• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

I got my copy about a year ago, but just discovered this club tonight. This book is my grail, and it took me about 20 years of collecting to get one. I couldn't pass up the eye appeal for the grade, and the centering is damn near perfect. I couldn't be happier!

RAD235B2200952_11438.jpg

I got my copy about a year ago, but just discovered this club tonight. This book is my grail, and it took me about 20 years of collecting to get one. I couldn't pass up the eye appeal for the grade, and the centering is damn near perfect. I couldn't be happier!

RAD235B2200952_11438.jpg

Welcome! Sweeet book you got there! :applause:

As of today I'm a proud member of this club. :whee:

Been a decade in the making but I've finally landed a copy of this dream book. :cloud9:

IMG_2787.jpg

IMG_2786.jpg

Alex,

Your AF #15 finally arrives, and the former "AF15Kid" doesn't even get a sneak peak? I'm hurt. :cry:

Just kidding bro....wow! :applause:

Welcome to the club, and what a great copy to join with.

Very solid book...looks its grade but the inks remain sharp, the image of Spidey is very well preserved, and it's a true piece of history!

Without question, the #1 SA book of all-time!

I know this one has been a long time coming for you and while you may always be a GA guy...this is THE SA book own.

Congrats. :golfclap:

RAD235B2200952_11438.jpg

Incredbile copy. Brilliant colors and positioning. I'm also digging the PQ on it!

Amazing :applause:

Been a decade in the making but I've finally landed a copy of this dream book. :cloud9:

IMG_2787.jpg

IMG_2786.jpg

Alex,

Your AF #15 finally arrives, and the former "AF15Kid" doesn't even get a sneak peak? I'm hurt. :cry:

Very solid book...looks its grade but the inks remain sharp, the image of Spidey is very well preserved, and it's a true piece of history!

I know this one has been a long time coming for you and while you may always be a GA guy...this is THE SA book own.

Thanks!

I had to do it, I needed a copy of this book.

It feels nice to have finally ponied up for one.

But I'm still a GA guy - but I feel a few more SA's might be making there way (back) into my collection.

ASM 1, FF 1 hm

IMG_2787.jpg

IMG_2786.jpg

Alex,

Thanks!

But I'm still a GA guy - but I feel a few more SA's might be making there way (back) into my collection.

ASM 1, FF 1 hm

Showcase 22 hm:hi:

IMG_2787.jpg

IMG_2786.jpg

Alex,

Thanks!

ASM 1, FF 1 hm

Showcase 22 hm:hi:

:idea:

hm

100K is the new price for AF15 CGC 9.2 in OSPG #40- reactions?

Its 6 figures now c'mon the guide must be getting more relevant. Bob Overstreet made it jump up alot along with all the top 20 silver age to stimulate the comic economy.

This thread use to be the happenin place show some love. It used to be a full page a day now its one per week. If you're in the club like I am -lets hear the joy.

seriously, the last 9.2 AF 15 was sold for $190k

the last 9.0 was sold for $140k the curator copy on CL

so who in the world is going to sell me a 9.2 for guide price...please PM me right now for a wire fund of $100k

more relevant? if these key books decline to this guide level....hmmmm...I don't think it will stimulate any comic economy.

It is and will be a good reference....is it more relevant with the big bumps on key books....not to me since it is still behind the curve on keys and perhaps way over priced for many non keys.

RAD235B2200952_11438.jpg

Nicest 4 & a half I've ever seen... (worship)

Nicest 4 & a half I've ever seen... (worship)

+1 ...hard to believe that book is 4.5 since it is such a sharp copy.

nice PQ, no chips, bright cover...the piece of tape wouldn't prevent me to bid on that book one second.

Thanks guys! I was super pleased to get it. There is a minor tear in the lower left corner of the BACK cover, and that is where I imagine the tape is. I look at this book just about every day, and still have to pinch myself.

As for the new Overstreet, I haven't seen it yet but have to agree that a mere $100K for a 9.2 is well behind the times...

Yeah, you were slammed for the tape as I bet you'd see a full 1.5 higher on that book without it.

You know... you ought to see what it would take to remove the tape professionally and then resubmit. If they could do it w/o incurring a purple label, you'd see one massive jump in your investment.

2c

And while I own and use the guide.... yeah. Doesn't really apply here.

I have thought about having the tape removed too, and may get around to it someday. With this much eye appeal the 4.5 doesn't really sting all that much. Like they always say, buy the book and not the label.

Overstreet is still one of the best reference books to have on the shelf. I've just always found that the least useful information in the guide is the prices. I only buy one about every 3 years or so, and this year is not one of them.

Me too. I usually go about every other year or so.

And while I thoroughly agree with buy the book and not the grade (being a predominantly raw collector), when it comes to this amount of money, it doesn't hurt to "pad the stats" where you can. And frankly, it's not like you'd be doing anything sneaky or undesirable. ACTUALLY, you'd be doing the book a real favor in terms of longevity be removing the tape as the acidic residue can really do a number to a comic over the years. Think of it as protecting your investment.

If you do want to, since you're new here, the boardie you'd want to speak with is Kenny (Ze-Man). He's a restoration expert with Classics Inc. and a freakin' wizard with the stuff he has done with some high-end books.

Me too. I usually go about every other year or so.

And while I thoroughly agree with buy the book and not the grade (being a predominantly raw collector), when it comes to this amount of money, it doesn't hurt to "pad the stats" where you can. And frankly, it's not like you'd be doing anything sneaky or undesirable. ACTUALLY, you'd be doing the book a real favor in terms of longevity be removing the tape as the acidic residue can really do a number to a comic over the years. Think of it as protecting your investment.

If you do want to, since you're new here, the boardie you'd want to speak with is Kenny (Ze-Man). He's a restoration expert with Classics Inc. and a freakin' wizard with the stuff he has done with some high-end books.

I got writing on a JIM 85 cgc 4.5 I wanna see if it can be removed too. Can he do it?

Bob has always been conservative in pricing.....always has always will. Hail to Bob !

(worship)

Yeah he's better than James Beckett for Sportscards. At least Bob makes comics go up to sell the book, yet James Beckett kills his own sportcard hobby by making everything go down and all Collectors,Stores and show promoters to go with it.

I'll take an AF15 over a Mantle rookie anyday of week.

Thanks for the info on Kenny, I may well look him up to see about the tape. My hope is that the tape is fairly vintage (I hate to think of anyone taping an AF 15 more recently than the mid to late 60's) so that any bleed that was going to happen would have happened by now. There is absolutely zero tape staining that I can detect, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that that won't be an issue.

I wouldn't mind "padding the stats" at all, but after a recent group of submissions I made I am a little gunshy about submitting anything that valuable (to me personally as well as in dollar terms). I've been collecting for 25 years and know I can grade, and CGC was just merciless on some books that show way more eye appeal than the grades given (though I am sure I am not alone in this gripe). With a tear especially I would hate to go through the risk, time, and expense of a tape removal to have the book come back the same, downgraded, or (worse) in a PLOD. Sometimes a gorgeous 4.5 is worth sticking with (no pun intended).