• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

$9k vs $150k, hell, crack it out, have the CT removed and rub some dirt on the edge and see what happens. A couple of marvel chips would take the trim job right off.

;) It did look great when I took it out before sending it off to NY:

pict2729.jpg

af15rawfront90cttrimmed.jpg

Theres slight bleedthrough marginally visible in that pic ...

Looks better than my PQ which is bone white!

I was comparing the PQ with this copy and your copy and my other copy. :baiting:

I would place it in the low teens k$ based on the number of restored books in that high of grade(5), the 19 9.0s that are basically all under $10k, and the markets opinion of PLODs.

The right buyer would appreciate it more based on their want of that high grade and how few there are. Finding that person or two is the hard part.

I would wait if possible if the goal is to upgrade that way. That is, I'd try to buy the right book now that you are looking for, and hold onto that 9.4 as long as possible to sell. The 9.4 should go up at least as fast as unrestored AF15's. I think eventually the PLODs will go up more, whenever they are all even harder to find to buy. That may be a long time though, for the percentage to go up much from the low level it's at now. Regards,

12K or 16K is not a dealbreaker I think. The hard part is finding a slightly restored 9.4 to buy. Good luck with that.

And there are the question of which type of slight youre going for: there are (i) slights which has been cleaned, reglossed, with a tear-seal and with very minor ct.

And there are the very few extreme slights: made up of just a few dots of ct and glue. There are a handfull of these out there. They are basically camouflaged blue labels IMHO. A 9.6 super slight AF15 sold for around 50K a few years ago on ebay. It was in that league. They are priced by the market as if they were universals.

I cannot contain my excitement...

In late October, I received a call from a comic book buddy who gets his new books from the same LCS I do in Buford, GA--basically north Atlanta (actually, it's an hour trek to this place since the LCS in our town closed down a couple years ago). He said that Kyle, the owner of Galactic Quest, had an AF #15 CGC 0.5 blue label for sale. I hung up with my buddy and immediately phoned Kyle. Yes, he did have one but it wasn't on display...but he had showed it to a couple of folks and there was some interest. He wanted 1,000 bucks for it. The cover was detached. There was water damage. There was Marvel chipping. When I asked of the PQ, he said it was decent but obviously wasn't familiar with the designation on the label (I didn't ask).

In owning his store for 20 years, only two AF #15s have walked through his door. One, a few years back, he passed on because the seller wanted too much (it was low grade too). And this one recently came in, and he bought it. He read it with his daughters and then sent it down to Sarasota, FL for CGC certification. He was hoping for a 1.0 but it came back 0.5.

So I set up a meeting the following week, on Nov. 2, to see the book. I thought a deal breaker would be: brittle or tan pages; major soiling, major writing, major tape, etc. Considering it's a 0.5, picky, picky--I know, I know. :lol: Once I saw it, I realized it had CRM/OW pages. The eye appeal sealed the deal for me. Yes, the Marvel chipping is MAJOR. Yes, the cover is detached. Yes, it's the lowest grade CGC offers out of their 10-point scale consisting of 25 units, but...

I've always regretted selling the only other copy of AF #15 that I've ever owned. I've told the story before but it was a pence copy and a kid had traced Spider-Man on the front cover with a blue ball-point pen so it was probably a 0.5, maybe a 1.0. Whatever it was, I sold it for about $150 back in 1992 when I was 25. :cry: I always regretted selling it.

But fast-forward 18 years, and this 43-year-old has just (re-) joined the AF #15 club. :whee::banana::headbang: Many thanks to my beloved wife, Amy, who tolerated the purchase and took the sweet pics which you see here. :cloud9:

Edit: And thanks to rsortor here on the boards who bought my ASM #129--or else I wouldn't have had the funds for this AF #15. Take a bow, Ronnie. :hail:

AF15.jpg

AF15BC.jpg

AF15NewHome.jpg

In late October, I received a call from a comic book buddy who gets his new books from the same LCS I do in Buford, GA--basically north Atlanta (actually, it's an hour trek to this place since the LCS in our town closed down a couple years ago). He said that Kyle, the owner of Galactic Quest, had an AF #15 CGC 0.5 blue label for sale. I hung up with my buddy and immediately phoned Kyle. Yes, he did have one but it wasn't on display...but he had showed it to a couple of folks and there was some interest. He wanted 1,000 bucks for it. The cover was detached. There was water damage. There was Marvel chipping. When I asked of the PQ, he said it was decent but obviously wasn't familiar with the designation on the label (I didn't ask).

In owning his store for 20 years, only two AF #15s have walked through his door. One, a few years back, he passed on because the seller wanted too much (it was low grade too). And this one recently came in, and he bought it. He read it with his daughters and then sent it down to Sarasota, FL for CGC certification. He was hoping for a 1.0 but it came back 0.5.

So I set up a meeting the following week, on Nov. 2, to see the book. I thought a deal breaker would be: brittle or tan pages; major soiling, major writing, major tape, etc. Considering it's a 0.5, picky, picky--I know, I know. :lol: Once I saw it, I realized it had CRM/OW pages. The eye appeal sealed the deal for me. Yes, the Marvel chipping is MAJOR. Yes, the cover is detached. Yes, it's the lowest grade CGC offers out of their 10-point scale consisting of 25 units, but...

I've always regretted selling the only other copy of AF #15 that I've ever owned. I've told the story before but it was a pence copy and a kid had traced Spider-Man on the front cover with a blue ball-point pen so it was probably a 0.5, maybe a 1.0. Whatever it was, I sold it for about $150 back in 1992 when I was 25. :cry: I always regretted selling it.

But fast-forward 18 years, and this 43-year-old has just (re-) joined the AF #15 club. :whee::banana::headbang: Many thanks to my beloved wife, Amy, who tolerated the purchase and took the sweet pics which you see here. :cloud9:

AF15.jpg

AF15BC.jpg

AF15NewHome.jpg

Thanks for sharing your story and congrats on the nice pick-up! :applause: I love hearing stories like these and I can relate to the feeling of picking up a book you have dreamed of owning again or have never owned. Also congrats in re-joining the AF 15 club!

AF15.jpg

AF15BC.jpg

AF15NewHome.jpg

Thanks for sharing your story and congrats on the nice pick-up! :applause: I love hearing stories like these and I can relate to the feeling of picking up a book you have dreamed of owning again or have never owned. Also congrats in re-joining the AF 15 club!

Great story and thanks for sharing. Congrats Scott and I know how excited you are. :applause:

Here's my AF 15.

Bought it 8 or 9 years ago.

Sorry for the pic. It's the only one I have handy.

AF15.jpg

STUNNING BOOK!!!! I may not ever be able to upgrade mine [not that I really need to], but I'd give up 2 years of comic buying to own this one! be-yoo-tiful!! (worship)

I would place it in the low teens k$ based on the number of restored books in that high of grade(5), the 19 9.0s that are basically all under $10k, and the markets opinion of PLODs.

The right buyer would appreciate it more based on their want of that high grade and how few there are. Finding that person or two is the hard part.

I would wait if possible if the goal is to upgrade that way. That is, I'd try to buy the right book now that you are looking for, and hold onto that 9.4 as long as possible to sell. The 9.4 should go up at least as fast as unrestored AF15's. I think eventually the PLODs will go up more, whenever they are all even harder to find to buy. That may be a long time though, for the percentage to go up much from the low level it's at now. Regards,

wonder what an unrestored 9.4 goes for these days? I didn't find any current sales info on GPA for 9.4 universal. a 9.2 went for $190k in march of '09. would it be unreasonable to think a 9.4 might fetch $350-400k?

if that might be the case, then if this 9.4 went for, say, $15k, it would only be 4% or so of unrestored. hmmm...something to ponder.

Congratulations Scott, thanks for sharing your appreciation for that book. I hope it makes you happy for a long time, and yes your wife does take good pictures.

if that might be the case, then if this 9.4 went for, say, $15k, it would only be 4% or so of unrestored. hmmm...something to ponder.

I think you nailed the deal, the current pricing for any restored books is not good. But I think that will get better and not worse. I think eventually the percentage will go up. How much is debatable, but just if it doubles that's a better return than the equivalent unrestored copy. Imagine paying 5-10% now for one and some day getting 10-20% back. I don't think you can bank on that or a time for it to happen, but I believe it's likely to.

The low grade PLOD's are not going really gain much in change of percentage from where they are now. But the HG books like a 9.0, or especially a 9.4, those will have the rare buyer that will pay more for them. Time will tell.

AF15.jpg

AF15BC.jpg

AF15NewHome.jpg

:applause:

wonder what an unrestored 9.4 goes for these days? I didn't find any current sales info on GPA for 9.4 universal. a 9.2 went for $190k in march of '09. would it be unreasonable to think a 9.4 might fetch $350-400k?

I doubt you will see a slight app. 9.4 AF15 changing hands today for 15K. Perhaps theoretically. But: It will rather have to be 25K to happen in the real world. And if it is slight/slight it will be +25K IMHO.

People have started to somehow believe that rare plods (app. HG or key) are stuff that will somehow go up. Are they right? Time will tell :makepoint: