• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

Well I'm now in the club thanks to a fellow forum member. I'm wondering what the best route to spruce it up is going to be, trying to get the top portion of the cover added by leaf casting, or get a repro cover placed over what's there now. Any thoughts on the cost/benefits of those methods and what of those scenarios would get a NG or purple label?

6669603565_ee32730f6c_z.jpg

Congrats! It's a great club. I personally would try to match a repro top portion to the overall condition of the remaining cover; keeping the book as original as possible while addressing that glaring issue.

But I have a higher low-grade threshold than most.

"Beat is Beautiful, Baby!"

Well I'm now in the club thanks to a fellow forum member. I'm wondering what the best route to spruce it up is going to be, trying to get the top portion of the cover added by leaf casting, or get a repro cover placed over what's there now. Any thoughts on the cost/benefits of those methods and what of those scenarios would get a NG or purple label?

6669603565_ee32730f6c_z.jpg

So if he had a non original cover attached profesionaly onto the book, would it get a restored grade or a .5-NG?

That is a clean cut, so it should be fairly easy to attach a top cover recreation piece that is also cleanly cut. However, that book still has issues and could use a full restoration job if you want it done right. I am told you still get a grade on the book unless you are missing either a majority of the front or back cover and use a copy, but I think a strip like that should be OK (if professionally done).

Good Luck!

I'm still wondering if a strip that big would have to be leaf-casted in and colored, or if there is some way the restorer can take a color copy with similar "wear" and trim it to fit and attach it. I'd like to use whatever is going to be the most cost effective while still getting a apparent grade and not a NG. I know there was a 4.5 PLOD that had a full cover color copy that somehow got a apparent grade instead of a NG.

I'm still wondering if a strip that big would have to be leaf-casted in and colored, or if there is some way the restorer can take a color copy with similar "wear" and trim it to fit and attach it. I'd like to use whatever is going to be the most cost effective while still getting a apparent grade and not a NG. I know there was a 4.5 PLOD that had a full cover color copy that somehow got a apparent grade instead of a NG.

I saw that coverless/cover copy 4.5 on ebay and I still don't understand how it got that grade.

I may be wrong, but im going to say that was a 1 time thing i wouldnt count on that ever happening again (thumbs u

Before I bought the AF15 earlier this week from Bunky Brian, I was bidding on a bad copy on eBay that had tape all over the cover, but I lost out in the last second and it sold for $1,365.00. I look at eBay today and barely a week later the winner has put it back up on eBay for $1,000 more:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-FANTASY-15-UNRESTORED-1962-Marvel-Comics-1st-Appearance-Spider-Man-/320828015079?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item4ab2d701e7

Before I bought the AF15 earlier this week from Bunky Brian, I was bidding on a bad copy on eBay that had tape all over the cover, but I lost out in the last second and it sold for $1,365.00. I look at eBay today and barely a week later the winner has put it back up on eBay for $1,000 more:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-FANTASY-15-UNRESTORED-1962-Marvel-Comics-1st-Appearance-Spider-Man-/320828015079?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item4ab2d701e7

Ha. I was following that original auction as well. That was some pretty fast shipping from the first seller.

Looking at the clearer pictures in this auction, I'm glad I didn't win it because the pages look a lot worse than the one I ended up with. I assume there's no way this would grade above a .5 with all that tape there would it?

I would guess a .5. That tape kills me. It looks like if the edges and spine were just left alone they would be chipped and brittle but otherwise okay. hm

Looking at the clearer pictures in this auction, I'm glad I didn't win it because the pages look a lot worse than the one I ended up with. I assume there's no way this would grade above a .5 with all that tape there would it?
Yikes! I wouldn't touch that fugly with my bare hands! :fear: AF#15 or not, just even looking at it gives me an eye sore! :facepalm:

I chuckled when I read that auction's description section which emphasizes the book as being unrestored. Sure looks like it suffered far worse abuse than what any form of restoration (professional at least) could ever do to it! :eek:

It took quite a while to find a decent low grade copy that was not a total rip off. Here is my recent addition after many lost attempts. I plan on it looking much nicer (p) at some point this year. :cloud9:

120243.jpg.a003a021c197cc0c14a232a27c7e4c70.jpg

It took quite a while to find a decent low grade copy that was not a total rip off. Here is my recent addition after many lost attempts. I plan on it looking much nicer (p) at some point this year. :cloud9:

120243.jpg

At least your copy still has some eye-appeal left. Congrats, and good luck with the resto job (assuming that's what you meant) ! :wishluck:

120243.jpg

At least your copy still has some eye-appeal left. Congrats, and good luck with the resto job (assuming that's what you meant) ! :wishluck:

Nice book is the writing really hard to see in person? If it were me id leave it :takeit:

That is black or dark blue marker scribble. Someone at some point decided to try to slightly touch up the marker mostly in the lighter color area where it stood out more. So, it is technically already slightly restored, that's another strong reason to just get it done right by a pro. Although it does not have near the tape problems of that other ebay copy being discussed, its also wise to remove those pieces of tape before it leaves the dark stain and starts destroying the paper. Of course, its also nice having a copy with great eye appeal on a reasonable budget. :wishluck: