• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

My 7.5 was sold on Heritage for $53K in 2009 and later bought by peewee during the AF15 downward trend for $45K. Great buy buy peewee and bought by me about a year ago for $54K, As I recalled, the CC 7.0 copy had an awesome spine, but the chips and some pre marvel chips were evident. Without the chips, the book would have been a 8.0+ book. Still a well presenting 7.0.

I wasn't able to detect the down trend you're referring to when peewee bought your 7.5 for $45K. That $52K sale was by far the highest a 7.5 had gone for, so it didn't surprise me that it resold for less--I expected it to resell for less, which is why I didn't bid peewee up. What makes you refer to that period as a downward trend? The book has been more flat than anything the last 3-4 years and the biggest upward trend the last few years has been at the sub-7.0 level. The sales over the last month do indicate a modest upward trend at the 7.x level, but that $53K sale isn't a good indicator until we see whether or not it hits the market again within the next few months.

I see your point. Only until this year, AF15 in 7.0+ has begun to make a move. I recalled a copy in 8.0 OW only sold for $60K which was around a few months after peewee pick up the 7.5 W sold for $45K. I also recalled a 7.0 OW/W Rocky Mountain sold for $34K and Sufunk 7.0 at $29K during that six months time frame in last quarter of 2009 and 2010. Overall, the lower grades AF15's has done a lot better and the HG AF15's making up the slack now.

I see your point. Only until this year, AF15 in 7.0+ has begun to make a move. I recalled a copy in 8.0 OW only sold for $60K which was around a few months after peewee pick up the 7.5 W sold for $45K. I also recalled a 7.0 OW/W Rocky Mountain sold for $34K and Sufunk 7.0 at $29K during that six months time frame in last quarter of 2009 and 2010. Overall, the lower grades AF15's has done a lot better and the HG AF15's making up the slack now.

I was the underbidder on that 8.0 OW that sold for $60K. I wasn't willing to bid more because the cover was a bit faded, at least from what you can tell in the scan. The only two 8.0s I've seen on the market since that one was the Mound City copy that went for $75K and we now know was bought for that much specifically to press it up to a 9.0, and the copy peewee bought for around $84K. Tough to say whether the 7.x - 8.x grades have really increased much--they still look primarily flat to me going by GPA results, with the average increase coming close to matching inflation. That's better than most of the rest of the Silver Marvel market, but still a tough spot for me to decide to park $50K - $100K with the threat of a prolonged economic drought hanging out there. hm

There has been a surge in the 7.0 and up market but that was spurred initially by two 7.0 consecutive copies on Clink that broke $40K earlier this year at auction. One of them upgraded to 7.5, the other looked even nicer than the first 7.0 but I don't know if it upgraded or not, but both books looked exceptional for 7.0 copies.

After that, prices took off so it seems that even if those two books were catalysts, the market has left them behind.

There was a very attractive 8.5 available a few months ago but it did not move at $135K. I believe that the owner may have now sold it in the $120K range (it was offered back to me at that price range and I heard rumour of a copy selling for that number but I'm not sure if that is the one or not). It was extremely attractive as an 8.5

While I think that the market for AF 15s is strong, it is by no means easy to predict. The problem is that the HA copies that sold in July were not that strong, and frankly I didn't think that the copy that appeared in the CC auction was that a strong a copy either.

The question of upgrade potential must always be asked in a sale, same as the question of centering, page quality, and marvel chipping.

In all honesty I agree with Rick. AF 15 7.0 is not yet a $50k book unless it has upgrade potential or something extreme in terms of eye appeal. I priced mine at $50k because if somebody really wants one without Marvel chipping and outstanding eye appeal, mine is certainly better than the comic connect copy.

However, I also don't think it's a $40k book. Some where in between is probably the right number, and probably closer to mid 40s than not for a superior copy.

Just keeping it real.

There has been a surge in the 7.0 and up market but that was spurred initially by two 7.0 consecutive copies on Clink that broke $40K earlier this year at auction. One of them upgraded to 7.5, the other looked even nicer than the first 7.0 but I don't know if it upgraded or not, but both books looked exceptional for 7.0 copies.

After that, prices took off so it seems that even if those two books were catalysts, the market has left them behind.

There was a very attractive 8.5 available a few months ago but it did not move at $135K. I believe that the owner may have now sold it in the $120K range (it was offered back to me at that price range and I heard rumour of a copy selling for that number but I'm not sure if that is the one or not). It was extremely attractive as an 8.5

the other 8.5 that sold was not this copy, and sold for a few K more than the copy you looked at roy... (thumbs u

While I think that the market for AF 15s is strong, it is by no means easy to predict. The problem is that the HA copies that sold in July were not that strong, and frankly I didn't think that the copy that appeared in the CC auction was that a strong a copy either.

The question of upgrade potential must always be asked in a sale, same as the question of centering, page quality, and marvel chipping.

In all honesty I agree with Rick. AF 15 7.0 is not yet a $50k book unless it has upgrade potential or something extreme in terms of eye appeal. I priced mine at $50k because if somebody really wants one without Marvel chipping and outstanding eye appeal, mine is certainly better than the comic connect copy.

However, I also don't think it's a $40k book. Some where in between is probably the right number, and probably closer to mid 40s than not for a superior copy.

Just keeping it real.

absolutely agree that not all 7.0's (or insert any grade) are created equal...so there has to be a scale, with the least attractive (whether color, or chipping, or centering or what), worst PQ 7.0 at the bottom, and the nicest at the higher end...

40-50K might be an accurate range for 7.0's...

50-65K might be an accurate range for 7.5

65-90/100K might be an accurate range for 8.0

100-125K might be an accurate range for 8.5, etc

really depends on the book , the seller, and the buyer...no two coconuts are the same (thumbs u

Nice list and prices of different variables Rick. I have to say the 8.0 should start at the low $75K. (shrug) I recall a 8.0 CRM/OW sold for that amount early this year.

Where was that?

Comic Connect exchange. Anyone recall this copy also. Oops 8.0 in October 2010 also recorded by GPA. (thumbs u

Nice list and prices of different variables Rick. I have to say the 8.0 should start at the low $75K. (shrug) I recall a 8.0 CRM/OW sold for that amount early this year.

Where was that?

Comic Connect exchange. Anyone recall this copy also. Oops 8.0. (thumbs u

It's not in their auction archive. So far all their sales I've noted show up in their archive, but I'm not seeing that one.

lowest recent 8.0 sale was in the mid 60's, so that is why I started there...

real world, 75 might be bottom, but my list is just a realistic range...the "medium" if you will...doesn't account for extremes at both ends (thumbs u

Where was that?

Comic Connect exchange. Anyone recall this copy also. Oops 8.0. (thumbs u

It's not in their auction archive. So far all their sales I've noted show up in their archive, but I'm not seeing that one.

From my last post.

Comic Connect exchange. Anyone recall this copy also. Oops 8.0 in October 2010 also recorded by GPA. \(thumbs u I remember seeing this copy on the exchange.

real world, 75 might be bottom, but my list is just a realistic range...the "medium" if you will...doesn't account for extremes at both ends (thumbs u

I like your choice of words...extreme bottom ends...and extreme upper end. We love u Rick! (worship)

I like your choice of words...extreme bottom ends...and extreme upper end. We love u Rick! (worship)

Does a book have a history, ie, any authenticity paperwork accompany it?

Many books have a history tale although not pedigree.

Collectors love a story with an expensive book. That helps market it and maintain it's value IMO. (thumbs u

Collectors love a story with an expensive book. That helps market it and maintain it's value IMO. (thumbs u

A history of a book...pedigree or not makes it special. I guess, the higher the grade, since it's rarer...makes it even more special. :)

A history of a book...pedigree or not makes it special. I guess, the higher the grade, since it's rarer...makes it even more special. :)

I would love to find out the information about my copies. I understand why some would call the 6.0 copy I picked up in the Heritage auction as not too strong. I was pleased with it though as it satisfied my main requirements in what I was looking for which was no chipping, writing, date stamps and it needed to have OW or better pages. The book was supposedly part of the Empire State Comics Collection and I was interested in finding out about that collection so I could know where the book came from. I could not find anything about it online.

I know who I bought my under copies off of and should eventually ask those sellers where they picked them up from before they forget.

I would love to find out the information about my copies. I understand why some would call the 6.0 copy I picked up in the Heritage auction as not too strong. I was pleased with it though as it satisfied my main requirements in what I was looking for which was no chipping, writing, date stamps and it needed to have OW or better pages. The book was supposedly part of the Empire State Comics Collection and I was interested in finding out about that collection so I could know where the book came from. I could not find anything about it online.

I know who I bought my under copies off of and should eventually ask those sellers where they picked them up from before they forget.

I can understand the high resolution scans at Heritage, folks can scrutinize all the flaws. Your copy presents just fine and you were happy without the flaws you mentioned. Regarding the Empire Collection, it was part of Jim Furfferi a dealer and shop owner in Rochester NY. I receive on of the Empire Comics Collection catalog. You can request one of this catalog since you spent a handsome amount on the AF15 6.0. (thumbs u