• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

I think following the census is kinda unrealistic

Those higher grade sent in are usually prime examples. I bet you this hoarder has a range from 7.0 down.

Prove me wrong as i'd love to see them.

Yes this topic is imaginary without pics and it would be tough to photoshop a fake group shot.

Those higher grade sent in are usually prime examples. I bet you this hoarder has a range from 7.0 down.

Yeah, anyone can SAY they have a 9.2 or 9.4, and SAY they have a hoard of 65 comics. I'm sure it's still a hoard but it's probably more like 40, and the highest grade is 7.0.

BUT, even if they're exagerating.... that would still be one heck of a hoard.

My biggest "hoards" are TTA 35 (12 copies with 8.0 as the highest) and Strange Tales 110 (11 copies with 8.0 as the highest). I can't even imagine having 65 or either one.

Yeah, anyone can SAY they have a 9.2 or 9.4, and SAY they have a hoard of 65 comics. I'm sure it's still a hoard but it's probably more like 40, and the highest grade is 7.0.

My biggest "hoards" are TTA 35 (12 copies with 8.0 as the highest) and Strange Tales 110 (11 copies with 8.0 as the highest). I can't even imagine having 65 or either one.

I can't speak to the exact number, but if I'm not mistaken, G.A.tor has actually seen the box.

Strong logic, Wayne-tec.....It's have to say the universe of remaining copies is 3,500-4,000

My initial instinct was to say around 10,000 - 15,000 copies, but that doesn't seem to be too realistic. The majority of the copies we see made available are slabbed, at the very least over 50%.

If you doubled the total of slabbed copies, it would only total 3,600.

I think wayne tec is in the ball park at 10k copies...I believe I had at one point seen the print run somewhere in the 250K range?...surely 5-10% still exist today, as is the case with most early SA books...we were post paper drives, and already into the era of collecting...

the statement "the majority we see available are slabbed" is pretty indicative of the market...if folks decide to sell an AF15, they typically do slab it...but the number of copies "for sale" is not indicative of the number of copies out there that are raw that are "not for sale"

I know a collector in GA, that has (last time I was at his house) an entire short box of AF15's (all raw, probably 100+ of them)... I have seen hundreds of raw copies in travels, compared to maybe 10-20% that number slabbed

10K is probably a conservative # imo

Darth_Vadercopy-1_zps271029fc.jpg

(worship)

I can't speak to the exact number, but if I'm not mistaken, G.A.tor has actually seen the box.

and there are a couple of boardies that are also familiar with this collector but for very obvious reasons little to no info will be publicly posted (thumbs u

This collector has been "accumulating" copies for 40 years (and keep in mind, he doesn't just have af15's :o ). He has from time to time sold stuff. A few boardies know I got a sc22 off him that ended up cgc 9.0. Quite honestly I find it more difficult to believe that folks don't assume there are more collectors like this out there. Keep in mind we are not talking about purchasing these today. You have to understand the frame of reference.

Are some restored? Probably. Are a few high grade? I can say absolutely, one has already been cgc'd an above 9.0 grade . Are the majority low to mid grade? Reasonable assumption.

it is a site to behold...he has built a 3000 (I think that is what he said, been more than a year since I visited him) sq foot "room/rooms" onto his house, that is home to his collectibles...

I met this customer some 15-20 years ago when we started selling action figures...he used to buy mutiple cases from me, of every asst (star trek, star wars, etc)...he is just an "accumulator"...and he obvioulsy has more money than he knows what to do with (he is very wealthy, so while I am sure the net value of his comics and stuff are not insignificant to him, if he lost them all he wouldn't lose any sleep over money, type wealthy)

that said, I don't want to say too much more, as I am not too sure who out there might recognize or put 2 and 2 together, and I want to keep this "stash" a "stash" should I be the one that one day gets to buy/broker!

Merry Christmas to all!

Merry Christmas to all, and I appreciate the collectors out there who do accumulate things. In the end, they do help the hobby, as they take better care of things than a lot of amateur small time collectors do. It is a significant investment of time and money to research and buy the best storage materials. It is much easier now than when I began, so things are different now.

With Superior Spider-man causing me to shake my head... debating about selling off 101-Current (-122, 123, 129) and all my duplicates below 100 to chase another AF15...

Hmm

With Superior Spider-man causing me to shake my head... debating about selling off 101-Current (-122, 123, 129) and all my duplicates below 100 to chase another AF15...

Hmm

I did a sell off similar to the above to purchase an AF15 and have no regrets. Make sure you keep 121 which I think is a seminal book...besides Gwen was way hotter than MJ. lol