• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

so what is the odd that this PlOD will resurface unslabbed selling with Bijoubaby?

scammers on ebay fighting over PLOD because now they can relist the book as 9.0 and get some sucker to pay $6k or more?

my apology if a boardie won it for his or her own collection but I am jaded now whenever I see a PLOD trimmed that went for a high price.

Just spoke to a local collector friend that was visiting family in Ontario the past two weeks, went to some yard sales with his brother-in-law, and pulled out copy of AF #15 from one sale as part of a 4 books for $30 purchase. From his description it is in the 4.0 - 5.0 range, but no Marvel chipping. Not bad for a $7.50 investment. lol

Just spoke to a local collector friend that was visiting family in Ontario the past two weeks, went to some yard sales with his brother-in-law, and pulled out copy of AF #15 from one sale as part of a 4 books for $30 purchase. From his description it is in the 4.0 - 5.0 range, but no Marvel chipping. Not bad for a $7.50 investment. lol
:o pics please.

Yes, pics please. Every collector has heard a story like this a million times. My brother's girlfriend's cousin was at a garage sale...

Not saying you are making it up, but it would be nice to get confirmation that one of these stories was actually on the level and not a reprint that was overpriced at $7.50.

Yes, pics please. Every collector has heard a story like this a million times. My brother's girlfriend's cousin was at a garage sale...

Not saying you are making it up, but it would be nice to get confirmation that one of these stories was actually on the level and not a reprint that was overpriced at $7.50.

He is going to bring it by in a couple of weeks when he is in town for me to take a look at. I will check with him to see if he will allow me to post some pics here.

I believe him as he has been collecting for longer than I have and knows what he is doing. He has bought a lot of books off of me over the past decade or so. It was in a one of the four stacks from the late 50s through early 60s that the owner had. There were some late 50s DCs in rough shape that he passed on (Lois Lane #5 was the earliest he could recall) - he is picky with condition so he took the three other decent looking books he found (50s Dells, if I recall correctly) and the AF #15.

When I find a stack of late 50s and early 60s books that are priced at $7.50 ea (or maybe they were $10 each, but 4 for $30), I routinely just pick out 4 books from the stack instead of trying to negotiate a deal for the whole stack.

It's hard enough to find any books from that time period worth $7.50 even in low grade, right? Why bother getting them all or anything...

He asked the guy what he wanted for the books and the owner said what are you willing to pay. He had $30 on him so that is what he gave for the four books he wanted.

Personally, I would have offered him $30 for all of them to start off with as he would have probably taken it. However, my friend likely already has better copies of the low grade books he passed on and since he is looking for higher grade copies I can understand why he did it.

FWIW, I just received a pic of the book and it is the real deal. It also looks like it could be in better shape than he described. I am going to ask him if I can post it here.

Wow... looks like it is in the 5.0-6.0 range? What a score!!!

It will be interesting to see how CGC would treat it. There are small splits at the top and bottom of the spine, plus the tear/pull at the top staple. Otherwise, it looks like a very solid copy. My friend figured he might never own a decent copy so I am happy that he came across this one. (thumbs u

Good color, no chipping, nice corners... wow you have to let us know how it grades out if he decides to sub it.

I still can't believe in today's age with that thing the kids call the internet that stuff like this can still be found at a yard sale :applause:

BTW where in Ontario were these yard sales... I have to go and check that area out... must be Mennonites hm