• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

Ladies and gentleman....can I join the club now?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270644178560&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I have just purchased my first AF15 copy on ebay. I honestly thought nobody would bid more than $2000....anyway thanks to the strong €/US$ rate I decided to push to US$2550 because the book looks a very strong candidate for moderate to extensive restoration.

The book has old restoration on the cover and a small tear at the top rear cover. It looks like the cover was secured with glue along the spine inside the front cover.

Also, a small(1/4") tear on the edge of the front cover has been repaired on the inside. The center page is coming loose from the staple.

No chips or pages are missing...

1. How far would you push the restoration?

2. Would an extensive restoration guarantee a purple CGC 8.0-9.0 in your opinion?

3. I know many don't like a purple label...but my long term goal (when I get rich and famous :) ) is a Blue AF15 in CGC 6.5-8.0 !!!

Best regards

FEDERICO PICCININI

ITALY

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

Even if Ze-man or Matt N. should go ballistic on this one (performing full monthy Ext) I doubt with all due respect that it will reach an 8.0 apparenty grade

+1

I don't see a 7.0 extensive restoration job is doable here. a 6.0 is more likely the best case scenario.

Unfortunately this is pretty much accurate. :(

Not that it isn't a decent resto candidate(because it already had previous amateur work done)

It would just cost a fortune to restore, and the amount of previous glue and CT would ultimately affect the final grade. Both of which are not in Federicos favor.

While painful, I think it might be a better route to relist this copy and put that money towards a better overall copy to restore. Easier said then done I know, but if his goal is to own a HG copy, that takes time as well as a bit of luck and a lot of perseverance.

thanks Ze-man, I really wanted to suggest that he returned the book since there is time to do so and save/buy something nicer but I am glad I was not too far off. I didn't want to be the bearer of bad news.

Hi, this is my copy bought it raw but was saddend to find abt the glue. Guess I was too excited about the fact that it had very little chipping. Well water under the bridge now. Am looking to upgrade to a 4.0.

Do you think I could do that with this copy plus a top up < $2k ?

AF15.jpg

Hi, this is my copy bought it raw but was saddend to find abt the glue. Guess I was too excited about the fact that it had very little chipping. Well water under the bridge now. Am looking to upgrade to a 4.0.

AF15.jpg

WOW nice book i need to find one like that soon

AF15.jpg

That is a gorgeous 2.0. Frankly I'd be pretty happy with that one if I were you! As for upgrading to a 4.0, you would likely be closer to $3K + your copy, depending on what your book fetched.

hm I wonder if having the glue removed would help bump the grade up some? Now, having tape removed (I believe) would get you a PLOD but I don't think glue removal would. Going solely off the front cover alone, I know some dealers who'd call this a VG- / VG as is... and I bet it's that tape that's hammering it down. Send Ze-Man a PM and see what he thinks he could do while still keeping it unrestored.

2c

Thanks for the advice, will contact Ze-man.

I had sent the slabbed book before to Matt sometime ago. He was of the opinion that it might not be worth the while and that the grade might drop to 1.8

Will it be worth the risk to break the book out for assessment and find that nothing could be done further and end up having a drop in grade? Not sure if im willing to take the risk just yet tho.

i was so hoping for a 3.0 for the book. Guess the glue brought it down

Thanks for the advice, will contact Ze-man.

I had sent the slabbed book before to Matt sometime ago. He was of the opinion that it might not be worth the while and that the grade might drop to 1.8

Will it be worth the risk to break the book out for assessment and find that nothing could be done further and end up having a drop in grade? Not sure if im willing to take the risk just yet tho.

i was so hoping for a 3.0 for the book. Guess the glue brought it down

Well, if you already sent the book to Matt, then I'm guessing Kenny will say the same thing (since they work together). Still, it's a great looking book and if you can't unload it right away, I wouldn't feel TOO bad if I were you. :foryou:

HELLO PEOPLE...Thanks to your suggestions and evalutions I decided NOT to restore the book... The book is effectively not worth the pain of being extensively restored just to get a purple 6.0...I will send to Matt a better copy next time...

INSTEAD, I have submitted it to CGC for a private (deadline 22nd of October) Stan Lee Signing! I think that having the book in a purple/yellow signature series slab is a much better investment...

I may keep the book forever too... Owning the first Spidey book officially signed and certified is not bad...what do you think :)???

I will keep you informed about the grade and I am going to post the pics of the slabbed book!

FEDERICO - ITALY

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

AF15.jpg

That sure is a nice looking book for a 2.0, and no chipping to boot. (thumbs u

AF15.jpg

That sure is a nice looking book for a 2.0, and no chipping to boot. (thumbs u

+1.. To me it looks like a 3.0/3.5

I totally agree, it's a really presentable 2.0

Especially since the tape is on the interior cover, out of sight. That tiny dot of glue on the centerfold really does not bother me on a book in this grade.

The thing to remember about tape removal is that while yes, the tape could possibly be removed safely. You would more then likely be left with spine splits or long tears where the tape was placed. So unless you wanted to restore the book afterward, many times it is best to leave the tape on and live with it.

I think Grendel should still be excited about the lack of chipping. :)

AF15.jpg

Don't be sad! That is a BEAUTIFUL copy!! :headbang:

AF15.jpg

Thats the type of 2.0 that i would love to own (thumbs u

Thanks for all the comments and advice ! really appreciate it (worship)

And yes, the lack of marvel chipping was the deal maker. Its quite tough to find one in a lower grade

Just for learning, what affected the grade more ? The glue or the tapes.

I always assumed that it was the glue.

Just wanted to say, your trimmed 9.0 copy is a thing of beauty. Absolutely stunning.

Thank you, I'm glad that there were at least 31 out there 9.0 or better, besides the unrestored books.

And as Jacso I think replied: We are not likely to see more +9.0 plods surfacing in the near future. Where should they come from? Any body holding a universal 5.0-8.0 copy will most likely under the current plod-condition decide "not" to work on these books, - i.e. mess them up. To abstain from defacing a blue label ia a no brainer.