• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

Spidey is 49 years old this month (based on numerous June date stamps...earliest I've seen is 5-31-62).

One year until the big 50 ! 1962 - 2012

Amazing Fantasy hit the newsstands on June 5, 1962. (thumbs u

There's some good discussion about date stamps in this thread around August 2008.

This thread is epic. Three summers ago you started it...and I just very recently trudged through every single page and it's definitely an invaluable resource for stories of AF #15 acquisitions and the book's overall market in whatever grade. Who knew that this year the thing would break a million? :insane:

Would I sell my copy for a million? hm:o

Spidey is 49 years old this month (based on numerous June date stamps...earliest I've seen is 5-31-62).

There's some good discussion about date stamps in this thread around August 2008.

This thread is epic. Three summers ago you started it...and I just very recently trudged through every single page and it's definitely an invaluable resource for stories of AF #15 acquisitions and the book's overall market in whatever grade. Who knew that this year the thing would break a million? :insane:

Would I sell my copy for a million? hm:o

Is that that sweet, white page copy...in CGC 7.5?

Thanks cloudofwit. In retrospect, I wish I hadn't titled it a Club, because that seems to have connotations of exclusivity. But who knows, maybe that is why it has prospered as well as it has.

Yes, I agree, lots of valuable information and great discussion. Still remember MacMan documenting his chase right here in the thread.

I still make it over here ever so often and love reading stories of the chase.

Thanks cloudofwit. In retrospect, I wish I hadn't titled it a Club, because that seems to have connotations of exclusivity. But who knows, maybe that is why it has prospered as well as it has.

Yes, I agree, lots of valuable information and great discussion. Still remember MacMan documenting his chase right here in the thread.

I still make it over here ever so often and love reading stories of the chase.

:hi:

I'm still in awe at time that I was able to get my hands on a copy. And I'm glad that I sat down and read through my book one last time before I had it encapsulated via Signature Series. I don't regret it though as I was continually getting spooked over the possibility of a detached cover. And while my book really presents quite well for it's grade (GD- 1.8), I know for a fact that it was the spine that hit the grade the most. If it was a little stronger in that regard, no reason it wouldn't hit a GD+ 2.5. But I spent a loooong while hunting that book--many, low grade copies I either passed on or missed out on before James Welborn came through and hooked me up BIG time. I don't see him on the boards too much but he's a good guy that connected me to my ultimate comic grail.

And I'm not 100% sure, but I think I remember bidding on a .5 with the same sort of defects that ended in that price range (I think my tolerance was around $1100ish).

I feel bad as I haven't frequented the SA threads as often since I've nailed down all but a handful of the books left on my SA list... but I know I spent a LOT of first few years on the boards here. GA, SA, and CA sections are definitely good spots to chillax. (thumbs u

Thanks for your post cloudofwit, I'm waiting for delivery of my own entry to the club and due to your post I've read through the first 35 pages of the thread so far. Some great stories are there and it's interesting to see now that Mac Man has obtained a copy since I've been reading his posts about his belief that he might never get one. I would've thought the majority of pages were pictures rather than stories so I don't think I would've thought to go back and read through them so thanks again for that. (thumbs u

Spider-Variant, thanks for starting this thread 3 years ago, it's clearly been a great source of information and fun for many people, including me!

I should be receiving my copy either today or tomorrow depending on the postal service so I'll post it once I get off cloud nine for finally having a copy. :cloud9:

Thanks for your post cloudofwit, I'm waiting for delivery of my own entry to the club and due to your post I've read through the first 35 pages of the thread so far. Some great stories are there and it's interesting to see now that Mac Man has obtained a copy since I've been reading his posts about his belief that he might never get one. I would've thought the majority of pages were pictures rather than stories so I don't think I would've thought to go back and read through them so thanks again for that. (thumbs u

Spider-Variant, thanks for starting this thread 3 years ago, it's clearly been a great source of information and fun for many people, including me!

I should be receiving my copy either today or tomorrow depending on the postal service so I'll post it once I get off cloud nine for finally having a copy. :cloud9:

(thumbs u

af15cgc45to55.jpg

aff-1.jpg

001-2.jpg

got this in mail from board member Jay-a really cool guy to deal with. I'm very very happy with the book b/c the color are really sharp and vibrant in hand. Its definetly gonna stay in my collection. The grade has been maximized b/c it was a former 4.5 which got a really strong price at HA auction probably b/c the defects were pressable up to a 5.5. It looks as good as my former 6.0. The main defect is on the upper left corner which i can live with

:whee:

I am looking for a high grade (+8-0) purple with slight restoration, since I feel that such a purchase would be a good imvestment. I presume they can still be had relatively cheep. What would FMV be on a slight HG with say just minor CT and glue?

Better to get a lower grade unrestored version with no marvel chipping for future resale purposes, but restored versions are readily available. A subscription to GPA isn't necessarily helpful with restored copies because there's so much variety in what's been done to a given issue, and GPA doesn't show you images of a given sale or always capture the CGC certification number :blahblah:

That aside, page quality still matters. Heritage's archive comes in handy. There was a c/ow 7.5 PLOD copy of AF #15 that went for $4,182.50 last November:

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7027&lotNo=91182

But that was extensive (P): "Restoration includes: color touch, pieces added, tear seals, cleaned, reinforced, re-glossed."

An ow/w moderate (P) went for $6,572.50 a year ago, and so on...

This one's right up you alley, a Slight (P) 8.5:

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=830&lotNo=91321 that went for $13,145 in Nov. '08...

(But I still think an unrestored 5.5 or 6.0 would be a better investment)