• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

My guess is 1.8

1962AF015-4140f-4.jpg

Yep. Best 1.8 of this book I have seen which is why I went after it, well centered, no chipping, Stans sig...a dream book for me :cloud9:

I am guessing it would have been a 2.5 Qualified otherwise or a 2.5 in a yellow SS slab? That is a nice 1.8.

Thanks. It may be worthy of a better grade one day maybe?

It was graded a long time ago, way back in August 2005.

Here is an idea, get Stan Lee to sign the book again on top of his original signature. Literally trace his own signature. Then get the book reslabbed and see what you get. I am guessing you would easily push it up to a 2.5 dare I say 3.0 if CGC shrugs at the old signature and only takes account of the newer one.

That's not something that would interest me. I may resub in the future for a possible bump, but I'm not that bothered. I love the book as is and I hate yellow label books. No offence to SS label chasers.

I never signed up for the forums here until now. Only had my registry setup. I got mine about 6 years ago. Was a CGC 4.5 but I open my slabs when I get them I only buy CGC to ensure what I'm getting..... I know blasphemy (tsk)

4ea7df5f.jpg

Welcome, and that is a beautiful copy. :golfclap:

I'm so jealous of the quality of the grades being pictured, the last 3 posted (6.0/1.8/4.5) all look really beautiful for their grade, chipping really does seem to make a big difference to the feeling of what you buy. I've been looking in the 6.0-7.0 region and most of the ones available have quite a lot of horrible chipping and i just can't bring myself to get one like that. That 4.5 above looks fantastic, i'd be happier buying that than the 7.0 on ebay,

I'm so jealous of the quality of the grades being pictured, the last 3 posted (6.0/1.8/4.5) all look really beautiful for their grade, chipping really does seem to make a big difference to the feeling of what you buy. I've been looking in the 6.0-7.0 region and most of the ones available have quite a lot of horrible chipping and i just can't bring myself to get one like that. That 4.5 above looks fantastic, i'd be happier buying that than the 7.0 on ebay,

I was shocked with how good the 4.5 looked. I saw pics before I bought it of course and figured there was no way it looked that good in person but it did. Then when I removed it from the case I was assuming there must be something wrong on the inside but nothing. It is just a beautiful book. I bet it would grade higher if i resubmitted.

My advice is to just wait until you find one that looks how you want it to look and don't get too caught up in the CGC grade. I passed on plenty of 5.0, 5.5, 6.0 that looked worse than my 4.5 does. I just made sure I waited til I knew I'd be happy and I made sure I wasn't outbid.

I was shocked with how good the 4.5 looked. I saw pics before I bought it of course and figured there was no way it looked that good in person but it did. Then when I removed it from the case I was assuming there must be something wrong on the inside but nothing. It is just a beautiful book. I bet it would grade higher if i resubmitted.

My advice is to just wait until you find one that looks how you want it to look and don't get too caught up in the CGC grade. I passed on plenty of 5.0, 5.5, 6.0 that looked worse than my 4.5 does. I just made sure I waited til I knew I'd be happy and I made sure I wasn't outbid.

Well done, that's exactly how it should be done.

Well done, that's exactly how it should be done.

I totally agree with this.

I knew what I wanted to spend, and I knew what sort of grade I was going to get for that money. There were plenty of 1.8's about but I did not like any of them. Then I came across my copy which had the features I wanted/did not want and a sig to boot (total bonus). I could not believe it was not snapped up.

I guess you need patience, perseverance and a deal of luck.

I just did not want an AF15 for the sake of it, I wanted the right one for me.

Good luck to all in your search for your very special copy.

Were there 2 different sizes of covers or is it just a fact that quite a lot of AF #15 have been trimmed? I'm looking around and only a few seem to have a full cover, the majority seem to have been trimmed to the right side where the chipping usually is and sometimes along the bottom as well. If they have been trimmed then i understand better how some nicer looking copies are graded lower. I'm surprised that CGC wouldn't mention on the label that it had been trimmed though,surely that's quite important?

Were there 2 different sizes of covers or is it just a fact that quite a lot of AF #15 have been trimmed? I'm looking around and only a few seem to have a full cover, the majority seem to have been trimmed to the right side where the chipping usually is and sometimes along the bottom as well. If they have been trimmed then i understand better how some nicer looking copies are graded lower. I'm surprised that CGC wouldn't mention on the label that it had been trimmed though,surely that's quite important?

If they suspect any trimming whatsoever they note it in the header and slab it in a purple copy.

so is there 2 different sizes of cover then because i could show you a couple of universal ones that have a full cover and a lot more that are in universal slabs that have a smaller trimmed looking cover. The 6.0 and the 4.5 listed here in the last few pages both have a smaller cover on the right side.

take a look at this 6.0 coming up in the upcoming comiclink auction, it looks to me like it's been trimmed because the bottom right of it looks slightly angled and the whole right side is not the same as a full cover

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2Fauctions%2Fpreview%2Easp%3Fcode%3D2012aug%26pg%3D2%23Item_936184&id=936184

so is there 2 different sizes of cover then because i could show you a couple of universal ones that have a full cover and a lot more that are in universal slabs that have a smaller trimmed looking cover. The 6.0 and the 4.5 listed here in the last few pages both have a smaller cover on the right side.

take a look at this 6.0 coming up in the upcoming comiclink auction, it looks to me like it's been trimmed because the bottom right of it looks slightly angled and the whole right side is not the same as a full cover

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2Fauctions%2Fpreview%2Easp%3Fcode%3D2012aug%26pg%3D2%23Item_936184&id=936184

That copy is just miscut slightly, which is a common printing defect. If you keep looking, you will tons of books that have miscuts much worse than that.

Trimming usually looks like a perfect edge, with both the cover edge and inside pages identical, flush with each other.

Strong sale figure for the 7.0 that went off on the CConnect auction this week - $53K ... the bar is getting higher with each passing month.

+1

I definitely noticed that! Almost DOUBLE what my 7.0 went for in late 2010! :o

Strong sale figure for the 7.0 that went off on the CConnect auction this week - $53K ... the bar is getting higher with each passing month.

+1

I definitely noticed that! Almost DOUBLE what my 7.0 went for in late 2010! :o

That sounds like someone thought it was a pressing candidate. Anyone have a link to the image they can post here?