• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

That's the problem with restored AF15. The price depends on which way the wind blows. There are times when the deal is fantastic and others that make you scratch your head. It makes you think that the bidders know something about the particular copy but I don't think that is necessarily the case.

So, with that variability among restored copies of AF 15, shopping for a presentable blue label copy with ow or better page quality and no Marvel Chipping is an easier path to take. Set a budget and pursue the most bang for your buck...

Then show us what you picked up, of course...

I wonder what that 13K slight 8.5 would be with the work removed?

But it is trimmed - that would be a stonesure dealbreaker for most boardies right?

Are such copies available on a regular basis ? .

Well, trimmed is a dealbreaker for sure. Perhaps a few bidders for that lot bid up the price on the speculation that they could remove the resto in an attempt to gain an unrestored (albeit lower graded) copy for cheap (but if it's trimmed, you can't fix it doh! ). Expensive gamble to take...

The 5.5 that Bob Storms has on offer is pretty nice, particularly since it has no Marvel chipping:

5.5 ow

I wish I could afford it, though if I could, I wouldn't mention it here lol

Copies of AF 15, both restored and unrestored are readily available (and highly sought after, but you knew that).

You could get a restored copy that appears nicer, but long term, presentable unrestored copies are the blue chip investment.

(full disclaimer: I have a Silver Age Marvel bias)

As MCJ said, it is better to get a lower grade unrestored AF 15 with no chipping for future resale purposes.

I know that most of us don't want to sell, but I am pretty sure that we will all do it at some point in time in order to upgrade.

Cheers!

Dom :)

sold for $1,125.09

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMAZING-FANTASY-15-CGC-5-/110701746563?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c6569983#ht_398wt_261

This book, which supposedly sold very recently for just over 1,100, is back on eBay--and via the same seller. :confused:

he has 2 0.5's i believe, this one doesn't have the big missing chunk. The Blue slab pro did its trick (thumbs u i thought the same thing too when i 1st saw it. Initially i though it was flip of 2k

sold for $1,125.09

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMAZING-FANTASY-15-CGC-5-/110701746563?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c6569983#ht_398wt_261

This book, which supposedly sold very recently for just over 1,100, is back on eBay--and via the same seller. :confused:

he has 2 0.5's i believe, this one doesn't have the big missing chunk. The Blue slab pro did its trick (thumbs u i thought the same thing too when i 1st saw it. Initially i though it was flip of 2k

Nice catch! My bad. :doh:

That would've been one heckuva flip. :whistle:

Well, trimmed is a dealbreaker for sure. Perhaps a few bidders for that lot bid up the price on the speculation that they could remove the resto in an attempt to gain an unrestored (albeit lower graded) copy for cheap (but if it's trimmed, you can't fix it doh! ). Expensive gamble to take...

The 5.5 that Bob Storms has on offer is pretty nice, particularly since it has no Marvel chipping:

5.5 ow

Copies of AF 15, both restored and unrestored are readily available (and highly sought after, but you knew that).

You could get a restored copy that appears nicer, but long term, presentable unrestored copies are the blue chip investment.

I can post pictures of that 5.5 as it was raw before the grading, before the top chip came off of it.

I wanted a top grade looking book, so I waited for a nice 9.0 SA PLOD myself.

The restored copies should go up at a similar rate as the unrestored books, but resale is far more difficult. Think about whether your goals include a quick resale at some time, if so get an unrestored sopy.

5.5 ow

Decent looking book, but that grease pen is an eye sore to me. Also, wonder how much more that chip on the top will eventually go. 15k is a bit steep IMO. I think I saw this one get purchased for around 11k within the last 6 months.

Ok, I finally got my copy, a 3.0 with some chipping but my big focus points were no handwriting on the cover, beyond a minimally invasive date stamp, and no color breaks within the image of Spider-Man. This meets those hopes and I actually got it for less than either GPA or Overstreet which I really never thought would be possible for an AF15!

So, happy to finally be part of the club and to have a copy of something that seemed so inaccessible as a kid. I'm just glad the stars aligned so that I could actually get one since the market is doing its best to keep this unattainable.

112857.jpg.5bc704bd38997ecbb31232a94402aef6.jpg

I personally fee that marvel chipping for copies 3.5 and lower is just fine...great if you can find a copy without, but you will pay a premium for it...

if a copy and a price makes you happy, then that should be most of all that matters (thumbs u

I personally fee that marvel chipping for copies 3.5 and lower is just fine...great if you can find a copy without, but you will pay a premium for it...

if a copy and a price makes you happy, then that should be most of all that matters (thumbs u

I've always considered it par for course when dealing with low grades. I'm just not so excited to see it on anything VG or higher.

And Ebel, GREAT to hear you got such a good deal on this book! It's a nice looking copy and a real gem to any collection!

I've always considered it par for course when dealing with low grades. I'm just not so excited to see it on anything VG or higher.

And Ebel, GREAT to hear you got such a good deal on this book! It's a nice looking copy and a real gem to any collection!

Thanks Mac, it's the gem by far in mine so now I need to buy some more expensive books to make the collection not seem so lopsided. :grin:

MC sux :makepoint:

To each their own Pewee.

My 4.0 has some chipping on it and it doesn't bother me much at all since the rest of the book is very strong.

A massive stain on the cover, rusty staples, tan pages or foxing would ALL bother me MUCH MUCH more than chipping.

This constant dumping on MC is getting a little repetative. :foryou:

To each their own Pewee.

My 4.0 has some chipping on it and it doesn't bother me much at all since the rest of the book is very strong.

A massive stain on the cover, rusty staples, tan pages or foxing would ALL bother me MUCH MUCH more than chipping.

This constant dumping on MC is getting a little repetative. :foryou:

I understand but we will always have people on both sides of the fence pertaining to MC.

Maybe the Board needs to ban politics and MC discussions since these issues will always be debated (?)

lol (thumbs u

Free speech anyone. If we want to censure MC. Let's go ahead and ban Pressing, Greggy bashing, Comiclink Heritage and Pedigree bashing, Metropolis has high prices complaints, Danny Boy is still cheating people on Ebay, and any other topics that we like to beat into submission.

Oh and that reminds why is Marvel chipping regarded any worse than big color breaking creases, tan pages, couplons missing, staple pulls, rips or any other hideous defects?

If you hate Marvel chipping collect DCs.