• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

I apologize for not getting this posted a few days ago when it arrived; I've just been quite busy and have not taken the time to take the pic and put it up.

Fresh from CGC...

219.jpg

That sure looks better than a 3.5 from the photo! I would pay to have someone restore it further up to another level. What do the label notes say?

I apologize for not getting this posted a few days ago when it arrived; I've just been quite busy and have not taken the time to take the pic and put it up.

Fresh from CGC...

219.jpg

That sure looks better than a 3.5 from the photo! I would pay to have someone restore it further up to another level. What do the label notes say?

Before I sent it into CGC, it was PGX graded at 4.5 so perhaps CGC wanted to make sure they didn't appear loose in their grading. The restoration includes color touch, spine-splits sealed, reinforced, tear seals, and top edge trimmed.

I personally feel the book looks better than a 3.5 but I was more than happy with the restoration-check, the quick service, and CGC's superb communication skills. They were very helpful when I called to speak with them.

I wanted to see when the book was estimated to arrive and lo and behold, it was already in town on its way to be delivered.

Also, I wanted to respond to the question regarding the estimated number of AF #15's in existance.

CGC has graded 1,287 copies (825 being unrestored)

PGX has graded 44 copies (34 being unrestored)

That's a total of 1,331 graded copies to date. I'm going to just throw out a rough estimation and say that 1,200 individual books have been slabbed (acounting for re-submissions).

Now, I've noticed that slabbed copies show up for auction on eBay far more than raw.

Now, I'm not saying that the percentage of slabbed vs. raw that we're seeing on the internet is an accurate representation of the amount actually slabbed vs. graded in existance. But it does say something.

A quick look on eBay displayed 13 graded copies to 2 raw copies currently up for sale/auction. Metropolis is split even right now with 5 graded copies and 5 raw copies for sale.

While it seems as though slabbed copies are far more common to be offered up for sale online, you have to consider the number of copies in private collections that might be owned by collectors who have never owned (or have cared to own) a slabbed copy in their life.

I'm guessing that there are more raw copies than graded even if the internet doesn't reflect that figure, I think it's reasonable.

If there were 2 raw copies for every slabbed copy, that would bring us to about 2,400 raw copies in addition to 1,200 slabbed copies = 3,600?

Lets make it, 3,500-4,000?

That is a lot lower then I expected from one of the world`s most popular comic characters. hm

Fresh from CGC...

219.jpg

Before I sent it into CGC, it was PGX graded at 4.5 so perhaps CGC wanted to make sure they didn't appear loose in their grading. The restoration includes color touch, spine-splits sealed, reinforced, tear seals, and top edge trimmed.

I personally feel the book looks better than a 3.5 but I was more than happy with the restoration-check, the quick service, and CGC's superb communication skills. They were very helpful when I called to speak with them.

I wanted to see when the book was estimated to arrive and lo and behold, it was already in town on its way to be delivered.

From my experience, PGX tends to over grade.