• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

New Member to the AF15 Club :cloud9:

177454-001.jpg

Great looking book! But I've gotta say, ! :frustrated: That's the kind of book I've been looking for and can't seem to find the "right fit". That one woulda done it though. Congratulations to you! :headbang:

177454-001.jpg

Great looking book! But I've gotta say, ! :frustrated: That's the kind of book I've been looking for and can't seem to find the "right fit". That one woulda done it though. Congratulations to you! :headbang:

If I recalled...was this the ComicConnect verified 5.5 copy. hm

177454-001.jpg

(thumbs u Actually CC graded it as a 5.0 so they were right on the dot!

177454-001.jpg

(thumbs u Actually CC graded it as a 5.0 so they were right on the dot!

That's an awesome buy. (thumbs u

177454-001.jpg

Gorgeous copy with some of the best centering I have seen on an AF 15. Congrats! :applause:

With that staining, I'll bet 4.0, 4.5 if it's a lucky day at CGC.

I hinted to him about getting it graded, this is his reply

Being a long time dealer in the world of comics some 43+ years now, I know very well how to do checks for "restoration" which this book very much does not have. There are zero Marvel Chips which CGC does not recognize as a defect concept which i vehemently disagree with amongst other aspects of their protocols. I think CGC to be a self-deluded fraud catering to certain dealers, collectors and auction houses while leaving others dangling in the wind. It is not rocket science to do a resto check. A $4 black light bulb gets you there. The books I am going to be hoisting into my eBay store and elsewhere come from a very large one owner collection who began buying off the stands in the 60s. By the time we get to his 1967 up books, they are all virtually in 9.0 or better condition. There will be a LOT (a couple thousand) of 9.4 9.6 9.8 types over the next couple months as I scan, grade and price them. Others can pray before the CGC alter, not me, nor many of my long time collector friends who choose to "opt out" of such a system. I mean this will all due respect to you, I already know your reasoned logic, which is sound on a couple levels, but not how I choose to conduct myself in the wonderful world of comics, best, Robert Beerbohm

If the CGC grading was off on most books by a step or two from grading standards set in OPG's since 1971, I'd opt out too.

But so far I see close grading to what I learned since collecting the OPG's in 1975. CGC is good enough to rely on as a standard, to help buy comics from strangers unseen.

Looking at a book is far different in a picture of slab, than in hand. No one can grade a book accurately with just pictures. You can get very close, but lots of defects are not shown in pictures. So CGC does provide a very good service to help more safely buy comics.

I plan to remove all of my collection from slabs when I finish, to judge them by my opinion of the PQ and brittleness etc. I do not trust CGC's poor PQ standards.

Being a long time dealer in the world of comics some 43+ years now, I know very well how to do checks for "restoration" which this book very much does not have. There are zero Marvel Chips which CGC does not recognize as a defect concept which i vehemently disagree with amongst other aspects of their protocols. I think CGC to be a self-deluded fraud catering to certain dealers, collectors and auction houses while leaving others dangling in the wind. It is not rocket science to do a resto check. A $4 black light bulb gets you there. The books I am going to be hoisting into my eBay store and elsewhere come from a very large one owner collection who began buying off the stands in the 60s. By the time we get to his 1967 up books, they are all virtually in 9.0 or better condition. There will be a LOT (a couple thousand) of 9.4 9.6 9.8 types over the next couple months as I scan, grade and price them. Others can pray before the CGC alter, not me, nor many of my long time collector friends who choose to "opt out" of such a system. I mean this will all due respect to you, I already know your reasoned logic, which is sound on a couple levels, but not how I choose to conduct myself in the wonderful world of comics, best, Robert Beerbohm

Pretty much sums him his previous quote: The CGC slabbing adherent concept is a pimple on the butt of comics collecting. *spoon* you... - Robert Beerbohm

Pretty much sums him his previous quote: The CGC slabbing adherent concept is a pimple on the butt of comics collecting. *spoon* you... - Robert Beerbohm

This guy sent me another message, I never replied to the last :screwy:

Follow Up on grading criteria I used to come to where I think this book is at. There are no hints of any Marvel "chips" - the spine is tight, corners sharp. There a wearing at the top left staple which shows up in scan, there is a tiny moisture creep bottom of back cover. The cover gloss is almost right like it was as a newly printed comic, very full and fresh - if not for that wearing at the top staple would grade much higher as it is a nice copy, - I do not believe in the concept CGC is the only arbiter of some thing I and many friends have bee accomplishing for some four decades now. No offense intended to those who feel the need for such a service. My 99.7% eBay positive feedback is but one venue attesting to my proper gradign methods. hope this helps a bit, best, Robert Beerbohm

There are lots of people that disagree with CGC, their grading standards or the principle of the existance a grading company.

Some people disagree with CGC grading because it shows all of their hidden resto. Others disagree with CGC grading because they can't wrap their head around the idea and the service being offered.

I don't think RB's reasons are nefarious (hiding resto) as far as I know, i just think that he's old school and thinks that books shouldn't be encapsulated in plastic OR graded down to an infinitely small fractional scale.

I talked to him at length about it once. Lots of older collectors and dealers opposed CGC vehemently and some still do. I think it comes more from a lack of understanding on their parts as to why a company like CGC is necessary for internet sales. I don't agree with him on his stance but I understand his POV.