• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

i would have no problem buying one raw from a boardie.

I'd still be careful. Someone can unknowingly sell a restored AF 15 with all the best intentions.

ok- So you buy a big book from a boardie, and during the negotiations the seller guarantees unrestored. The book comes back purple. Does the seller reimburse the fees and the purchase price. I would, but just wondering what protocol is.

I'd still be careful. Someone can unknowingly sell a restored AF 15 with all the best intentions.

Agreed, I have had three of my raw books come back PLOD, I missed the color touch on two, and the last one didn't look trimmed to me.

Most of the restoration of AF 15's occurred 25 years ago, on the mid grade and better books. Now I think it's likely a bigger deal with lower grade copies, because it doesn't make much sense to sell $10k plus copies ungraded.

That is, any high dollar raw copy is likely to be restored, those sellers know not to get them graded. Only buy the HG stuff in CGC slabs. The rest are a crapshoot also.

ok- So you buy a big book from a boardie, and during the negotiations the seller guarantees unrestored. The book comes back purple. Does the seller reimburse the fees and the purchase price. I would, but just wondering what protocol is.

There is no standard protocol. And guarantee or not, a deal for thousands of dollars that goes south is asking for trouble, even with the best of intentions on both sides. If I were buying an AF 15 (or SC 4 :luhv:) raw, I'd only get it from one of the larger dealers, who I know will be able to handle it if the deal goes south. Even then it's a risk I'm not sure I'd take.

Then there's the issue of the grade. Even with the highly subjective nature of grading, as things stand today, what CGC is true, what others say is an opinion. If you buy a 5.0 raw from someone and it comes back a blue 4.5, you just lost a good deal of money (~$3K). Would you expect a dealer to give you that three grand? I wouldn't.

Also, I'm not even sure that a raw AF 15 would be much cheaper than a graded one.

Also, I'm not even sure that a raw AF 15 would be much cheaper than a graded one.

For the HG books, it better be much cheaper. But of course most of them will be over graded, so how does that really work out if you pay say 20% under the graded price, if it's over graded by one or two grade steps? The risks are very high in buying any raw AF 15.

I bought mine in the late 80's to 1991, when there was no choice. I got two books graded at FVF and VF-, both priced over the grade, and both CGC'd below the seller grade. One was trimmed.

Don't buy a raw copy, unless you really really trust the seller, and there aren't many sellers who can detect a restored book. Just my opinion though,

For the HG books, it better be much cheaper. But of course most of them will be over graded, so how does that really work out if you pay say 20% under the graded price, if it's over graded by one or two grade steps? The risks are very high in buying any raw AF 15.

I bought mine in the late 80's to 1991, when there was no choice. I got two books graded at FVF and VF-, both priced over the grade, and both CGC'd below the seller grade. One was trimmed.

Don't buy a raw copy, unless you really really trust the seller, and there aren't many sellers who can detect a restored book. Just my opinion though,

I agree - just very tough to prevent PLODs! I always make sure the seller agrees to full refund if purple slab. Both times, it's happened (once a 6.0 and the other a 7.0 :sorry:) I got my money back but was SO dissapointed

This happened to me once. The seller refunded all my money down to the dollar, including cost of the book, CGC costs and all shipping charges. It was a no-lose situation for me though I felt pretty bad about it from the seller's end. This instance worked out but there's no guarantee that every boardie will conduct himself similarly.

who has the stones to buy this book raw nowadays?

Not a chance! I would love to flip through a copy, but I could have been out thousands of dollars if my purchase had come back restored.

How can you not look at a purchase like this as an investment?

My first submission is in for grading (G/VG ASM 1), hopefully it comes back unrestored... :wishluck:

who has the stones to buy this book raw nowadays?

Not a chance! I would love to flip through a copy, but I could have been out thousands of dollars if my purchase had come back restored.

How can you not look at a purchase like this as an investment?

My first submission is in for grading (G/VG ASM 1), hopefully it comes back unrestored... :wishluck:

:wishluck::popcorn:

My ticket to the club arrived this afternoon! Needless to say I'm thrilled...I'm gonna spend all evening just staring at it.

Ladies and Gentleman, my grail!

AmazingFantasy15CGC15SSStanLeeOwW.jpg

Great book man glad you held out and found one that fits your style. Now it's time to turn the rest of those labels yellow.