• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

I must say : 40K - a in steep BIN ... I presume it has appeared to the seller that the book in question actually has got three holes in it ... ?! (shrug)

I know, but how much is a 9.4 AF15 worth? What would it sell for if the holes weren't there? Those are more important questions.

Yeah, but the holes ARE there. What would my 4.5 be worth if not for the spine stress, reading crease, and staple tears? Probably at least $100K (at least I like to think so). As somebody else brought up, the 9.4 qualified label just messes with your head. Why couldn't my copy be a 9.4 qualified except for the aforementioned defects? What would this 9.4Q grade in a blue label? If you want to get technical, it has pieces missing from the cover so it shouldn't be able to go above about a 4.0 (I don't remember exactly what the standard is, so somebody else feel free to chime in with the Overstreet Grading Guide rules on this one). If it would come in as a blue label 4.5 or 5.0 that is a FAR cry from the $40K this guy is asking (and feels he can rightly ask) because of the fantasy (pun intended) that this book would be a 9.4 except for that major problem...

I must say : 40K - a in steep BIN ... I presume it has appeared to the seller that the book in question actually has got three holes in it ... ?! (shrug)

I know, but how much is a 9.4 AF15 worth? What would it sell for if the holes weren't there? Those are more important questions.

Yeah, but the holes ARE there. What would my 4.5 be worth if not for the spine stress, reading crease, and staple tears? Probably at least $100K (at least I like to think so). As somebody else brought up, the 9.4 qualified label just messes with your head. Why couldn't my copy be a 9.4 qualified except for the aforementioned defects? What would this 9.4Q grade in a blue label? If you want to get technical, it has pieces missing from the cover so it shouldn't be able to go above about a 4.0 (I don't remember exactly what the standard is, so somebody else feel free to chime in with the Overstreet Grading Guide rules on this one). If it would come in as a blue label 4.5 or 5.0 that is a FAR cry from the $40K this guy is asking (and feels he can rightly ask) because of the fantasy (pun intended) that this book would be a 9.4 except for that major problem...

I think the important aspect that may be overlooked in this instance is exactly why it was given a 9.4 qualified grade. The green label exists so that way we can have an idea of what kind of condition the book is in...with the exception of a major defect. So for instance, if there was a 9.9 AF #15 but it was missing the CF, would it technically qualify for being a 0.5? (shrug)

But there would be a monumental difference between a book in that condition, and one used to line a bird cage. So while this copy might be a 4.5 or 5.0 (have no idea really) in a blue-label holder, it has been preserved far better than any 4.5 or 5.0 you will ever see. As a matter of fact, this copy has withstood the test of time better than most AF #15's in existance (I presume) and that's what makes it "unique".

Some may be turned off by a label that doesn't have a rich history of being investment-friendly and others may simply think of the book in no higher light than your regular 4.5 or 5.0 copy...but it's still a very different book.

I think the important aspect that may be overlooked in this instance is exactly why it was given a 9.4 qualified grade. The green label exists so that way we can have an idea of what kind of condition the book is in...with the exception of a major defect. So for instance, if there was a 9.9 AF #15 but it was missing the CF, would it technically qualify for being a 0.5? (shrug)

That's fine, but it's information that is less important than the ACTUAL grade. For the Qualified grade to be at all useful, CGC would have to list two numbers--the actual grade, and the Qualified grade. Just listing the bogus Qualified grade leaves a book like this as still being a largely unknown quantity.

That's fine, but it's information that is less important than the ACTUAL grade. For the Qualified grade to be at all useful, CGC would have to list two numbers--the actual grade, and the Qualified grade. Just listing the bogus Qualified grade leaves a book like this as still being a largely unknown quantity.

+1

I know that I am a lot less likely to buy a Qualified book like this one because there is no clear way to figure out a decent market price on it. With blue labels it is easy, with PLODS it is a bit more difficult but still doable, but the green labels are unique books and therefore very difficult to value. And I think it is awfully risky to shell out $40,000 on a book that is pretty except for 3 glaring punch holes in the cover. If you are the only person on Earth willing to overlook those punch holes and pay that price, the next guy in line may be willing to pay $10,000 and you just threw away 30 grand on an unknown quantity.

I completely agree that having a two grade system on qualified labels, what the qualified grade is and what the blue label grade would be, would really help in situations like this. CGC grading is supposed to take the uncertainty out of grading, but the green labels do not accomplish this in many cases.

So for instance, if there was a 9.9 AF #15 but it was missing the CF, would it technically qualify for being a 0.5? But there would be a monumental difference between a book in that condition, and one used to line a bird cage.

I know you're the Detective 33 Kid and all, but in the AF 15 Club I doubt that any of us would contemplate lining bird cages with ANY copy of our beloved book. Just saying.

well, gentlemen...I'm in! a STELLAR transaction with G.A.tor/rick on this AF15 which I could not be happier with. :cloud9:

af1590.jpg

two things sold me on this one: the condition/grade of course and rick's [insert hyperbole here!] customer service. both awesome. the scan doesn't really do this justice.

GAtor, many thanks again and may all your labels be blue! (thumbs u

well, gentlemen...I'm in! a STELLAR transaction with G.A.tor/rick on this AF15 which I could not be happier with. :cloud9:

af1590.jpg

two things sold me on this one: the condition/grade of course and rick's [insert hyperbole here!] customer service. both awesome. the scan doesn't really do this justice.

GAtor, many thanks again and may all your labels be blue! (thumbs u

That's a beaut. (worship)

af1590.jpg

AWESOME! :cloud9:

Best 9 out there. period. (worship)

....WOW.... :golfclap:

Gorgious book !! Congrats big time - A real GRAIL (worship)

Very sweet indeed and it's not trimmed like the other 9.0's. (worship)

OMG! :o

Unbelieveable book! :headbang:

I'm officially jealous...very happy for you Foomy! (worship)