• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

I'm definitely feeling an AF#15 itch coming on...

not good....

That's a "several thousand dollar" itch ! lol

But scratching that itch is awfully rewarding. :whee:

Yeah, but I never knew it was that affordable! For the cost of a high end TV set, I can have the biggest SA key? Yes sir!

I'm thinking I'll give myself a 2K budget.

Think that might be enough for a raw complete issue?

not good....

Yeah, but I never knew it was that affordable! For the cost of a high end TV set, I can have the biggest SA key? Yes sir!

Absolutely.

I don't currently have a subscription to GPA, but I'm thinking 2,000 is 1.0 territory. Off the top of my head, folks like G.A.tor, SpiderTurtle, peewee22, and showcase22gr1959 know the AF #15 market very well, so I'd PM them...or they'll likely chime in soon enough here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Amazing-Fantasy-15-9d-1962-CGC-6-0-Spider-man-/250830340956?pt=UK_Books_Comics_Magazines_US_Comics_ET&hash=item3a66a7435c

af15 cgc 6.0 for $9k, i got really excited :whee:

until i realized it was a pence copy

looks really sharp though

Last time I heard, there were only about 20 pence copies on the census so they definitely aren't overly available. Yet, as fate would have it, here's another one:

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fitems%2Easp%3Fid%3D3884%26FROM%3D%26TO%3D&id=892190

WHOOPS. That's an ASM #1. :doh: :blush::sorry:

Still makes me think of our fellow boardie, nmtg9, who is in pursuit of a pence copy of AF #15--and will land one eventually. :wishluck:

I've heard the pence copies get anywhere from 30-50% of the value of the U.S. copies. :shrug: I just remember reading something along these lines in an Overstreet Update from the early '90s--and then, under the fog of cannabis and Lord knows what else, selling my pence copy of AF #15 in 1992. :cry:

Oh no :cry: .Dope never made me do anything so bad.

The 6.0 UK copy is the (i think) the second highest blue label. The book rarely comes available in this grade - slabbed or raw.

It's a nice copy - I've bought from the seller before and I remember the previous seller advertising it too. My guess is that it won't sell at that price but I hope it does. No reason why UK copies should not sell well.

Watch me drift away in 9d goodness :cloud9:

The market is the market but it truly is illogical (ethnocentric? :shrug:) that these copies aren't valued at MUCH more than they are. Ah well, what can one do?............Buy more AF #15s, whether they be cents or pence, raw or slabbed, purple or yellow, green or blue, yahoo! :whee:

I find it shocking as well.

From my understanding they are identical copies except for the prices so they are identical books (US and UK versions) and IMO should not have a difference in value any more than a newsstand copy would be valued no different than a direct copy of a comic from the1980's.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Amazing-Fantasy-15-9d-1962-CGC-6-0-Spider-man-/250830340956?pt=UK_Books_Comics_Magazines_US_Comics_ET&hash=item3a66a7435c

af15 cgc 6.0 for $9k, i got really excited :whee:

until i realized it was a pence copy

looks really sharp though

Last time I heard, there were only about 20 pence copies on the census so they definitely aren't overly available. Yet, as fate would have it, here's another one:

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fitems%2Easp%3Fid%3D3884%26FROM%3D%26TO%3D&id=892190

WHOOPS. That's an ASM #1. :doh: :blush::sorry:

Still makes me think of our fellow boardie, nmtg9, who is in pursuit of a pence copy of AF #15--and will land one eventually. :wishluck:

I've heard the pence copies get anywhere from 30-50% of the value of the U.S. copies. :shrug: I just remember reading something along these lines in an Overstreet Update from the early '90s--and then, under the fog of cannabis and Lord knows what else, selling my pence copy of AF #15 in 1992. :cry:

Oh no :cry: .Dope never made me do anything so bad.

The 6.0 UK copy is the (i think) the second highest blue label. The book rarely comes available in this grade - slabbed or raw.

It's a nice copy - I've bought from the seller before and I remember the previous seller advertising it too. My guess is that it won't sell at that price but I hope it does. No reason why UK copies should not sell well.

Watch me drift away in 9d goodness :cloud9:

The market is the market but it truly is illogical (ethnocentric? :shrug:) that these copies aren't valued at MUCH more than they are. Ah well, what can one do?............Buy more AF #15s, whether they be cents or pence, raw or slabbed, purple or yellow, green or blue, yahoo! :whee:

I find it shocking as well.

From my understanding they are identical copies except for the prices so they are identical books (US and UK versions) and IMO should not have a difference in value any more than a newsstand copy would be valued no different than a direct copy of a comic from the1980's.

I much prefer the direct copies because I hate barcodes on the covers. Place the barcode on the back out of sight.

I agree that the price difference should be minor for the pence versions. I think some day far in the future it will not be as big of an issue, which means I think the pence copies will go up faster in value some day.

It's funny how 35 cents instead of 30 cents will increase the value of star wars 1 and iron fist 14 but the 9d instead of 12 cents decreases the SA keys.

Exactly.

not good....

Absolutely.

I don't currently have a subscription to GPA, but I'm thinking 2,000 is 1.0 territory. Off the top of my head, folks like G.A.tor, SpiderTurtle, peewee22, and showcase22gr1959 know the AF #15 market very well, so I'd PM them...or they'll likely chime in soon enough here.

You're thinking 2k is enough for a 1.0 slabbed or raw?

not good....

Absolutely.

I'm thinking it is but don't know for sure if that's a fair market figure. Definitely depends on the copy's eye appeal too. I'll defer to the others I named to steer you in the right direction (additionally, VintageComics also knows the market well though I suspect more mid to higher grade copies...if I was a man of means, his 7.0 copy on eBay might be in serious jeopardy :lol:).

There was a nicely presenting CGC 1.5 that just sold on ComicLink for 2,600, so there's that. My GPA subscription has expired without a renewal (yet), and that's something I'd definitely invest in if I were you (only 10 bucks a month).

I much prefer the direct copies because I hate barcodes on the covers. Place the barcode on the back out of sight.

I agree that the price difference should be minor for the pence versions. I think some day far in the future it will not be as big of an issue, which means I think the pence copies will go up faster in value some day.

I recall collecting in the 80's that books with bar code (UPC) sold for less than direct copies. In the current CGC days, looks like there isn't too much different. I do prefer direct copies if I had to choose from the two.

not good....

Absolutely.

I'm thinking it is but don't know for sure if that's a fair market figure. Definitely depends on the copy's eye appeal too. I'll defer to the others I named to steer you in the right direction (additionally, VintageComics also knows the market well though I suspect more mid to higher grade copies...if I was a man of means, his 7.0 copy on eBay might be in serious jeopardy :lol:).

There was a nicely presenting CGC 1.5 that just sold on ComicLink for 2,600, so there's that. My GPA subscription has expired without a renewal (yet), and that's something I'd definitely invest in if I were you (only 10 bucks a month).

Haha, I meant which was was the 2K for, a 1.0 raw OR a 1.0 slabbed, lol

I will definitely differ my question to the folks you suggest!

Spidey is 49 years old this month (based on numerous June date stamps...earliest I've seen is 5-31-62).

One year until the big 50 ! 1962 - 2012

He looks pretty spry for a 49 year old. (thumbs u

Spidey is 49 years old this month (based on numerous June date stamps...earliest I've seen is 5-31-62).

He looks pretty spry for a 49 year old. (thumbs u

And I can't believe aunt May is still kicking! Poor uncle Ben didn't make it out of the first book. :sorry:

Amazing Fantasy hit the newsstands on June 5, 1962. (thumbs u

There's some good discussion about date stamps in this thread around August 2008.

There's some good discussion about date stamps in this thread around August 2008.

This thread is epic. Three summers ago you started it...and I just very recently trudged through every single page and it's definitely an invaluable resource for stories of AF #15 acquisitions and the book's overall market in whatever grade. Who knew that this year the thing would break a million? :insane: