• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

Now, I don't wanna start stirring a pot that I'm not 100% ready to stir yet... but what kind of AF15 could I be looking at for 2K? I'm getting pretty serious about it.

Maybe a FR / 1.0. :shrug:

You could probably get your hands on a 1.5 or so restored as well. If that HA 2.0 copy at $4k is any indicator of the market on a Universal GD, then you'll be hardpressed to get a restored GD for half that is my guess. You *might* be able to raw copy though in 1.5-1.8 for about that price though. That slab adds quite the premium to the price.

Maybe it is just me, but $4K for a 2.0 sounds a bit high. That kind of coin ought to get you into something starting with a 3 I would think. Was there something unusually good about the Heritage 2.0?

As for a raw book, I know if I were spending this kind of money I would want the peace of mind of a slabbed copy. Yes, there is a premium, but you know you are getting what you paid for. Personally I would rather pay market price for a known quantity than gamble four figures on something that is hopefully what is advertised.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I don't want a rag for a copy, so being that I can only "afford" $2K, I'm definitely going to have to avoid anything slabbed. i was hoping that maybe an ungraded 2.0 would fall into that price range? Or is that just wishful thinking at this point?

Everyone's threshold for risk is different, but I wouldn't feel at all comfortable buying a book for $2K from someone who wasn't extremely reputable. And chances are anyone reputable is going to be a dealer or fellow collector who knows what market price on that book is. As the old saying goes about things being too good to be true, you need to be really scared of seemingly cheap AF #15s.

That all being said, I think you'll still be able to score a book you can live with depending on what you can live with. You mentioned a "non-rag" of a copy, but that means different things to different people as we all can live with or absolutely hate certain defects. I can't stand creases and avoid them like the plague, spine splits don't bother me much in an otherwise pretty book. You may not get a 2.0 for $2K (I think that ship may have sailed) but with some patience and maybe a slightly higher budget you can join this select club.

FWIW, there is a PLOD 2.5 listed for the September Clink auction.

decided to grab this while i can :banana:

3AF15.JPG

:headbang:

Very nice!! I had my eye on this one as well, but didn't have the stones to pull the trigger. Congrats!!

Nice book!

Where was it sold from?

comiclink (thumbs u

... and they left the HA sticker on it? hm

I bet they add that damn Comiclink sticker to the back of the case ! doh!

strong price on the 8.0 heritage copy

What was the final hammer on the 8.0?

Oops, never mind. I see its 83,650 :eek:

That is a STRONG price! Man, to think 7-8 years ago that was a 10k book while i was out of the hobby!

10k barely gets you a 5.0 now doh!

strong price on the 8.0 heritage copy

What was the final hammer on the 8.0?

Oops, never mind. I see its 83,650 :eek:

That is a STRONG price! Man, to think 7-8 years ago that was a 10k book while i was out of the hobby!

10k barely gets you a 5.0 now doh!

AF15 has been on fire lately. Makes me want to hold my under copy and put it away much longer.

I've decided not to keep this win private. I've earned it and I present it to you. Be sure and read page 13 of the below link (it takes a minute to load) about the Sarley collection currently in the HA. Ed Sarley died suddenly in the early 70s and left this and many other comic gems. His AF15 is ultra fresh, with print day colors, and no resto (or pressing). It's now mine, and I can't decide whether to celebrate or cry. :acclaim::cry:

Life is short indeed.

http://comics.ha.com/c/ecatalog.zx?saleNo=7036

114645.jpg.bbfe7a09a8a67bdac87d96dd3e7df4b2.jpg

114646.jpg.93a0032facaaf970494dc219b280c1de.jpg