• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

NEVER buy a chipped book IMO. Not eye appealing and a terrible investment. I've always said MC is "PART" of the book missing (and in the worst place...the front cover!). Doesn't matter if a dull blade did it or someone hacked it with the 'ole Uncle Henry.

This is the way everyone should be buying expensive books. If CGC ever has legitimate competition, downgrading more for manufacturing defects is a highly likely new idea they'd bring to professional grading--I can't begin to fathom why CGC forgives manufacturing defects as much as they do. Downgrading significantly less for an equal-length tear or missing piece caused by the printer as opposed to being caused by a reader is :screwy:

I despise MC on any book especially on AF 15. I would definitely take a book graded as a 5.0 with no MC over a 7.5 with chipping. And I get to save some money on top of that. But, I am picky about PQ and will only buy SA books that have at least offwhite pages or better on key books.

I despise MC on any book especially on AF 15. I would definitely take a book graded as a 5.0 with no MC over a 7.5 with chipping. And I get to save some money on top of that. But, I am picky about PQ and will only buy SA books that have at least offwhite pages or better on key books.
I find that interesting Brian, as I know you are a serious GA collector and understand that "cr/ow" is actually a fantastic PQ designation...especially when one considers that at some point, the Golden age becomes the Silver age, at a point in time...a "cutoff" if you will ,where books from diff ages are the "same" age...

there is virtually NO difference in cr/ow and ow on a silver age book...virtually NONE structurally and usually visually tough for the avg collector to detect or differentiate...

again, I fully support anyone's right to collect and establish benchmarks for their own personal collecting criteria, but outside of what it reads on a cgc label, does it "really" matter if the right book at the right price came along (shrug)

Getting at least a crm/ow on a GA book will be fantastic for majority of GA folks. Light tan to off-white is also okay for me only if it's a key or any books published pre-1945. Heck, I might even settle with slightly brittle, if it's something very rare. PQ does play a bigger role on books above 9.6 where the price may vary 10-25% depending on the issue. I don't mind collecting crm/ow on a lower grade book <5.0, but always welcome a white pager.

Getting at least a crm/ow on a GA book will be fantastic for majority of GA folks. Light tan to off-white is also okay for me only if it's a key or any books published pre-1945. Heck, I might even settle with slightly brittle, if it's something very rare. PQ does play a bigger role on books above 9.6 where the price may vary 10-25% depending on the issue. I don't mind collecting crm/ow on a lower grade book <5.0, but always welcome a white pager.
I would think most would agree with you (thumbs u

I find that interesting Brian, as I know you are a serious GA collector and understand that "cr/ow" is actually a fantastic PQ designation...especially when one considers that at some point, the Golden age becomes the Silver age, at a point in time...a "cutoff" if you will ,where books from diff ages are the "same" age...

there is virtually NO difference in cr/ow and ow on a silver age book...virtually NONE structurally and usually visually tough for the avg collector to detect or differentiate...

again, I fully support anyone's right to collect and establish benchmarks for their own personal collecting criteria, but outside of what it reads on a cgc label, does it "really" matter if the right book at the right price came along (shrug)

I have no problems buying a SA book with cream/offwhite pages or lesser especially if I can get it for a discount for what a white pager or better quality page would go for. And yes, sometimes it's difficult to differentiate cr/ow and ow pages. It's kinda like how people differentiate how they grade comics. Even CGC juggles with their grades at time if a book is re-sent for grading. So, everything is relative and opinionated.

new to the Forums and new to the AF 15 club, got this today!!

amazing.jpg

First of all, welcome to the boards :hi:

Second, what a beautiful copy of one of the greatest books of all-time!

I own a 3.5 PLOD and while I might like to think that my copy was a bit under-graded, yours is just so sharp. I love the inks, even love the spine, looks like a book that would have graded considerably higher had it not been for a few issues here and there.

I'd take that kind of copy any day of the week.

Thanks for sharing.

If I were guessing, I'd say the avg PQ for AF15 is C-OW or OW. (shrug)

Anyone like to take a stab at this?

Here's a stab at it.

5% white

10% off-white to white pages

40% off-white pages

40 % cream-off white pages

5% etc...

The Rocky Mountain CGC 7.0 just sold on C-link for $38k... Thoughts? Pretty fast for the one who pulled the trigger.

I just looked at this and was going to post about it...does anyone know what it sold for originally? I seem to recall it sold for closer to $50K (shrug)

Here's a scan...

RAD6157B2010513_113932.jpg

That was quick. That is a very strong price for the 7.0 Rocky Mountain. A very strong 7.0 and that book was well preserved. Rich in colors and no chips. :headbang:
I agree :headbang:

cover looks more like an 8.0+, but i believe the back cover has some minor scufs bringing down tha grade...

That was quick. That is a very strong price for the 7.0 Rocky Mountain. A very strong 7.0 and that book was well preserved. Rich in colors and no chips. :headbang:
I agree :headbang:

cover looks more like an 8.0+, but i believe the back cover has some minor scufs bringing down tha grade...

That pink mark near the dude's arm must have knocked it down half a point. Great eye appeal copy.