's.....and I scored Spideys #7, 8, 9, 10, and a bunch of others. He had tons of other books that I wasn't "into". Oh how I wish I could go back in time ....lol.

I think later.....like maybe in the eighties .....Rudy was gone and the store had become a regular comic book store....selling new issues and all that. I'll bet thats the place grinder.

Hi All

my first post so please be gentle...

im not a member of this club but do a have tale to tell.

i live in the uk in middlesbrough. my dad was 17 in 1962 and used to visit a newsagents in the town because he had took a shine to the girl behind the counter. at the time he used to buy british war comics but that summer he kept noticing AF15 hung up by a peg near the counter. eventually he bought it, his first marvel, and the rest is in our family history.

(i would like to be able to say he asked the girl out and they married and that i was the product of this union brought on by AF15, but no).

my dad bought practically every marvel and dc up to the early 70's when they werent distributed here and we continued to buy them together when i was old enough to read in about 1976 when i was 4. my earliest comic memory is M2in1 #20.

in 1980 my parents split and short of cash my dad sold AF15 for £25 ($50 ish). the guy who bought them also "borrowed" 57 others silver age gems (inc 1-10 of the main releases after AF) and disappeared. back then though despite being a police officer my dad didnt follow this up. ive seen the list of "borrowed" comics and its heartbreaking.

i then sold the rest of the collection of 5000 in 1995 for a paltry sum. i try not to regret it as it would eat me up but ....

i would get my dad to repeat this story to me over and over, maybe looking for the magic again or something.

i will never own this book unless i win the lottery and if i did i would want the british edition. as for the "borrowed" comics, well if anyone knows a Steve who moved from Middlesbrough to London in 1980/1 to become an artist let me know.

i love this book and the copies shown here are obviously well loved. continue to treasure these gems.

neil

Hi All

my first post so please be gentle...

im not a member of this club but do a have tale to tell.

i live in the uk in middlesbrough. my dad was 17 in 1962 and used to visit a newsagents in the town because he had took a shine to the girl behind the counter. at the time he used to buy british war comics but that summer he kept noticing AF15 hung up by a peg near the counter. eventually he bought it, his first marvel, and the rest is in our family history.

(i would like to be able to say he asked the girl out and they married and that i was the product of this union brought on by AF15, but no).

my dad bought practically every marvel and dc up to the early 70's when they werent distributed here and we continued to buy them together when i was old enough to read in about 1976 when i was 4. my earliest comic memory is M2in1 #20.

in 1980 my parents split and short of cash my dad sold AF15 for £25 ($50 ish). the guy who bought them also "borrowed" 57 others silver age gems (inc 1-10 of the main releases after AF) and disappeared. back then though despite being a police officer my dad didnt follow this up. ive seen the list of "borrowed" comics and its heartbreaking.

i then sold the rest of the collection of 5000 in 1995 for a paltry sum. i try not to regret it as it would eat me up but ....

i would get my dad to repeat this story to me over and over, maybe looking for the magic again or something.

i will never own this book unless i win the lottery and if i did i would want the british edition. as for the "borrowed" comics, well if anyone knows a Steve who moved from Middlesbrough to London in 1980/1 to become an artist let me know.

i love this book and the copies shown here are obviously well loved. continue to treasure these gems.

neil

Welcome, Neil.

The only copy I've owned of AF #15 was a British copy, but I sold it back in '92. :sorry: May you land a copy without having to win the lottery. :wishluck: And may Steve get his (:gossip: not an AF #15). :sumo: